Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Bonnie Hunter "Easy Street" thread? >

Bonnie Hunter "Easy Street" thread?

Bonnie Hunter "Easy Street" thread?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 PM

I'm in I'm in!!! I'm a first time mystery person...have a really hard time letting someone else make all of the decisions.

So...I'm going with Bonnie's colors, since I have no idea what else to use. And yes Belfry wouldn't you know that we start with grey...which isn't here yet.

And we're off and running. Have fun everyone!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:29 PM

I almost forgot to get the first set of instructions today! So pooped from hosting T-giving I slept late and was a slug today. Now I want to stay up and get started, but will be a good girl and get a good night's sleep and start with a bang tomorrow. I posted this photo on one of the earlier threads, but since this seems to be the new official place to follow this project, I'm posting it again here. It's so much fun to see all the different fabric choices folks are making! The black print on the far right was my inspiration and am considering it for final border. Think I'm gonna go with the darker grey for the constant, or may use both and hold it to just the two?
Attached Thumbnails bonniemystery.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 PM

Scraplady - love that border fabric. I was surprised at how dark Bonnie's grey was when I picked up the paint chips. When looking at the 1st clue today, I noticed why - it has to contrast with the black on white (note how dark hers is). Your other fabrics are fabulous!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 PM

quiltsRfun - - -

IMHO - - - you might want to consider a 'constant' that gives you a bit more contrast; makes all your other colors pop as mentioned by others posts. To my eye, the 'constants' you're considering blend in too much with your beige/light brown FQ's. Try a red or a yellow! I agree with the idea of making up a mock-up block - any pattern - so you can 'audition' your fabric choices. I'm sure you'll come up with something great!

I've changed my mind probably half a dozen times before I finally decided on my color choices so I know it can be a challenge.

Jane
Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 PM

btiny36 - - -

Thanks!! What a great video. I've always enjoyed Billy Lauder. She's one smart cookie, isn't she?

Sew! Sew! Sew!

Jane
Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
So, I'm joining in but super new to this kind of mystery. I bought all fat quarters( as I have no stash)except the grey which is yardage. Are we using all the grey and b+w's in this step. I'm assuming not. Trying to figure out how best to cut the fat quarters into 2 inch strips so as to waste the least amount possible.

My colors are purple, teal, orange and grey
I have some FQ's too and I cut them from the selvage side. After I've squared up the piece, I can be fairly confident that I'm cutting on the straight grain of the fabric which also gives me a sturdier block to sew. I even cut an 18 inch piece off of my grey because I like that size strip to work with. For sure, I did have some ends but I'm learning from Bonnie what to do with them so there is nothing lost. It also makes it easier to stack the fabric in the pairs you will finally sew. After I straightened one edge of my fabrics, I would line up a grey and background, spray starch them well, iron carefully, trim again after they are ironed together and then cut 2 inch strips. Done that way, the pairs don't slide around so much when sewing. This is much more than you asked for and I hope I haven't offended you. I'm just so happy with how mine turned out I couldn't help but talk about it. Everything is more square since I added the starching step. Really the first time I tried it.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:57 AM

I too was surprised by the dark grey but maybe there is a clue in the name of the quilt and there will be a street wandering around the blocks.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:15 AM

Ggal, there is not a piece of fabric I cut that isn't starched...I started doing that about 2 years ago...it really is a time saver in the end....
Old 11-24-2012, 06:23 AM

Thank you for sharing that video! It was very interesting to see how that worked. I will be using a method that I saw Bonnie do on one of her quiltcams. She sewed her strips and after pressing she put two opposite strips on top of each other so that you can lock your seams and then trimming them to the correct size. Now my twosies are already stacked and ready to sew. Hope Im making sense... I've just kind of confused myself lol.

Anywho, here is a picture of some of my fabrics for this mystery...
Attached Thumbnails img_2864.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 AM

Oh yeah, I had a question.

I don't have enough of my black(I am using it for the grey in the mystery) in just one fabric. I have two different brands that are the same color, but I am worried that when I wash it that one might fade more than the other or something. I am not a prewasher and will not wash these until the top is together. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it will be ok to use them together?