Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

I just ordered the Foundation FActory CD so now I can make smaller size blocks. I got a $10.00 discount at check out!!! So for the CD and a computer download it came to under $14.00 with shipping.
    Last edited by nygal; 11-30-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

ladydukes--I don't actually own either quilt-pro or EQ, but I have a stand alone program each (QP: Carol Doaks stars; EQ: Dear Jane). I definitely like the options available in EQ more....I am sure the full program of QP has more options than just the Foundation Factory...hopefully someone else can give you a better idea.

Jan--Yes, we are doing the blocks in the order of the book (alphabetically).

I am one whose planning to make 2 small quilts using coordinating fabrics...one for DH and one for me. His will have blue background and mine purple.

sweet--the book gives yardage info for the 12" blocks...not sure one the smaller size blocks. I will check and let you know what I find out....the book is in the "clubhouse" (my sewing shed). I am heading out shortly.

I got an email and quilt-pro has extended their sale through today...which I see some of you were able to take advantage of. Yay!

Yes, it's great that it is still on sale. What great timing. Thanks for the info, now hope the book come in before the fabric sales go out.

Here's the link to the Carol Doak Yahoo group. You have to sign up and wait for the moderator to accept your request.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CarolDoakQuiltingGroup
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Jan, with 50 blocks and if you're making 2 quilts, you can have 2 square ones unless you don't like that. If you skipp two blocks you can make one quilt 6 x 8 blocks. I'm not as anal as you are but I hate odd numbers/sizes too!

JanRN, extra two blocks could go on the back side of the quilt or skip two that you did not like...or put them on the pillow sham...to highlight the states where you were born.

It would be nice if we had the other US territories as quilt blocks - them maybe we could come out with the right amount of rows across and down...a thought?
    I am all in...I jumped on the sale and purchased Foundation Factory AND Quilt Pro...but I forgot to buy the book...has anyone seen it on sale??

Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    Here's the link to the Carol Doak Yahoo group. You have to sign up and wait for the moderator to accept your request.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CarolDoakQuiltingGroup
    Thank you...my membership is "pending".
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

You're welcome

yippee ! i bought the CD and the book today. and i am going to dig in to my scraps to get it done.

The book has some great block combination samples in it, you could make those if you want more than 50 for your quilt(s) but not any duplicate blocks.

Here are the fabrics I am using. I was going to do a kaleidoscope quilt with the butterflies, but figure I will get a similar effect in the stars...so there will be a little of that fabric in every block.

Pic #1 butterflies
    Pic #2 are background fabrics
    Pic #3 are all the fabrics I will be using

Most of the print fabrics are from the line "Shimmer"; the background fabrics are "Suedes"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carrie, those fabrics are "to die for"!!! Absolutely stunning. I think mine will be in a red/white/blue theme.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Carrie, wow what a beautiful combination of fabrics!!!!!

Need to see if I can find the book I ordered last time but did not start. Thanks for doing this carriem!
    Linda

Carrie, love your fabric and colors. Its going to be a lovely quilt.

I have blues, reds, and lime greens to date...will see what happens as far as the fabric I end up using. One day at a time.

Oh! I have the book and I love paper piecing. I shall join in also!

Carriem I love your fabric, oh wait I have some in my stash just checked and I have exactly what you have there. Just goes to show we have excellent taste I purchased mine to make DD a quilt as she loves butterflies, just never got around to it (yet)

My colour scheme will be red black and white with maybe a touch of gold here and there
    Karen

Wow Carrie, such gorgeous fabrics and beautiful colours!!

Mine will have a starry background (silver and gold) on dark blue and the starts themselves will be in the colour I like at that day
    Like these:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh well I have no idea what went wrong there, I'm sorry!

Beautiful blocks anael.
    love to join in too.
    i bought the download. Woohoo.
    now trying to get into carol's yahoo group.
    now to check to see if i have the book.i thought i bought it.

this sounds like so much fun

sewmany, thanks
    I think you don't need the book when you have the download and when you're a member of the Yahoo group you can download all the PDF files.

I been trying to join the Yahoo group. When it ask toenter the code and then click the request, it doesn't do anything. I wonder if I am doing something wrong.? !! ? totally confused. I contacted Carol Doak in her website. but pretty much just giving up trying to join.

Beautiful blocks Anael, just a little head start on the rest of us
    Karen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
    I have the book, foundation disk, fabric, and ready to go, Carrie! (Or is the foundation disk Dear Jane? I can get confused easy.
    Last Spring I purchased five paper piecing books on eBay for $16 and the 50 Star book does contain a CD, which features Carol Doak demonstrating her paper-piecing technique. I had planned to work on paper-piecing and applique this year, but was rather sidetracked. So I guess both are on the agenda for 2014. I am sure I will not be able to keep up, but will give it a shot.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I can't remember who was asking about yardage, but I was wrong...I can't find a recommended yardage in the book.(I am making Dear Jane in 2014 too, and it's listed in that). Maybe I found some recommendations on the 50 stars thread on this board from 2013....I was thinking someone who used the same backing fabric said she used approx 7 yards. I'll check some pages and see if I can find it.

Thanks for the compliments on my fabrics. I saw them and had to have them. Mirabelle, I too am a big fan of butterflies. I know they will get cut up in this quilt, but there is a nice border fabric with some smaller butterflies I will use to finish it.

Anael--pretty stars...both in the fabric and finished "states".

If I counted right we are up to about 25 so far planning to start in January. YAY!

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast