Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017

17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017

Good morning! Is everyone glad to have summer almost over? It’s been a long, hot one in Phoenix and this heat will still be around this month and next. Ugh!

Are you ready for another mystery? Hope so, because I a’raring to go! Let’s get this train ride under way! Settle into the club car for a no-calorie snack and beverage while we say hello. As always, these mysteries are a non-fattening train ride but we do seem to eat a lot, don’t we?

A warm welcome to all returning passengers and to all new mystery train riders. Confident beginners and experienced quilters will enjoy this trip. Clues are posted Saturday morning by 8:30 MST – Arizona does not observe daylight savings time. Arizona time will be the same as PDST. You will begin working next week and the last clue will be given October 7th. At that point you will have all the directions needed to complete your runner, and I will show you my completed project.

We will make a table runner that will finish at approx. 21” x 53” with the sashing and border. Make 3 times the number of blocks and you will have a wall hanging or a table topper. I am using spring fabrics, because it is what I had in my stash. . I’m sure many of you will using fall, Halloween, or Christmas. A few days ago, I came across an adorable simple-to-make tree border if you are doing Christmas. (Will show you on the final day.) Can’t wait to see your fabric choices.

Choose fabrics that have small or medium scale prints that do not have a lot of blank background. Batiks would be terrific. Small prints with lots of empty background will not work well with this pattern for the A and B. My background C is a small print, tightly packed without a lot of white space. The D fabric was given to me as a hostess gift and I have been waiting for the perfect project to use it in, and think this is where it belongs! D is the only place where a larger scale print will work but still needs to be a print that does not have a lot of empty background. Keep in mind, be bold with D, it has a lot to say. In the picture, the background on C looks cream, but it is white.

NOTE: At this point, don’t stress over the sashing or border. I changed my mind on what to use three times as I was working on my sample. When you get to the place where you need the sashing, you will know exactly what your project is calling for, if you want colors from the runner or something different. And I am not going to show you my sash or border because I don’t want to influence your thinking on what to choose for the ABCD fabrics.

For this runner, the lengths of fabric shown will be WOF. I have allowed a few inches of each in case you need to recut anything. You will need:
    A – 28”
    B – 16”
    C – background – yard
    D – a fat quarter will be more than enough for this. And even tho’ it be a wee piece it will make a dramatic impact!
    E - sashing – 1/3 yard
    F – border – yard
    G – binding yard
    And you will need additional fabric for the backing.

So, I will check in, as usual, a few times a day to see how you are doing and to answer any questions you may have; of course feel free to send a PM if you wish. But my work is done for the moment; I’ll be in the club car. I smell breakfast burritos and cheese quiche.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by paintmejudy; 09-09-2017 at 06:53 AM.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Oh my I love that heart D fabric. I'm not into orange but the combo you have I really like too. Your just so good at this Judy. I've missed the train ride. Glad a new one is starting. Thanks Judy.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Yay Judy!

You know my inevitable question--by what should I multiply the number of blocks for a big quilt? Do I need to stick with multiples of three?

Thanks so much for doing this!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Mary -- I loved this D fabric, too. Was given a FQ but haven't ever seen it, would have like to go buy a couple yards. It is a perfect focus fabric, isn't it? Colors on the pix are not true, they are rose and pinks, not orange. I'm even less of an orange person than a pink person, but this is what I had. And I made it to donate to my guild's small quilt auction, we raise money to buy the batting for our charity quilts.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 09-09-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
    Yay Judy!

You know my inevitable question--by what should I multiply the number of blocks for a big quilt? Do I need to stick with multiples of three?

Thanks so much for doing this!
    I knew you would ask me this! Should have figured out an answer beforehand. Send me a PM - let me know how big you want to go.

This will be fun! While we are hunkering down for a storm--maybe you've heard!--I think I have time to look at my fabrics.

I'm going to jump on the train!! I love table runners. This will be my first ride. Thank you Judy, this will be fun.
    We need to make the positives so LOUD that the negatives are impossible to hear.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Thank you Judy a table runner this time a year is perfect! Now to go look and decide batiks sound good but so does a holiday table runner
    ​Christine

Chasezzz, naturally I am concerned about this one, too. Having friends in central Florida (hmmm, now who else cold that be? LOL) I've been watching this storm as closely as I did the last one, as my daughter lives in a Houston suburb.

D.Hensen so glad you are joining us. We all have a good time, and I think there have been no complaints on the design. At least I hope not!

frustrated, welcome back. Yup, I thought a table runner would be a perfect little gift for the upcoming festivities!

Angelia I sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Chasezzz View Post
    This will be fun! While we are hunkering down for a storm--maybe you've heard!--I think I have time to look at my fabrics.
    Yep. I'm here hunkering down, too! Just getting rain now, but it sure is depressing between the overcast skies and the TV warnings! I think finding some pretty fabrics for this might be just the pick-me-up I need right now! Also its good to see my old friends back on the train!
    (The average freezer can hold approximately 326 fat quarters - The Guilty Quilter)

I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

A day without quilting is like a day without sunshine.

Blog Entries
    Chasezzz, Our fingers are definitely double crossed for you. I've got friends north of Tampa and in Orlando so we're all watching and waiting.

I'm going for batiks, I think. I haven't looked yet but that's how I'm leaning.

Ok so this is what I have picked may do another depending on how things go.

So going fall or harvest time them. If you see anything that will not work let me know. A & B can be swapped as well as C & D. But will wait on those like Judy said she changed her mind once she got to that step.
    Name:  20170909_102130.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  1.24 MB
    ​Christine

Here are four possible choices... What say ye, Judy?
    A= Purple, B=Red, C= Yellow, D= Multi (Purple is lighter than it shows in this scan.)
    Name:  Mystery train 001.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  101.4 KB
    Last edited by Just Jan; 09-09-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    (The average freezer can hold approximately 326 fat quarters - The Guilty Quilter)

I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

Oh these colors are so pretty. so far. I love looking at fabrics and this is a good place to see some pretty ones. Jan that swirl one is really good. Christine I love your D and the others to go with it.
    Mary

Wow Jan, your fabrics are incredible. I haven't decided if I will join or not - I have so much trouble deciding on colors/prints and everything seems pretty bland now as I see your combo. Love, Love your fabrics!!

FQ40... love your choices. Mary, That swirly one is one of my stash favorites. Had a small piece and saw another piece on Ebay, so grabbed it up! I figured this would be a good place to use it sparingly, if Judy thinks its right for this project. As I said, I need cheering up from all this hurricane unrest and anticipation; so what could be more cheerful than that wild combo! The finished runner probably won't match a thing, but will be fun to fondle the bright fabrics.
    Carol, don't let my bright fabrics influence your choices. I'm just tired of working with muted stuff right now. Just finished making four or five tops using Civil War prints and need a change. Hope you will join us. Its going to be a fun ride.
    Last edited by Just Jan; 09-09-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Whitepine - batiks will be sooo pretty.

frustrated - I like your fabrics, but wondering if perhaps you'd like to have the background C a bit more unbusy? I know my C is busy, but my A and B are not. Maybe you could use the F for the background?

Just Jan - these will be gorgeous together!!!

I love to see all the fabrics that will be used, and so does everyone else.

Okay...here's what I found (A thru D left to right)
    Name:  train.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  64.2 KB

Thank-you for another fun train ride Judy. I always look forward to such fun riding your train. I'm leaving peach cobber and vanilla ice cream in the club car.

Today my husband and I P/U a new kitten. We think it is a girl. We are told it's 6 weeks old. I question her age, she is very friendly. Hasn't been out of my arms since we brought her home, other than to eat. She is mostly black with two small white patches on her under side. I'm taking her to the vet next week to get shots and checkup.

I decided to do the table runner this time. I want to follow along and complete it on time. I'm unsure what fabric choices. Batiks, Fall, Christmas, winter colors, (blues, grays & purple)? I have pulled out several fabric choices, but unsure which color combination to choose. Only 1 week to decide. I will post my choice once I decide.

Now back to cleaning out my sewing room, so I'm ready for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    happylab[/B];7903253]Thank-you for another fun train ride Judy. I always look forward to such fun riding your train. I'm leaving peach cobber and vanilla ice cream in the club car.

Today my husband and I P/U a new kitten. We think it is a girl. We are told it's 6 weeks old. I question her age, she is very friendly. Hasn't been out of my arms since we brought her home, other than to eat. She is mostly black with two small white patches on her under side. I'm taking her to the vet next week to get shots and checkup.
    I was just wishing for something "good" to eat! Thanks. But if you want to tease me about a new kitten, then you need to post a picture! I want to see!!!! Please?.... Have you chosen her name yet? Congrats on your new family addition.

Karen Pretty fabrics. I especially like your fabric A.

Would like a isle seat on this train, since this is my first time on this train. Looking forward to the ride. Going to hunker down, and lets hope Irma will soon be over.

Judy I will see what I have for a background I have some white on white or should I find something with a small print? If not I could use "F" it is a yellowish/tan. Thanks for the suggestions will do some more digging.

Just Jan love your fabric choices !

Chaseszzz ooh these are so pretty! Now you make me want to go digging for another combo for a 2nd table runner....

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Whitepine - batiks will be sooo pretty.

frustrated - I like your fabrics, but wondering if perhaps you'd like to have the background C a bit more unbusy? I know my C is busy, but my A and B are not. Maybe you could use the F for the background?

Just Jan - these will be gorgeous together!!!

I love to see all the fabrics that will be used, and so does everyone else.
    ​Christine

Quote Originally Posted by cuppy View Post
    Would like a isle seat on this train, since this is my first time on this train. Looking forward to the ride. Going to hunker down, and lets hope Irma will soon be over.
    Welcome aboard! Are you in Orlando now or where? I'm 25 miles north of Orlando. Sounds like at least four of us here are hunkered down. Jan

Took another pix of my fabrics. The first one was my scanner and the purple was way off. This is from my camera and much more accurate.
    Name:  Mystery train two.JPG
Views: 1128
Size:  87.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedquilter40 View Post
    Judy I will see what I have for a background I have some white on white or should I find something with a small print? If not I could use "F" it is a yellowish/tan. Thanks for the suggestions will do some more digging.
    You didn't ask me; but I love that tan fabric for your background. I was thinking that when I first saw it. It brings out the tan-ish straw in the pumpkin fabric. But of course I have no idea if it needs to be a small print or not, just love that color with your other fabrics. Makes the pumpkin fabric pop.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast