Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 03-05-2016, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
These are good. Hope you like pecans--I love 'em so loaded up the batter with them! See you all in the morning!
Love nuts "in" the brownies, not sprinkled on top, a brownie is not a brownie without nuts running all thru it, and these are major good. Thanks.

Default Ready to sew?

NOTICE – ALERT – So, I had told you that the mystery will end on 3/19 with clue 4. However, I will be out of town from the 10th to the 14th with no access to a computer, so there will be no clue posted on the 12th. That said, this week there will be clues for week 2 and what would have been clue 3. And will finish on the 19th as planned. All clear? Hope so. I will be available, as I can log into the QB with my Ipad, but by the time I leave, you all will probably be finished with this clue.

I’ve had PMs with questions about the F through M fabrics. You won’t be cutting them until the 19th so you still have a while to decide. Set aside your light and dark pieces for the final clue.

Grab your rotary cutter and ruler and let’s start. As aalwyas, accurate 1/4" seams are a necessity.

From Fabric E cut 2” strips and sub-cut into 2” squares. You need 32 E fabric squares.

From the A B C D fabrics, from EACH color, cut 2-1/2” strips and sub-cut into 16 squares from each fabric that measure 2-1/2” squares. (16 of A, 16 of B, etc.) Set aside for next clue. I’m having you cut them, so you don’t need to drag out these colors again.

From EACH of the four fabrics A B C D you will need a strip about 8” long by 1-1/4” (or 1-3/8” or 1-1/2” if you will be trimming to size. I have trouble with tiny blocks like these and always over-cut my strips and then trim). As you can see, I sewed together a blue and a red, and then a green and a yellow. Press seams gently to the dark without stretching the block. Cut 4 pieces from each strata that measure 1-1/4” wide. Matching the seams to make a perfect plus sign in the center, sew into 4 patch as shown in the picture. Trim if needed. These 4-patch will measure 2” square. Use care when pairing up the strata that are sewn into the 4-patch. Make sure all the 4-patch look alike, that colors are in the same position.

From the A B C D fabrics cut 2” strip and cut four 2” blocks from each color. Gently fold the points together and press without stretching the fabric. Spray starch will help you work with these blocks. Put a couple dabs of washable school glue along the fold of a triangle; put on the white square. Lay one triangle on a white 2” block. You will have 4 of each of these blocks that look like half square triangles. Let dry before continuing to sew the block together.

Take the 16 E 2” squares, the 16 E with the A B C D glue-tacked into place, and the 4 four-patch blocks. Lay out and sew your 9-patch as shown, Keep the colors i the same position in all four of the blocks. You will have 5” blocks. Gently press so they don’t distort.

Have a happy Saturday! Now I am off to post answers to the questions that I didn't have time to do before posting the clue. I haven't forgotten you, honest, just got busy this morning and wasn't watching the time.
Attached Thumbnails week-3a.jpg   week-3c-drop-glue.jpg   week-3b.jpg  

look on your selvage a solid only has one circle
Old 03-05-2016, 07:56 AM

Emma and others, I can't speak for Judy, obviously, but since she said E and F will touch, they need contrast. I'd say "enough" would be a few shades darker so that the design shows up. Otherwise you may be disappointed that you can't readily recognize points or edges or whatever.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:56 AM

Oh, Bluebonnets, Cheese Kolaches! Haven't had them in years. Who cares if I gain weight on this trip. I'll just lock my refrigerator door for a couple weeks when I get home. I love Kolaches.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Zuchinni noodles with a sesame sauce. OMG my mouth is watering and it's only morning.If I ate half of what ya all bring I would have to be used as the caboose on this train.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:01 AM

I went back and looked at everyone's selections and read Judy's comments, I came to the conclusion that what Judy wants to see is enough contrast so the two colors cannot be mixed up or so they don't blend. For instance she liked white or a very pale neutral for E and a tan for F. Obviously I can't speak for Judy but I think that is what is indicated.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:02 AM

sunlite - these play well together, will be lovely

sadeaz very pretty, just make sure that there is contrast with E and F

zozee - you will have plenty for F

redvette welcome!

quiltrsue woo hoo! very nice.

E does NOT have to be a solid. I chose white, but TOT, or pin dots, or mottles work just as well, as long as there is the magic word CONTRAST between E and F. And in the final clue on the 19th you will see why there needs to be contrast. So just hang on until then, and decide if you want to change your F.

Last edited by paintmejudy; 03-05-2016 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Oh I love how the star looks like interlocked triangles. Although they are tiny pieces....... Guess I'm working outside the box this time. Thanks Judy.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:14 AM

What is TOT?