Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
11th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Ready To Start Today >

11th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Ready To Start Today

11th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Ready To Start Today

Old 08-29-2015, 06:33 AM

Default 11th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Ready To Start Today

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to our 11th mystery. Climb aboard, new and returning passengers, for our next mystery quilt train ride. As always, in the club car the porter has fresh coffee, regular and decaf, and hot water for tea, regular and decaf, and assorted herbals, along with croissants, Danish and fresh fruit for your enjoyment as we begin this next trip. We never go hungry on these train rides, as past passengers can attest.

Today you will get yardage for this project which, hopefully, will appeal to beginners and advance quilters alike. To me, the fun is in trying anticipate the final project. Next clue will be posted on September 5th and on succeeding Saturdays, by 9:00 MST at the very latest. This time, our journey will last for another 3 weeks and on September 19th, you will have a table runner about 42” x 18”for the dining room or kitchen, or perhaps that rectangular living room coffee table -- choose your fabrics accordingly.

As you can see from my fabrics, I have chosen to make a fall runner, and I am going to make two runners of the same pattern in different seasonal patterns to make the runner reversible, giving me two new runners. (On the dining room table I usually put out a fall runner the beginning of September, change it to a Halloween runner October 1st for that month, then back to fall until the Friday after Thanksgiving, when out comes the Christmas runner!)

So now, with that said, listed below is what you will need from your stash or at the store. There will be 3 colors, and I would suggest perhaps a small-print focus (the largest of the leaves shown is a bit less than 3” across) with two solid, mottled, blender, or tone on tone fabrics. The green, a mottled, and the gold, a solid, match the colors of my leaves. Naturally, these colors are a guide only, and as always, any questions about your choices posted on this thread or in a PM will be cheerfully answered.
Color A -- 18” of a focus fabric
Color B -- (the gold is my B) 18”
Color C -- (the green is my C) 12”

For the binding, you will need approximately three strips that measure 2-1/4” or 2-1/2” wide WOF, depending on the width you like your binding. I am using my C fabric, you may wish to do something different after you have it all sewn together.

Looking forward to our new trip, seems like a long time ago we ended the last mystery. Can't wait to see the fabrics you will be using.

NOTE: this pattern would also look terrific as a square table topper, a lap quilt or a bed quilt. Or it could be longer, about 54” for those extra-long dining tables. Naturally you would need much more fabric. If you wanted a square topper or a longer version, make sure you have about half again as much fabric as called for. After you finish the runner, you would be able to calculate how much would be needed for a larger project.
Attached Thumbnails img_2004.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 08-29-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:35 AM

Yay! Off to dig in the stash! Thanks, Judy.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:40 AM

I have that same fabric Think I will make a new fall one and a Christmas one. Thanks Judy!!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:40 AM

It's really nice that this does not require buying a lot of yardage. Thanks once again!!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:55 AM

Yay! Okay!! Thanks Judy!! What fun! Left cupcakes with little trains on them in the club car.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:06 AM

running to Bluebonnets cupcakes...I 'call' the tiny red caboose !
Old 08-29-2015, 07:23 AM

Yippee!
Love the fall/Halloween dual purpose runner idea!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:29 AM

Looks like fun, once again, you are so talented, and we are so thankful for your time and patience with these mystery trains. My only question, is the colors all width of fabric?
Old 08-29-2015, 07:41 AM

Anngel, sorry, yes, all width of fabric. My bad. usually add that to the yardage.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:49 AM

How much fabric do you think we need for 54" table runner? Excited for the project. Love table runners.
Thanks j
Judy .