Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 93 of 112 FirstFirst ... 43 83 92 93 94 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2778

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Nope - you are always a pleasure, Cindy!!
    And by all means leave those corners alone - looks great I noticed yesterday..... ahem, that I used the wrong fabric on LS1... leaving it alone tooName:  DJ LSd.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  99.2 KB!

I'm trying to put my blocks into the design wall.... let's see if I can actually post it???
    nope..

Smile

Hi girls,

As promised here are the lastest photos my DH has sorted out today.
    They are, BR3, LS4, LS7, M7, RS3, RS5, RS6, and TRC.

I can't believe I have now completed ALL of the blocks, tri's and kites
    and my design wall has also been updated (link below).
    Thanks so VERY much for all your kind replies to my last message and
    I am not going anywhere - I want to see all the progress your all making!

Good luck sorting out your wall Gus.

A friend has asked me to make a baby quilt for her new Grandchild due in July,
    so I am going to do that and then start the sashing.
    I hope to hand quilt it - but I will get it basted by a longarm quilter
    - who lives nearby. I haven't got a surface which will be big enough !!
    After all the time I have spent getting here - I started my DJ in 2007 --
    I think hand quilting will be easier to unpick - than machine stitching LOL !!

I am now going to bed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dotty- I'm in AWE!!! your blocks are beautiful
    You do have to explain how you have a longarm quilter baste???? don't understand I think this one is actually more difficult than the FMQ ...LOL!!

I have been able to transfer my block pictures to the DJ chart included in the software thanks to EQ tech support. I will put their instructions up shortly. But I was unable to post it by going into the chart directly in 'my documents' I was able to save the chart in Word [dont have all the pics put in yet] and will see whether that file can be seen here..

that didnt work either

just popped back in and clicked on your link Dotty - it looks great!! But now - how were you able to make it so we could all see it??
    Gus
    Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 05-02-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Dotty, I just looked at your design wall and it's absolutely fabulous! Have you decided yet whether you're going to use one fabric for the solid triangles? I used just background fabric for my CW Dear Jane, but I think I'll use a variety of fabrics for the pastel one.

I think the first two pics are catching up (from previous weeks) and the last picture is this week.
    F-3 Snowball
    Name:  F-3 Snowball.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  105.9 KB

F-2 Kaleidoscope
    Name:  F-2 Kaleidoscope.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  116.8 KB

K-5 Passing Through
    Name:  K-5 Passing Through.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  114.6 KB

I hope I have time to start working on some of the triangles I'm behind on.

Thank you very much for your kind comments Gus and Katybob.
    Gus -I will take my backing fabric, batting and completed top to a lady with a long arm quilting machine and get her to baste the 3 layers together and then go form there - either machine or hand quilting.That is still a way to go yet though !
    Katybob - I think I will use the same fabric as in the previous triangle - so it will complement it. I will see what it looks like before I commit. !

Very quiet here again !!!

Great blocks as always, Cindy. You must not be too far behind schedule.
    Dotty, I like your idea about the triangles. I'm going to go preview some right now.
    The weather's so pretty here I go outside and dig in the dirt as much as I can, but I'm also stuck in our legislative chamber four days a week (where it stays freezing cold!), so I haven't been sewing much lately.

Dotty - a few years ago I started to 'spray baste' my quilt sandwiches together [I used '505' adhesive.] Man is that ever easy!! I usually get to the quilting soon after I do the spray basting, but I have had instructors who have left their prepared sandwiches for years before getting to the actual quilting [one said 5-7yrs!!] and it still held together. No more pins to put in..or take out! I have not hand-quilted anything that was spray basted and although the claim is it doesn't gunk up your machine, I do wipe the needle periodically when I quilt something that has been spray basted. I also spray VERY LIGHTLY, using more of a 'mist.'

When I took the hand-quilting class Andi's first step was to take some long basting stitches. I never asked her about spraying though. I imagine if you should only thread-baste your long arm quilter would be the way to go!! the alternative would be to quilt in sections

...and you are right....very quiet!! I think only you, Cindy, Katybob, and Gladys on a regular basis..... please chime in if I have forgotten the obvious out there
    Gus

I decided to look back.... 100 posts - just us and bebe early April...
    and to think we started with around 130!

hi ladies, i have been coming in to read what you're up to and admire the lovely blocks...

i wasn't able to 'keep up' with the schedule as i'd liked to have done, but i have been getting a few applique blocks finished 'here and there' while at work...
    here are my few... i WILL get more machine blocks completed at some point!!!

here are my colourful blocks 'sew' far...

keep up the great work ladies!!
    xxx jacquie xxx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jacquie xxxxx

Quilters aren't greedy, they're just materialistic.

"Don't be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi all,
    I too have been dropping in and looking at all of the pretty pictures. Been too busy making my mother's quilt to actually sew on these.

Guess you could say I've been reading along, just not sewing along. . .

Katybob, I think I'm about halfway finished with the blocks (not sure how many have been completed according to the schedule at this point). I need to catch up on a bunch of triangles. I'd like to do some of those this weekend if I can get to it. This past weekend we spent quit a bit of time out in the yard. We had gorgeous weather and took advantage of it!! We usually don't get much of a spring, we go from winter striaght into hot and humid summers.

Dotty and Katybob, please post pics as you audition and make your decicions. I'd love to see what works as well as what won't work.

Monica, a friend and I tried the spray baste when it first came out. To say the least, we were a little overzealous. Kind of like hair spray on a windy day and making sure not one little hair is going to move out of place. Needless to say, I scared myself off. Maybe I should give it another try and go with a mist!

Here is K-6 Ann's Folly
    Name:  K-6 Ann's Folly.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  154.9 KB

Hi Jacquie and Jeanine, nice to know you're 'dropping by' even if you haven't kept up with the blocks. I wonder if enough ladies are out there that would like join in again if another thread started when we're done here. Seems like I've seen several people that didn't quite make it through the first time that are able to finish up with a second go-round. I've had this crazy idea running around in the back of my mind to do another DJ!! But there are so many other quilts I want to work on, too.

Have a great day, everyone.

I know, Cindy. Every time I see another DJ I think, "Oh, I'd love to make one in those colors!" Those little blocks are really addictive.

I too contemplate another.... but you're right Cindy - there are so very many others, some with similar looks as well, like Farmer's wife, Dear Hannah [this one has a bit more applique], Just Plain Nuts and Nearly Insane [exactly what they are!! but maybe... I really would like to try and maybe combine the two], Sylvia's Bridal Sampler is awesome as well.
    And - as my memory continues to play tricks - gettn better though [doc said all I needed was sleep, had been waking up 10-15 times nightly over a 7hr period]
    didnt someone here mention wanting to tackle a specific other quilt?? and I said I would start it after Jane was done....which one was it? Dotty? who was it?? what? ...little brown bird??

I've completed blocks F1 and G6 finally - and another kite, TLC. I had completed most of this week's blocks earlier - only have K6 left to make - your's looks great Cindy I have misplaced the adapter to transfer my pics again... will find and post soon.

Jacquie and Janine- great to see you again. Your blocks are beautiful Jacquie!! Just keep it up - maybe set a 1 per week goal for yourself. Do one, put it away with the rest and dont even think about it til the next week. If you have a lot going on that sometimes works better. Life wont impact on Jane - or vise versa -[as I am letting it....ugh - in fact I really really gotta clean!]

Monica

ok - found it on post #2013-2015 ....katybob, Dotty and I will start on Sylvia's Bridal Sampler when Jane is done.
    I just had to find out which quilt it was!

I'd better finish AOTH too! my avatar keeps staring at me

Hi Gus - yes it was katybob & I- and I would like to do SBS ! Actually - I have made a start and made 5 blocks !!!!
    I haven't started looking at the DJ sashing yet - I belong to a small quilt group - and our " leader " has a BIG birthday coming up - and we are all making a 12" block in creams - pinks and greens and then making her a quilt. It will be a really nice surprise. Also a baby quilt for a friends grandchild due in July ! Busy - busy !

I can't possibly take on any other projects til after our guild's September show ....at which point I do hope Jane is finished!! I put a bug in the ear of my friend, quilt show chair last night suggesting we have a few UFOs on display!

here are the pics of F1, G6 and TLC
    Name:  dja1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  102.7 KBName:  djg6.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  81.4 KBName:  djtlc.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  95.5 KB
    you may notice I tweaked the G6 star a bit because Jane's was also a little wonky - definitely not a straight star. The corner "diamonds" on F1 were also not symmetrical diamonds so I made the outer 'diamond points' longer than those pointing inward.
    three more down!!! but a little ways to go - I now have 30 squares, 2 kites, and 24 triangles left.

Gus

K-8 Springbrook Park
    Name:  K-8 Springbrook Park.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  124.9 KB

Hello ladies!! I just wanted to say that all of you are so talented and you have inspired me to give this a try. I am a new quilter and this would be strictly my quilt. Something I could take my time with and then enjoy the fruits of my labor lol. Anyway - being new I need to learn applique. Can someone recommend a good site or youtube to teach me? Thanks so much for your help and all of your wonderful inspiration! I will be watching and drooling as you all continue on your journey.
    Like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - yeah we all shine on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeegirl View Post
    Hello ladies!! I just wanted to say that all of you are so talented and you have inspired me to give this a try. I am a new quilter and this would be strictly my quilt. Something I could take my time with and then enjoy the fruits of my labor lol. Anyway - being new I need to learn applique. Can someone recommend a good site or youtube to teach me? Thanks so much for your help and all of your wonderful inspiration! I will be watching and drooling as you all continue on your journey.
    I hope it's ok I'm giving you advice. I'm so far behind with my DJ.... BUT even though there are A LOT of posts on this thread, if I were you, I'd go through each post and document in my DJ book every tutorial Cre8tvlwyr made (and others). She's an amazing hostess and a gifted teacher. I think.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

You are very sweet Sheri!! you made my day!!!
    Yankeegirl - wow you really are new - I see you joined this past February. I have to check with Nancy or PatriceJ [two of the moderators in charge] about possibly putting a link near the beginning of the site or message to see a particular post. To make it easier for you - and others who have popped in from time to time - I have been making a list of post numbers that have tutorials or refer to other places placed by myself or some of the other very helpful ladies on this site. Some refer to individual blocks, others are general applications. I know I posted a needleturn youtube video recently about points [within the last couple of weeks] ...now that I said what I did, I realize I didnt put that post # down! I will PM you my personal email as well so that you can contact me directly.

Actually in a rush right now [dont even know if this all makes sense...because my family is talking!!!!]

Welcome aboard!
    Gus [this is what I've been going with since my eldest DGS dubbed me with this name when he was 1 almost 6 years ago]...also answer to Monica

Thought I'd get this picture up... a short break from reality!
    At my minigroup meeting this week one of my friends also working on Jane told me that some of the sketches of the 'real blocks' [closer to the original] are included in Brenda's software as 'variations' So be sure to check that out. [I should've looked more closely a year+ ago!! Yankeegirl, over the course of our journey, we have found that the drawings in the book are sometimes different from the original Jane and we have come up with ways to make them look more like the original. If you have the software ...ahem.... some of the original patterns are actual hiding in the variations. [an advantage to you for hooking up with us late!]

Im posting a picture of H-9 in progress [and what I had on schedule for January 13 ]
    I noticed those top white background sections in the book drawing are not in the original. I cut two of each background/print 3 1/4" squares to make 4 half-square triangles [HST] and made a pinwheel for the base of the square. Then I used the G-11 diamond pattern as template for the diamonds [because the real ones are sightly larger than the sketch in the book for H-9]. I will also add white background corners cut 2 1/2" squares in half diagonally.
    Name:  DJ H9.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  84.5 KBIf you havent made this block yet and have the software, the pattern is variation 1 .... of course I noticed this after making the adjustments myself
    Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeegirl View Post
    Hi and welcome Yankeegirl. In addition to the great things that Monica and others have posted here on this site you may want to check out: http://www.pieceocake.com/index.html Go to 'lessons' and you will see links for individual tutorials. Maybe start with the 'invisible applique stitch.' This site, Piece o' Cake, is the company created by two quilting friends, Linda Jenkins and Becky Goldsmith. I haven't actually watched the videos on their links, but I've seen their DVD as well as many times on t.v. I love their work and I'm sure the videos are good. I should probably go look at the video right now. You'll all undertand after you see the tri I'm about to post (applique hearts, RS-7)!

Thank you all for your warm welcome! I will be sure and look at everything you suggested - I am ordering the book & DVD this weekend (my Mothers Day gift fr hubby lol) and will sit down and look it all over very carefully before I begin. I'm not afraid to try new things so I am excited for the challenge ahead. I'm sure I will be pm'ing with lots of questions. In the mean time I will practice applique (I can do this, I can do this) - thank you again for your support and all of your beautiful work that inspires me to try. XO!!
    Like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - yeah we all shine on.

Page 93 of 112 FirstFirst ... 43 83 92 93 94 103 ... LastLast