Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-19-2015, 04:14 AM

Moonrse, That is one lucky kitty to have found such a wonderful home. Love your blocks & 4 patches.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:37 AM

Thanks! It's definitely a lot more work, and a lot more expensive, to bottle-raise a kitten than I expected, but it's also incredibly rewarding to watch him/her grow into a strong, healthy cat. If anyone needs a dose of cuteness this morning, here's a bottle-feeding video I made of him when he was a week old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7TaNDzySCA

Okay, back to working on my triangles for my second quilt. Hubby is downstairs working on a project, so I might actually get them finished this morning.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:38 AM

Pegin, I love your fabrics... you're surely going to have a pretty finished project. I am still trying to dig out scraps for the second clue.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:41 AM

Moonrise-obviously that little one went to the right home. He is adorable. Good for you for taking care of him.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:08 AM

Judy, Thanks again for a great train ride. I am a little late to start but will try to catch up somewhere along the line. Good bye scraps, Hello new quilt.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:17 AM

What an adorable kitten. He is lucky that you found him and took him in.

Peg welcome! Glad you could join us.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:41 AM

love the pieces posted in this thread. Dont you just get amazed every time we look at the variety ? I do. Judy thank you for making this MQ an easy-peasy. Needed this,but still have MANY scraps so hope you are thinking of the next one for soon.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
Thanks! My stash has dwindled down so low that I don't have much yardage at the moment, so this swap has worked out well for using up my scraps. Some unexpected dental bills last year, home repair bills, and bottle-raising a "surprise" newborn kitten that turned up literally beside our doorstep kind of messed up our play money, but I'll re-stock my stash soon.

Here are some photos of Quilt #1's pieces so far. My triangles are a little oversized, in case of "operator error". I always cut them a smidge too big anyway. I'll wait and see what the next step is before trimming them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506747[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506748[/ATTACH]

And here's the blocks they go with:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506749[/ATTACH]

Here's the kitten at 2 days old, in my husband's hand. He still had his umbilical cord and wasn't much bigger than a roll of quarters. His mom (apparently a stray) either abandoned him or something happened to her. The kitten was behind the bushes beside our front porch, crying his little heart out. Luckily I heard him. I watched through the window, and waited for hours, but the mom never showed back up. Hubby was at work, so, with great difficulty (I have a bad knee and use a wheelchair part of the time), I managed to climb in behind the bushes and retrieve him. Hubby checked as soon as he got home, but there was no sign of any other kittens. He's almost 6 months old now, and is doing great. Strong as an ox! (Pardon Hubby's lack-of-shirt. )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506750[/ATTACH]

Pic from December. Look at the size of that paw!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506751[/ATTACH]
Oh MY!!! Your kitty is just as sweet as can be! And I am a dog person not a cat person but I can see how y'all just fell in love with him.

I LOVE your crumb blocks, almost enough to save some myself....maybe someday!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:19 AM

Judy, I am enjoying this train ride so much I decided to start another quilt. It is great to force myself to go slow & cut off all of the bunny ears as I go. I would love another scrap quilt train ride next time. I actually looked back to see if I could find what y'all did on earlier rides.

Choc late covered strawberries in the club car today! hmmm what should I make tomorrow?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 AM

Love love love how all this is coming together!!! You guys are terrific! And so nice to see all the new faces joining in. Can't wait for Saturday. Hee hee. I know Lynnie is chomping at the bit already.