Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

I like waiting to see how others have arranged their colors...it helps me make my choices. I have the colors laid out for Arizona...maybe start it tonight.

My DH keeps asking "now who is this one for?" When I tell him it is for us, he just sighs. LOL...silly guy. I have many squares waiting to be put together into a real top so I know why he is sighing. Gotta love him for putting up with me.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Very nice block Janey. You did a great job! .. I agree... for some reason this block was hard for me. I kept putting the pieces on in the wrong direction and they didn't fit.. My ripper am I were best of friends on this one. LOL

Janey, you are not late and it may not be your favorite but I think it is very pretty. As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong if you have purple in it. AND you have DOTS!
    Last edited by PokerDiva; 01-16-2012 at 07:19 AM.

I understand the frustration on this block, and I think one of the main problems were the sizes of the cut pieces in her directions. For example, piece #7 (for which I cut all 8 pieces) was way too small but didn't realize it until I tried to put it in the block. Sigh. There were a couple other pieces that were a bit skimpy. Perhaps later editions corrected the errors, but too late for me LOL
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Wow - I seem to repeat myself everytime I go to post, but can't think of anything else but that word to start with. All of the stars posted are great. Love those southwestern (even though I don't decorate in those colors, I do love them), the sea, the ones that 'pop' out and those that are more muted. Take them all right now and we'd have a fantastic quilt already!! I'm working at the church today, so won't be home till later to sew, but have my next star cut out - have to try and keep ahead - and will start sewing on that this week. Don't stick your fingers ladies and keep the frogging to a minimum if possible.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

A little trick I discovered helps me. I have all 4 of the paper patterns pinned firmly together so they don't slip around. Then I take the thread out of my machine. I change it to the biggest basting stitch and sew with the empty needle over all the fold lines inside the pattern. Now I have a pattern with hundreds of little holes in it for guide holes.

This really has helped me when I am lining up the fabric as I can see my next "line" with the basting holes.

It also helps me fold the paper over when I am trimming for the next section too if you follow Carol's instructions for the pre-trimming method.

Hope this helps someone else too.
    Lisa L.

Quote Originally Posted by tomilu View Post
    LOVE your star, Nicky!!!
    Me toooooo!!!
    I am an organ donor. I gave my heart to Jesus.

I pay no attention to the sizes she says to cut. I measure them all myself. That way the only person I can get mad at is me.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    I understand the frustration on this block, and I think one of the main problems were the sizes of the cut pieces in her directions. For example, piece #7 (for which I cut all 8 pieces) was way too small but didn't realize it until I tried to put it in the block. Sigh. There were a couple other pieces that were a bit skimpy. Perhaps later editions corrected the errors, but too late for me LOL

Good idea, PokerDiva!!!! Hopefully, I will get all 3 of mine posted this week.

Blessings!
    Carole
    I am an organ donor. I gave my heart to Jesus.

Arizona star

Here is my Arizona Star:

Poker Diva, I may start doing that. Or cutting much larger than the sizes given. I had trouble with #7 more than once. Janet My, I am already best friends with my ripper, have been for many years. I even had to use tape to keep the paper together. Anyway, this is great fun and I am so impressed with everyone's beautiful interpretation of the same patterns.

Okay here is my Alaska block, better late than never. It took me a long time to put together and I managed to consistently shave off the same tip but I figured out why it was happening and hope my Arizona block will be better. Not sure the colors will come through but they are blue/purples and the light background has a rich lavender color to it.

Name:  IMG_0407.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  96.7 KB
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    Here's Arizona. This one went together very fast for me. Name:  Arizona reduced.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  255.7 KB

These are outstanding! Thanks for sharing.
    Linda

Here is Alabama, Alaska and Arizona. If I can get them to load. I got a late start but sure enjoying making the stars. I'm trying for a southwestern color scheme.

Deb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whitepine, your block is beautiful
    CA deb - wow you are all caught up great job. The colors you chose are really bright and beautiful!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Mona Lisa, what happened? Your star didn't load or are you playing with us?

Quote Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 2011 View Post
    Here is my Arizona Star:

Blog Entries
    So many pretty blocks!!!! Good work, girls.

Quote Originally Posted by caquiltingdeb View Post
    Here is Alabama, Alaska and Arizona. If I can get them to load. I got a late start but sure enjoying making the stars. I'm trying for a southwestern color scheme.

Deb
    Deb, your blocks look great together!

Quote Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
    Here's Arizona. This one went together very fast for me.
    Whitepine, I like your interpretation of the Arizona -- leaving out that little piece and instead bring down the fabric in the edge of the point. Wish I had thought of it! Much cleaner look to the star.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    Here's my Arizona block. Gold from the Lost Dutchman, turquoise from Morinci and copper from BisbeeName:  P1110002.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  1.42 MB

And DOTS.....Gotta love it. Great job Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Here's my Arizona block. Gold from the Lost Dutchman, turquoise from Morinci and copper from BisbeeName:  P1110002.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  1.42 MB

Wow Great Job on all the blocks... For those of you having problems with the pieces fitting... I found out the trick... a little late in the game but... if this will help someone down the road I'm going to share. I found out that when you go to put that piece on and it doesn't fit... turn it .... You may think the way you have placed it will work.. but it didn't. I figured that out the hard way.... about ready to kick myself around the block (no pun intended) for all that ripping, but... I may save someone else some time and a king size headache. Once I figured that out.... the pieces fit beautifully with plenty or room to spare all around the edges.

Now I'm going to figure out what I have for fabric for the next block.

Thanks for the kind comments. The blocks are showing up considerably brighter that they actually are.

Deb

Phew...took over 5 hours but Arizona is done!
    Name:  Arizona 1-16-12.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  86.1 KB

I'm not too sure about my 30's theme...all these "prints" that are hodge podge together. I've looked and looked at pictures of 30's quilts and I seem to be on track but.... I usually am not a mix patterns together person, struggling with this concept when I choose fabrics.

Here's the other 2 again so you can hopefully see the theme.
    Name:  Alabama 1-9-12.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  89.7 KB
    Name:  Alaska 1-15-12.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  75.2 KB
    (Alaska has some of the paper peeled off the back...that's why it looks "black" in the center)

Does this look 30's to y'all?
    Lisa L.

Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 73 ... LastLast