Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: #15 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#15 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

I'm calling this Fast and Furious!

I’m doing something I’ve never done before – an express train ride. This will appeal to scrappy lovers, and easily adapted to those who usually want things more orderly. This is a perfect first-timer scrappy block.
    I know the holidays are still a ways away, but if I wait 2 or 3 weeks after finishing one mystery and starting another, the train maybe won’t get many riders as they will be too busy preparing for the holidays. And I want everyone to see this beautiful block. It is an old block, updated. I’m not giving the size, that’s part of the mystery!

This mystery will appeal to confident beginners and those experienced quilters. I will give the first set of instructions, which is some of the cutting, today. And then on Oct. 17, we will be cutting more and starting to assemble, and the finally cutting and assembly will be on Oct. 19. If you only want to make one block to see how it works, it might be a good way to try this scrappy block. Pastel, bright, batik, wilds, your choice – the world’s your oyster! Make one block to see this beautiful block and I am sure you will make more. There are not any borders or sashing included in the instructions. They are for you to decide when the time comes. Make it scrappy as I will be doing, or make it with only two fabrics, a dark and a light that go nicely together, that will contrast with the background.

I will be making a child’s quilt for charity, and have some of the blocks done and colors for more picked out. As you can see by the first picture, I am going with families of color. For example, those next to each other on the color wheel. For example, turquoise and blue; orange and red-orange; all greens; all purples. Or maybe purples and blues instead of the all blue. And then there is red and pink, and on and on and on ….. And you could consider complimentary colors, those opposite each other on the color wheel, for example, but I prefer the block made with nearby colors. I had pulled the black and yellow but am not going to use it—I found a light gray to replace the yellow. So many choices, so little time. If you don’t have 4 different patterns of a color family grouping, Use just one dark and one light of one color. Or 2 dark and 2 light would be better.

I’ve sampled my block pieces for you to see, using a blue (for the dark) and a green (for the light). You need contrast with the dark and light. You don’t need to use a dark, which mine really isn’t, but it’s a medium, I think. Just calling them dark and light to keep straight when I discuss your pieces.
    Remember, all cutting sizes will be for ONE block.

From the darks you will need a total of four rectangles at 2.5” x 4.5”, one from each dark. Also from the dark, cut four pieces at 2” x 4.5”, one from each dark piece.

From the lights you will need a total of four rectangles at 2.5” x 4.5, one from each light color. Also from the lights, cut four pieces at 2” x 3”, one from each light color.

On Monday and Wednesday you will need additional fabric, small amount for the background.

Intrigued? I hope so. Think of this as dessert, rather than a heavy meal! See you in a bit, can't wait to see some fabric posted, I'm sure I will be dazzled with all your choices.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by paintmejudy; 10-15-2016 at 06:39 AM.
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

Straightened up my quilting room "Just in time"!
    Fun thanks for your hard work Judy!

Blog Entries
    good scrappy

OK, here's my set.Name:  #15 mystery 001.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  66.2 KB Now I'm off to the cutting table...
    I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

A day without quilting is like a day without sunshine.

OOPS... do I need to add two more gold and two more reds?
    I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

Jan, you can do it with 2 each, just cut 2 of each size rather than 1. No problem.

Blog Entries
    colors in families will these work?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    it would be blue/green and yellow/pink?

This looks like fun!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy View Post
    it would be blue/green and yellow/pink?
    You will need 8 fabrics total. You are showing 16. From what I understand you need 4 dark of one color and 4 light of another color. How about using your 4 green as your darks and 4 yellows as your lights?

Name:  #15 mystery ff 001.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  95.8 KBOk, here I go again... I have lots of stash so added 2 more gold and 2 more red. What do you think?

Chose these for my trial block. Hope they work! Came across many fun combos fingering through the stash.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 922
Size:  769.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tlambing View Post
    Chose these for my trial block. Hope they work! Came across many fun combos fingering through the stash.
Views: 922
Size:  769.8 KB
    I just noticed something... you might need to cut another paisley rectangle in 4 1/2 x 2 that shows only the paisley fabric. The edge of it looks like your blue vine and since we don't know how this goes together they might touch. Did you see that? Why don't you ask Judy or if you have more just fussy cut one with paisley only? Just a thought. Very pretty fabrics. I have that blue/gray vine fabric and its one of my favs.

OK, Here are mine...

Name:  cut pieces.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  92.8 KB

Good catch Jan, I'll do that.

Blog Entries
    Oh how fun! I am going to use a set of Fq's I got as a gift, they are rainbow colors... Will go cut and take a picture, will be back later today to see all the pretties... So many awesome colors already makes me want to shop in your Stashes!

Mary~
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Blog Entries
    love your colors tlambing

Jan- like your additions to the red and yellow

Blog Entries
    mine was for two different blocks. green/blue and yellow/pink

Like your colors krazy! Can't wait to see them together.

Quote Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy View Post
    mine was for two different blocks. green/blue and yellow/pink
    Yes, but I was commenting on the pinks.

Jan, your colors are so dramatic, love it.

Inquiring minds want to know .... I was asked if we will be cutting more pieces from the fabrics cut today. No, you are done cutting the blocks I asked you to cut. Monday will be different.

Blog Entries
    sorry Judy, but I can't find where you were commenting on the pinks

Blog Entries
    I have a question for anyone who might be better at math than I am (which could be all of you!) I was looking for a project and found mystery 11 and while making my HST's I miss measured and cut them at 3 1/2 rather than 4 1/2 so I am going to run with it.
    My problem is the center square, I cut the solid square at 3 1/2 but can't seem to get the corner squares correct they are either too small or too big! I tried 2 in rather than 2.5 and it is close but corners cut off. 1.5 is really too small. Any suggestions?

Thanks Mary
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Views: 765
Size:  72.5 KBHere are my fabrics. I am just finishing up a wall hanging with browns rusts and gold, I still had these laying on my cutting table.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast