Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion >

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Old 03-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

mim, it seems a number of us are making BooBoo Janes. they could go toward that - in the end, if you have 5.5" ones, you can sash the 4.5s larger. or how about trim for pillow cases
glad you had a good trip
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by mim View Post
BTW -- any ideas for what to do with the dozen or so blocks that I made 4 1/2 inch before I switched to 5 1/2 inch??
Mim
Mim - I personally would still want to use them in this quilt - a dozen is too much to remake and too few to make into something else I think I would piece some borders around the edge. There are plenty of blocks that have a 1/2" round of piecing. I'm going to assume you did them somewhat in the order we made them...

looking at our blocks I would add 1/2" to A1, A3, A5, A6, A8, B1-3, B12-13
you can usesame color, or a contrasting color - or - the same color in the block already but not on the outside.
[C3 you could piece around it opposite colors as what the outer strips are]

for the following blocks I would consider changing out the outer strip [B4, B10, C1.... example: remove the 1/2" strip you already have in B4 and replace it with a strip that is 1/2" larger on each side so you have a 5 1/2" block finished]
Just some thoughts
Gus
Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 AM

I have 17 5" x 5" DJ blocks plus one triangle (Love Forever) plus one little pieced star - all made of Kaffe Fassett fabric - that I would like to give away as a pay it forward. The blocks are ones I made and then changed my mind on colors or made a block in the wrong color. PM me if you can use these blocks.
Char
Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Chay,
Am I missing something??? I remember those beautiful bright blocks I think?? What color scheme did you switch to.. I browsed through your posts and couldn't find anything - are you sharing
Old 03-14-2012, 08:45 AM

Cre8tvlwyr, I am doing around the world and I made some blocks the wrong color. Duh. Then I made some blocks that I just didn't like in terms of color placement. I'm still doing Kona white and Kaffe Fassett. I had a lot of blocks made before this thread started but I'm following it and I love looking at everyone else's work. I have about 50 block to go until my DJ is finished but I'm trying to use a different fabric for each one and I'm out of fabric at the moment so I'm taking a break. We only have a couple of fabric stores where I live and the stock of Kaffe is very, very small. I love the way my quilt is turning out but I made a mistake in limiting myself so much to Kaffe, no fabric repeats and around the world. Every trip out of town involves scouring fabric stores, my poor long suffering husband has been to every fabric store in the Northwest.

Anyway, I'm happy for these blocks to find a new home in case someone needs them or know someone who would want to use them in a quilt, pillow, etc.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM

Chay, have you thought of internet fabric stores. www.Connectingthreads.com and wwwfabric.com have very nice fabric and reasonable too.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 AM

Sorry Chay. It is www.fabric.com
Old 03-14-2012, 04:32 PM

I haven't had time to complete anymore blocks on my DJ but I finally found an Omnigrid 6" x 6" for my 5 1/2" blocks. I finally located it on Amazon.com and it was only $4.97. I had looked in my local QS and several out of town places but the grids were all 6 1/2". I'm making mine a trip around the world but I am not using just 1 line of fabric. I have so many pieces of fabric; I'm trying to use as much of my stash as possible. I aim to do each block in a different fabric but if I have to make 2 or 3 blocks out of the same fabric, I'll just scatter them throughout my quilt. I finished piecing my DGGD's quilt and I have all the strips cut out, pieced and pressed for my DGD's wedding quilt. I start cutting the 259 squares tomorrow. My goal is to have it pieced by the end of this month. That will be a push because we are going camping for 5 days next week. We took our boat out today and if anyone had a video camera I'm sure we would be on America's funniest home videos. Our boat has been in the shop twice this month to have the motor repaired. We got about 300 yards from shore and the motor died. We had to use the oars to get back into the dock and both my husband and I fell into the water. I laughed so hard because this was suppose to be our fun day. A reward for all of the hard work we have been doing around the house.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

oh, Losie, that must have been such a sight!

hey, i just noticed... this is my 16,000th post . i should spend more time at the sewing machine
Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Chay, have you tried ebay for kaffe charm squares? I've purchased civil war squares several times and have been very pleased (make sure it's someone with a high score). Usually there are repeats in each pack, so you'd have enough fabric for a block.