View Single Post
Old 12-26-2022, 10:16 AM
great white

Painting the 319 has inspired me to "re-do" my sewing area. Right now, it's just a mess of an alcove in the loft with 3 separate tables jammed in there:

I refer to it as "The Sewing Nook".

The hole is where the 319 lives. You can see the white rotary hook and the singer 331k105 in the background. I rebuild vintage audio stuff as well and that's the big box sitting on the 331k (Sansui 8080DB), inside a plastic bag with baking soda to absorb the smell of cigarettes.

I have an old dining room table that used to belong to my wife's parents. it's the table she grew up with and it's roughly 2" thick hardwood. She's fine if I cut it up, she has no attachment to it. There's more than enough of it to make the whole table top. I'm a decent woodworker as well as mechanic, so I'll make it all myself.

The plan (as it stands now) is to remove the dedicated cabinets and build a "C" shaped table to almost fit the area. I need it to stand off the walls roughly an inch so longer sewn objects can feed through the machine and be able to feed off the table without bunching.

the 319 will go in the position it currently resides, then the white and the Kenmore free-arm will go on the long back wall. he 331 will be in the position it currently is. Each machine (except the industrial) will get an electric power lift so I can drop them and have a nice large layout/cutting surface.

Lifters will be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN9vz9IgrrA&t=95s

Simple enough to make from a few chair lift motors and a couple switches. Those in the video go for somewhere around 1500 bucks a piece, so 4500 is just a bit too dear for three lifters so my lathe and mill will come in to play and I'll make my own lift rails to go with some surplus furniture lift motors. Only bummer is they're usually 24v motors, but that's just a matter of finding the right power supply.

The table will be a spring project as my garage space is currently full for winter with the Mustang, Corvette, Wife's mini cooper and my FJ1200. Not to mention all my tools and other machines. Can't even get to my table saw at the moment.....

Last edited by great white; 12-26-2022 at 10:19 AM.