Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 31 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 11th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Ready To Start Today

11th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Ready To Start Today

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to our 11th mystery. Climb aboard, new and returning passengers, for our next mystery quilt train ride. As always, in the club car the porter has fresh coffee, regular and decaf, and hot water for tea, regular and decaf, and assorted herbals, along with croissants, Danish and fresh fruit for your enjoyment as we begin this next trip. We never go hungry on these train rides, as past passengers can attest.

Today you will get yardage for this project which, hopefully, will appeal to beginners and advance quilters alike. To me, the fun is in trying anticipate the final project. Next clue will be posted on September 5th and on succeeding Saturdays, by 9:00 MST at the very latest. This time, our journey will last for another 3 weeks and on September 19th, you will have a table runner about 42” x 18”for the dining room or kitchen, or perhaps that rectangular living room coffee table -- choose your fabrics accordingly.

As you can see from my fabrics, I have chosen to make a fall runner, and I am going to make two runners of the same pattern in different seasonal patterns to make the runner reversible, giving me two new runners. (On the dining room table I usually put out a fall runner the beginning of September, change it to a Halloween runner October 1st for that month, then back to fall until the Friday after Thanksgiving, when out comes the Christmas runner!)

So now, with that said, listed below is what you will need from your stash or at the store. There will be 3 colors, and I would suggest perhaps a small-print focus (the largest of the leaves shown is a bit less than 3” across) with two solid, mottled, blender, or tone on tone fabrics. The green, a mottled, and the gold, a solid, match the colors of my leaves. Naturally, these colors are a guide only, and as always, any questions about your choices posted on this thread or in a PM will be cheerfully answered.
    Color A -- 18” of a focus fabric
    Color B -- (the gold is my B) 18”
    Color C -- (the green is my C) 12”

For the binding, you will need approximately three strips that measure 2-1/4” or 2-1/2” wide WOF, depending on the width you like your binding. I am using my C fabric, you may wish to do something different after you have it all sewn together.

Looking forward to our new trip, seems like a long time ago we ended the last mystery. Can't wait to see the fabrics you will be using.

NOTE: this pattern would also look terrific as a square table topper, a lap quilt or a bed quilt. Or it could be longer, about 54” for those extra-long dining tables. Naturally you would need much more fabric. If you wanted a square topper or a longer version, make sure you have about half again as much fabric as called for. After you finish the runner, you would be able to calculate how much would be needed for a larger project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 08-29-2015 at 06:49 AM.
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

Blog Entries
    Yay! Off to dig in the stash! Thanks, Judy.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    I have that same fabric Think I will make a new fall one and a Christmas one. Thanks Judy!!

It's really nice that this does not require buying a lot of yardage. Thanks once again!!
    Dotty in NYC

Yay! Okay!! Thanks Judy!! What fun! Left cupcakes with little trains on them in the club car.

Blog Entries
    running to Bluebonnets cupcakes...I 'call' the tiny red caboose !

Blog Entries
    Yippee!
    Love the fall/Halloween dual purpose runner idea!
    "What day is it?" asked Pooh
    "It's today." squeaked Piglet
    "That's my favorite day!" said Pooh

Looks like fun, once again, you are so talented, and we are so thankful for your time and patience with these mystery trains. My only question, is the colors all width of fabric?

Anngel, sorry, yes, all width of fabric. My bad. usually add that to the yardage.

Blog Entries
    How much fabric do you think we need for 54" table runner? Excited for the project. Love table runners.
    Thanks j
    Judy .

Glad to jump on board and glad the project is smaller this time. More likely that I'll get it done sooner rather than later like all my other UFO's.

Blog Entries
    need a fall table runner for myself and as a gift. thanks again for all you do for us Judy. we all know how much time it must take from you and that you give to us. I hope there are still cupcakes left in the club car. Off to see what I have for this one.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I was just going to follow along with this one because of too many UFO's but I do not have a table runner, so I will join in on the fun!

Connie

Great,fall colors and a runner.yippee!! Hope Lynnie didn't finish off the cupcakes already.lol. Thanks Judy.
    Mary

Almost forgot. Good thing it was on my computers calendar.

I'm smack dab in the middle of quilting 3 tops for Christmas gifts, but, I think I can do this. Will give me something to do when my hands or brain get tired and/or stressed. Will add goodies on the next stop. Thanks Judy

Looking forward to enjoying these new projects!

Great start -- thanks, Judy. I don't need a fall runner, but do need a nice Christmas one as I've been using a "10 minute runner", so will be doing this in Christmas fabrics. Off to raid my stash....

Bluebonnets -- the cupcakes are darling. I took one to eat later after I finish lunch.

I'm on board.Love fall colors......
    Mary

So glad y'all are enjoying the cupcakes! There's still a few left...

I have grands coming over today so I won't be able to go stash diving till Monday, what fun that will be! Still, I already know that I'm going for the blues. My dining room is slowly getting redone in blues to match some blue China pieces DH bought in Amsterdam. I have two fat quarters from a quilt store in Branson, Mo and I hope, hope that'll work for my focus.

As I said, you will need about 1/3 more fabric - for example instead of 18" of A you'd need 24". Maybe a bit more to be on the safe side. I won't be giving directions for other sizes, but when you get the parts completed, you will know what to do to make it larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
    How much fabric do you think we need for 54" table runner? Excited for the project. Love table runners.
    Thanks j
    Judy .
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 08-29-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Hello to so many of you returning for another mystery!

And I see a few new names, too, welcome. We always have fun on these rides, and don't worry about the club car, it will not have anything fattening on the tables!

Yippee! I have the perfect fabric and had already pulled it out to make a fall runner. That is great timing! Thanks Judy for reading my mind! I can't wait to start!
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

Blog Entries
    You read my mind too, Judy, because I had recently come across some Halloween fabric that I thought I would make a table topper out of. Yay!

OK I'm using the chicken fabric for the main one. Now which combo to use with it? The blue ,brown,or green? All three colors are in the focus one.Even if the pictures don't show it. Please send your opions. thanks Mary The green looks like dark brown in the second picture. The first picture shows truer colors. Sorry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mary

Page 1 of 31 1 2 11 ... LastLast