Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 53 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3 43 52 53 54 63 103 153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 6168

Thread: [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

  1. #1301
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    I was working with my Xmas DJ blocks today. It was really fun looking at the names of the piecers...looking at the blocks, organizing and such. I really am excited about putting this together. I've decided to do a table runner. I end up with three blocks leftover, so I'm going to do a small doll quilt with the others for my doll quilt collection. I may make one more block in xmas fabrics so I can put 4 together in the quilt. Lots of fun, and being as sentimental as I am, a very big treasure to me!

  2. #1302
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    I was working with my Xmas DJ blocks today. It was really fun looking at the names of the piecers...looking at the blocks, organizing and such. I really am excited about putting this together. I've decided to do a table runner. I end up with three blocks leftover, so I'm going to do a small doll quilt with the others for my doll quilt collection. I may make one more block in xmas fabrics so I can put 4 together in the quilt. Lots of fun, and being as sentimental as I am, a very big treasure to me!
    I'm doing a table runner too! lol I only did one set, but even so, it's too big for our table if I use them all, so I've broken them into two groups as well. I'll get two whole table runners, have them pieced together just working on a border.

  3. #1303
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    the christmas red, green, gold swap had 49 people sign up and 47 people actually sent in blocks.

    i thought that was great to have only 2 people drop out.

    so far more people are into doing an entire jane then in the swaps.

    hopefully the cyber party will have the same high completion ratio.

  4. #1304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    We are the coolest bunch ever!! :-)

    It's a huge thrill knowing that we'll all be working at the same time on the same project. It must be some kind of record, surely. ;-)
    Okay guys, my former PR days are twinkling...I think we ought to interest a magazine into writing an article about this..wouldn't that be fun. We should wait until we are a little further into it, but I think we could get some press...I'll bet they'll put KLue's photo in the article as well as some of our blocks. I think it would be a cool piece, don't you think?
    oh, i think a bunch of magazines would be willing to write about it.

    we might even be able to get quilts shows and museums to put them on display.

    i think it would make an awesome show that could travel around the globe. the quilts don't have to be show stoppers for people to have interest - just the fact that a group got together over the internet and made 66 janes in 18 months will bring the public in to check them out.

  5. #1305
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    We are the coolest bunch ever!! :-)

    It's a huge thrill knowing that we'll all be working at the same time on the same project. It must be some kind of record, surely. ;-)
    Okay guys, my former PR days are twinkling...I think we ought to interest a magazine into writing an article about this..wouldn't that be fun. We should wait until we are a little further into it, but I think we could get some press...I'll bet they'll put KLue's photo in the article as well as some of our blocks. I think it would be a cool piece, don't you think?
    oh, i think a bunch of magazines would be willing to write about it.

    we might even be able to get quilts shows and museums to put them on display.

    i think it would make an awesome show that could travel around the globe. the quilts don't have to be show stoppers for people to have interest - just the fact that a group got together over the internet and made 66 janes in 18 months will bring the public in to check them out.
    Wow, can you imagine. I think you're right KLue. We should start working a few curators and see what we can get in terms of interest. Too bad we can't find a sponsor or two to help offset costs of fabrics and such for our quilters that need help financially. I wonder if Moda or some other manufacturer might be interested in some sort of sponsorship...anyone have any connections?

  6. #1306
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    If I had connections in Moda, you'd know about it! LOL I'd be yelling it from the rooftops! ;-)

  7. #1307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    We are the coolest bunch ever!! :-)

    It's a huge thrill knowing that we'll all be working at the same time on the same project. It must be some kind of record, surely. ;-)
    Okay guys, my former PR days are twinkling...I think we ought to interest a magazine into writing an article about this..wouldn't that be fun. We should wait until we are a little further into it, but I think we could get some press...I'll bet they'll put KLue's photo in the article as well as some of our blocks. I think it would be a cool piece, don't you think?
    oh, i think a bunch of magazines would be willing to write about it.

    we might even be able to get quilts shows and museums to put them on display.

    i think it would make an awesome show that could travel around the globe. the quilts don't have to be show stoppers for people to have interest - just the fact that a group got together over the internet and made 66 janes in 18 months will bring the public in to check them out.
    Wow, can you imagine. I think you're right KLue. We should start working a few curators and see what we can get in terms of interest. Too bad we can't find a sponsor or two to help offset costs of fabrics and such for our quilters that need help financially. I wonder if Moda or some other manufacturer might be interested in some sort of sponsorship...anyone have any connections?
    i don't have a distributor but i do shop online a lot.

    i'd be willing to approach Whittles (i know they have an actual shop) and see how they feel about the idea.

    i purchased the bulk of my jane fabric from them and a few other people did too.

    i would tell them that we'd send them X amount of finished Janes to display in their shop during whichever 6 weeks that they like.

    they in turn could supply some fabric to the people in the group that need it for their jane.

    i think its a great way to get people to come to their shop and get inspired to spend money. they could play up the fact that many of the janes on display used fabric from their shop.

    what do you guys think of that? do you know of other places that would be interested in the conversation?

  8. #1308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    blue

    do you think your LSQ would be interested in such an arrangement?

    since you live so far away it might still be hard to get you some fabric.

    i would be more than happy to send my jane to New Zealand for them to display in their shop.

    i could send my christmas jane swap quilts too.

  9. #1309
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    *claps hands excitedly*

    This just gets better and better doesn't it! If we make it into a magazine, you guys have to promise to send me a copy! :-)

  10. #1310
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    blue

    do you think your LSQ would be interested in such an arrangement?

    since you live so far away it might still be hard to get you some fabric.

    i would be more than happy to send my jane to New Zealand for them to display in their shop.

    i could send my christmas jane swap quilts too.
    You've got my brain spinning now.... DJ is not well known down here, but my favourite quilt shop lady has heard of it. We do have a quilting magazine here that I think would be interested too. I don't think I could get a discount on the fabrics or financial help at all, but I'm not too worried about that.

    A display would be amazing wouldn't it.... the link between Jane in the 1800s, isolated and in such a different world, and us modern ladies connected by invisible threads around the globe.

    I'm so excited now I can barely string a sentence together!

  11. #1311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    blue

    do you think your LSQ would be interested in such an arrangement?

    since you live so far away it might still be hard to get you some fabric.

    i would be more than happy to send my jane to New Zealand for them to display in their shop.

    i could send my christmas jane swap quilts too.
    You've got my brain spinning now.... DJ is not well known down here, but my favourite quilt shop lady has heard of it. We do have a quilting magazine here that I think would be interested too. I don't think I could get a discount on the fabrics or financial help at all, but I'm not too worried about that.

    A display would be amazing wouldn't it.... the link between Jane in the 1800s, isolated and in such a different world, and us modern ladies connected by invisible threads around the globe.

    I'm so excited now I can barely string a sentence together!
    i know, me too!!

    i think fons and porter magazine will be very interested in doing a piece on it.

  12. #1312
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    how do you guys feel about making a group blog that we could all have access to.

    we could all take a turn each week to write a post talking about jane, the cyber party, quilting, tips that you picked up along the way, etc.

    basically you'd put up a post about whatever you want.

  13. #1313
    Senior Member Brazen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    338
    I love the idea of a huge group blog!! It would have SOOOO many readers!

  14. #1314
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    how do you guys feel about making a group blog that we could all have access to.

    we could all take a turn each week to write a post talking about jane, the cyber party, quilting, tips that you picked up along the way, etc.

    basically you'd put up a post about whatever you want.
    I really like that idea.... kind of like a diary entry from each person. It would be a lot easier to follow the "story"... without all the extra bits we have in a thread like this.

  15. #1315
    Super Member Janstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cashmere, Wa.
    Posts
    3,950
    Sounds great to me! I will happily contribute.


    Klue, I made the smallest piece in a block that I have ever in my life made! Thanks to you! I-7. Amazing!! You are a magician!

  16. #1316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Janstar
    Sounds great to me! I will happily contribute.


    Klue, I made the smallest piece in a block that I have ever in my life made! Thanks to you! I-7. Amazing!! You are a magician!
    that is so great!!

    i tried to make a sample when i redraft the applique blocks to PP but i just haven't had the time to try the redraft of I7 yet.

    thats great news that it works because those tiny triangles would be a killer to applique (at least for me) and keep sharp points.

  17. #1317
    Super Member luvmortherest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    1,569
    i think a blog sounds fun i have never done one before but then again i had never done a block swap before either

  18. #1318
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    What if we could get on the Fons & Porter quilt show!!!!!!!!!! Hey, might as well think big...it's the way that dreams happen, right?!!!

    and yes, I think your idea is fantastic! A web site would be fun...

  19. #1319
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    I will have to go have a coffee with the owner of my favourite shop and toss some ideas around. I'm not very good at "negotiating" though.... in actual fact, I suck at it. But she's a good lady and will have some good ideas, if I can get her keen enough. The thought of an international flavour must be tempting for her, especially if an article can appear in our NZ Quilter, it would be good advertising for her.

  20. #1320
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    I will have to go have a coffee with the owner of my favourite shop and toss some ideas around. I'm not very good at "negotiating" though.... in actual fact, I suck at it. But she's a good lady and will have some good ideas, if I can get her keen enough. The thought of an international flavour must be tempting for her, especially if an article can appear in our NZ Quilter, it would be good advertising for her.
    it can't hurt to have the conversation.

    maybe at first she won't see the big picture but as we get going you'll be able to show photos of everyone's blocks along with letting her read/follow the blog.

    i think everyone should try and pitch the idea were they shop for fabric.

    its a really good way for them to drum up business and in this economy people really need to think of interesting ways to get people to come to the store and then spend their money.

  21. #1321
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    I think so too. Once we've started and the photos are rolling in it will stop being an idea and become an actual event.

    It must capture the imagination of all sorts of people though..... for Jane to send a message across the world in her time (not that she would have known anyone down here) would have taken months, and chances are it would never have made it. And here we sit in our own living rooms, sending messages that arrive on the other side of the world pretty much instantly. We're involved in a sewing circle that Jane could never have imagined in her wildest dreams.

  22. #1322
    Super Member Janstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cashmere, Wa.
    Posts
    3,950
    It's pretty cool when you think about it!

  23. #1323
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    I don't know what it's like in America, but over here there's anger over things like cyber bullying, and scams, and identity theft, and all the other nasty things that can happen to you on the net, with a lot of people seeing the internet as a "bad thing".
    It would be nice to show off the positive side for a change!

  24. #1324
    Super Member sewsewquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    I can't even paint decent stick figures, so you're ahead of me! LOL
    Ditto! You and me both Blue.

    :lol:

  25. #1325
    Super Member sewsewquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    2,170
    Wow you guys! How fun is all of this talk. You guys are wonderful.

Page 53 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3 43 52 53 54 63 103 153 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.