Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 30 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: #12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Hello, all! So glad to be able to get this train ride on track for another mystery. Sorry for the delays, but it took longer for my broken arm to mend and get rehabbed that I thought. So, welcome aboard, all new and returning passengers. I think this quilt will appeal to all skill levels, from confident beginners to those experienced quilters. We are going to be making a table runner but if you have double the material, or quadruple, or more, you will be able to make a large quilt. The table runner I am doing will be about 16” x 52, which includes borders. This can also be made into a table topper, small wall hanging, or a baby quilt using the amount of fabric I will have you gather together. I was asked about making this a lap quilt – yes, make four times the number of blocks for about a 52” square.

This train ride will last another 3 weeks, ending on March 19. New clues will be posted here in the Blocks of the Week and Month section, under this same posting -- #12 Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- and will be posted by 8:00 a.m. Pacific standard time. Bookmark this page for ease of finding it each Saturday.

I know there are those of you out there who are nervous about scrappy. I am making a very controlled scrappy which I am sure will convert some of you to scrappy quilts. And the only reason I am calling this a scrappy at all is because it used small amounts of 13 different fabrics. DON’T PANIC!!! It will go together easily, I promise. And you WILL NOT have any trouble deciding on your colors.
    Let’s make this simple -- You will need the following: yard of EACH of the 13 fabrics, designed as A through M. A fat quarter will work if you don’t want to use WOF yardage. Plus border and binding to be determined when runner is finished.

I would be best to keep your selections in tiny prints, small prints, mottles, tone on tone and solids. Use a solid for E.

I have color in the A B C D, white for E, and neutrals for the rest.
    I do suggest all lights for the F-I fabrics. I chose 4 light fabrics ranging from light to medium-light.
    I kept in a family of colors for the J through M colors. For example, I have used browns, but you can use blue, green, black, etc. You don’t need to have the same family but have them go from medium to dark.
    For E fabric, make sure you have good contrast between the E and D.

For the border I used another fabric entirely, and it is a solid but you do whatever looks best when you assemble the runner. You will need 4 WOF of the width you need for your border. I cut my strips at 2-1/2” so needed 10” but you can make yours smaller or larger. For the binding, I made mine matching but you can use whatever you wish to use. I am not saying what I used, as I decided at the last minute on a color. This will take another 4 WOFs.

So, go rooting in your stash, take a trip to your favorite fabric store, or do a combination of both! As always, I will be on the thread a few times a day if you have any questions. Have a great week and see you next Saturday morning with the first of the cutting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 02-27-2016 at 07:36 AM. Reason: rest of colors didn't post in this posting, must have been too wordy!
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

fabrics didn't post in main posting.

I'm on board and so ready to follow along, here we go, hi everyone.

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    I need to go shopping in my FQ's, good way to use some of them.

Oh yay! Small size...I don't need any more large UFOs. Colors of fabrics I picked for another quilter's mystery that I didn't do will work perfectly. Ready to roll! (Well that was too easy. Off to my sewing room to sew on another almost finished top.)
    Thimble and Thread

Wow this is going to challenge me just picking all these fabrics. lol.Thanks Judy.
    Mary

Woo-hoo! Choo choo!

I want to make a baby quilt, rectangular. What do you suggest for prepping ? Math is not my friend.

I'm jumping on board with this one since it's a table runner and shouldn't take much time away from all the other UFOs I have. My commitment this year is to finish as many UFOs as I can! Thank you, Judy, for taking your time to make this so much fun for the rest of us.

How big do you want your baby quilt. zozee? If 52" square would work, use a yard of each fabric and make 4 times the number of blocks I tell you to. For example if I tell you to make 4 of something, make 16.

If you want the quilt a bit smaller and rectangular, use 3/4 yard of everything and make 12 if everything.

Later, you can figure border if you want them.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 02-27-2016 at 07:49 AM.

I like to make them for charity at about 48x 60.

Ok, my first question. I am going for the lap size, so that means 4x the fabric requirements. If I understand right, that is 1 yard of each of the 13 fabrics? 13 yards for a lap quilt sounds way too much to me. Is that right??
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Jeanne, Yes I was definitely totally wrong. I shouldn't have put it that way. For the table runner, some will use most of the 1/4 yard of fabric, others will use half that. I had told people pull 1/4 yard pieces or fat quarter to simplify matters. Sorry about the confusion. But I really didn't keep track of how much I used. I do apologize. Too early to think clearly, I guess.

Zozee I sent you a PM - and the same goes for what I told Jeanne. You will not need 3/4 yard of each.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 02-27-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    I am going to come along for the ride.
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

13 fabrics? Oh dear, this sounds like hours of decision making........can you imagine the mess I'm gonna make in my sewing room?

Blog Entries
    I'm on board also really liked last mystery glad your arm is healed. its a bummer to be sick with so much to sew and so little time to sew, I had pneumonia most of feb. feeling better now just in time.
    esther

Okay, since I have 3 charity WIPs already, and we are shopping for a new kitchen table, I'll make the runner. It will significantly reduce my margin for error anyway. In theory.

ooo Esther -- hope you are up to par now, I know it takes a while to feel better from pneumonia.

zozee, good choice!

In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.
    I'm with you, zozee -- a runner sounds good right now! I may actually finish it (but I said that last time, too).
    ​My soul is fed with needle & thread.

Blog Entries

Cool

ok, found all the colors and correct values in tiny prints....in my box of fat quarters....( I won 100 fat quarters ((2 of each)) in a drawing)...........so now the second guessing starts......because If I go to my leftovers, I know the entire project will be in lavenders and greens and creams.......so for once in my life should I use fabrics that I did not pick out myself....next clue is almost a week away, wonder how many times I will change out fabrics and what fabrics I will finally use....going to be a fun week! Now to catch some rays on one of the deck chairs on the flat car.....and then lunch, yummy.
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 02-27-2016 at 09:40 AM.

OK Judy, here we go . I want a runner to use on my dresser. Last year I painted my room a medium blue. My quilt is blues,browns and blacks. My valances are black. wood trim is cream. So here are my choices of fabrics. Do they look like they will work for the mystery?
    Mary

Perfect! Mary, I think this will be bee-you-tee-fullll! And if 52" isn't long enough, make an extra of everything I have you make. and it will be about 64" long

Wow, Sunlite, what a fabulous win of the fat 1/4s

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
    OK Judy, here we go . I want a runner to use on my dresser. Last year I painted my room a medium blue. My quilt is blues,browns and blacks. My valances are black. wood trim is cream. So here are my choices of fabrics. Do they look like they will work for the mystery?
    Lawson....awesome....great choices for the bedroom, what a great idea!!!

Thanks Judy and Anne. As usual the colors are prettier and a bit darker and brighter in person. Wow imagine winning all those FQ's.
    Mary

Mary, your runner is going to be fabulous! Can't wait to see it!
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 11 ... LastLast