Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#15 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#15 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#15 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 10-15-2016, 06:37 AM

Default #15 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

I'm calling this Fast and Furious!

I’m doing something I’ve never done before – an express train ride. This will appeal to scrappy lovers, and easily adapted to those who usually want things more orderly. This is a perfect first-timer scrappy block.
I know the holidays are still a ways away, but if I wait 2 or 3 weeks after finishing one mystery and starting another, the train maybe won’t get many riders as they will be too busy preparing for the holidays. And I want everyone to see this beautiful block. It is an old block, updated. I’m not giving the size, that’s part of the mystery!

This mystery will appeal to confident beginners and those experienced quilters. I will give the first set of instructions, which is some of the cutting, today. And then on Oct. 17, we will be cutting more and starting to assemble, and the finally cutting and assembly will be on Oct. 19. If you only want to make one block to see how it works, it might be a good way to try this scrappy block. Pastel, bright, batik, wilds, your choice – the world’s your oyster! Make one block to see this beautiful block and I am sure you will make more. There are not any borders or sashing included in the instructions. They are for you to decide when the time comes. Make it scrappy as I will be doing, or make it with only two fabrics, a dark and a light that go nicely together, that will contrast with the background.

I will be making a child’s quilt for charity, and have some of the blocks done and colors for more picked out. As you can see by the first picture, I am going with families of color. For example, those next to each other on the color wheel. For example, turquoise and blue; orange and red-orange; all greens; all purples. Or maybe purples and blues instead of the all blue. And then there is red and pink, and on and on and on ….. And you could consider complimentary colors, those opposite each other on the color wheel, for example, but I prefer the block made with nearby colors. I had pulled the black and yellow but am not going to use it—I found a light gray to replace the yellow. So many choices, so little time. If you don’t have 4 different patterns of a color family grouping, Use just one dark and one light of one color. Or 2 dark and 2 light would be better.

I’ve sampled my block pieces for you to see, using a blue (for the dark) and a green (for the light). You need contrast with the dark and light. You don’t need to use a dark, which mine really isn’t, but it’s a medium, I think. Just calling them dark and light to keep straight when I discuss your pieces.
Remember, all cutting sizes will be for ONE block.

From the darks you will need a total of four rectangles at 2.5” x 4.5”, one from each dark. Also from the dark, cut four pieces at 2” x 4.5”, one from each dark piece.

From the lights you will need a total of four rectangles at 2.5” x 4.5, one from each light color. Also from the lights, cut four pieces at 2” x 3”, one from each light color.

On Monday and Wednesday you will need additional fabric, small amount for the background.

Intrigued? I hope so. Think of this as dessert, rather than a heavy meal! See you in a bit, can't wait to see some fabric posted, I'm sure I will be dazzled with all your choices.
Attached Thumbnails day-1-.jpg   day-1-b.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 10-15-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:49 AM

Straightened up my quilting room "Just in time"!
Fun thanks for your hard work Judy!
Old 10-15-2016, 06:52 AM

good scrappy
Old 10-15-2016, 07:12 AM

OK, here's my set.[ATTACH=CONFIG]560301[/ATTACH] Now I'm off to the cutting table...
Attached Thumbnails 15-mystery-001.jpg  
Old 10-15-2016, 07:19 AM

OOPS... do I need to add two more gold and two more reds?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:29 AM

Jan, you can do it with 2 each, just cut 2 of each size rather than 1. No problem.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:29 AM

colors in families will these work?
Attached Thumbnails blue.jpeg   green.jpeg   pink.jpeg   yellow.jpeg  
Old 10-15-2016, 07:42 AM

it would be blue/green and yellow/pink?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:43 AM

This looks like fun!
Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy View Post
it would be blue/green and yellow/pink?
You will need 8 fabrics total. You are showing 16. From what I understand you need 4 dark of one color and 4 light of another color. How about using your 4 green as your darks and 4 yellows as your lights?