Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Quote Originally Posted by luvmortherest View Post
    my most daunting block to date (not quite finished with mine yet) was definately D-11 i did that one for the blue/white/gold block that klue did and wound up throwing it across the room. when i told my Mom that i had thrown it she said "wow that is not like you." she has watched me rip out seam after seam on something i was making and not even break a sweat. D-11 actually made me cry. my advice on this one is to see if you can rework it to make it easier for you.
    I made the block and doing the applique now. That's no fun The block went together without problems though. I didn't rework as I don't see how.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Blog Entries
    On the software, there are several blocks that have "alternatives". You can check those out if you don't feel comfortable, or you can re-draw the block with a pp pattern. Lots of times, by adding a couple more seams, you can make the block much easier.

D-11 was one that many of us re-made the pp pattern for, so it wasn't too bad
    May I always be the person my pets think I am..

Blog Entries
    Okay! Let's SEE some of these completed D-11s !! :-)
    jillaine

Finally I have reached the last posting. I started DJ 3 years ago. I put it away and have probably 50 blocks done. I am ready to join and finish her. I'm not sure that I can do 3 blocks a week, but I'm going to try.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Hooray! I have ordered my CD, book, etc. I will pick up my background fabric next week. Good to go! Can't wait to get started on "Jane visits Pittsburgh." Yep, she is going to be black and gold with maybe a Steeler logo hidden in there somewhere!
    Thanks for all the hints and suggestions so far.
    And.....my two friends and I are planning a trip to Vermont in Sept-Oct to see the original.
    Merry Christmas to everyone here!

Kris

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to the thread with D11 from the original cyber sew. If you look closely at D11, examine the seam lines in different people's blocks and you can see how they made them. I think Janstar divided hers up into more pieces than the rest of us, but it made it totally pp'd and probably easier to make. http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...m1-t49587.html

So here's my D11
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Ok, thomp116, I knew we liked each other. Good choice of colors. There is some steelers cotton out there. get a fat quarter to add in as fabric. If you can't find a piece, then I will get you a piece of mine to put in it.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

I wouldlike to join. Need to get the book or software. This is a very intriguing quilt. I have never done anything like this so it will be a very good learning curve.

I am a little confused here. Is this starting in Jan 2012? I see that people have already got this going. I am so new at this and seeing people talking about some of the blocks already is a little daunting. How does one sort all of this out??????

Welcome urgodschild. This one starts in Janary 2012 but some of us have already made blocks so that's why it's a bit confusing. Some did participate in the first BOW and are starting again with us.
    If you don't want to buy the book and the software I would go with the software.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've been admiring your avatar! Thank you for the offer of fabric, but I buy Steeler fabric by the bolt! Quilts, pillowcases, potato bags, etc.
    I was trying to decide on fabric for DJ, and just being silly, I asked my son for his opinion (he's the one who swears I ruined his childhood dragging him to craft stores). He said, Mom, it's pretty obvious - black and gold. Thought about it, and decided it would be great!
    Are you from Pittsburgh or just smart about football?

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    Ok, thomp116, I knew we liked each other. Good choice of colors. There is some steelers cotton out there. get a fat quarter to add in as fabric. If you can't find a piece, then I will get you a piece of mine to put in it.

I couldn't believe that I had a soft Expression store right near my home so I drove over and bought the CD. Just finished doing the lesson 1. I am starting to understand all this and I am not so confused. I gather we can do what ever colors we want. I was thinking of blues and greens. Hmmmmmm. Well I do have time to think about it. Not sure how long my interest will stay with it. You guys know how it is. My big purchase for Jan will be the DJ rulers.
    Going to go through my stash and see whe many colors I have. I also have a zillion cat print material and thought about doing the DJ in that. That would be interesting.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm....Jane turns catty???? That would be interesting!

Blog Entries
    What is a soft Expression store? Retail, fabric? Never heard of them in our area of New England.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    is anyone using the Ecology cloth they recommend on the DJ site?

I can not believe we are at 22 pages already and Jan has not even gotten here..how in the world are those of us who are starting in Jan going to find any info at all??? Will there be a totally NEW topic made just for posting the weekly info?

Blog Entries
    did all you newbies find the different jane quilts on the CD yet? quite interesting to look at them all. and when chosing a quilt for you 'palet' i do believe it is called, they just show up so nice.

I can not believe we are at 22 pages already and Jan has not even gotten here..how in the world are those of us who are starting in Jan going to find any info at all??? Will there be a totally NEW topic made just for posting the weekly info?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

mim
    I googled soft expressions -- what an interesting site !! Patterns, books, tutes ans lots of designers and authors.
    I will have to go back and peruse it again several times to see everything -- thanks for telling us about it
    Mim

I just bought the cd computer program and I am totally frustrated trying to use it. I went through all the lessons and I still am clueless. I would be willing to trade the CD for the book if anyone is interested. I live in Buena Park CA. Just pm me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    is anyone using the Ecology cloth they recommend on the DJ site?

I can not believe we are at 22 pages already and Jan has not even gotten here..how in the world are those of us who are starting in Jan going to find any info at all??? Will there be a totally NEW topic made just for posting the weekly info?

I was having the same thought. Apparently they did this before so some people have some of this already done.

What's your problem with the cd urgodschild? I think using the program is great because you can print all the blocks so you don't have to trace them all from the book. There are lots of blocks you can pp and print the foundation which makes it easier to make them - at least that's my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    I did a little digging through my UFO projects and found the one Dear Jane block I already made
    . It's also the very first piece of applique I ever did. I made this one about a year ago.
    Wow - that fabric really makes it look so vibrant - like it's dancing!

Blog Entries
    I don't have the CD, but I find that the web site, thatquilt.blogspot.com, provides phenomenal assistance in making each block. So print out the template from the CD, then find the corresponding page on thatquilt.blogspot.com and follow the directions there.
    jillaine

Blog Entries
    yes ladies, the CD was confusing to begin with. somehow i just kept playing with it, and it worked for me. had to reload it into the new computer, so none of my 'stumbled on preferences' were in it. i did learn this time, that to get the patterns to print. you need to have pulled up, and found the different colored/themes of janes on the CD, and placed one in your pallet, or put in your color scheme. THIS time i put in the civil war reproduction themed quilt, then and ONLY THEN could i start choosing blocks, and whether i wanted to PP, rotary, etc. each block.
    I OFFERED WITH ONE LADY here on the board, and connected with her, but not followed thru, cause we had to buy a new computer. BUT PHONE and personnally tutoring a newbie might be an option for us that had been using the CD somewhat successful. how about it old timers. are you up for it. i think i will reconnect with my newbie, and she how she is doing.

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast