Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Thanks QuilterMomma!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Well.....
    I got the schedule completed - YAY!!! hope you all think so... lookin a bit cross-eyed and really should go get the Christmas decorations out.

You will notice a few things. First, I thought of no breaks but as I was pulling the schedule together figured a break now and then to catch up or do something different would be better. Tried to put them around holidays when possible, with two weeks near Christmas. Also, a few have four blocks - don't let it scare you - tried to have things that were either easy or similar. I will attach both the difficulty list that Brenda has in her book for those who don't have it yet - gives names of blocks as well, and my schedule. I did color code the schedule I made up so that you can see the beginner and advanced blocks right off the bat. I indicated where rows were finished and followed row-by-row more or less so that for those who would like to put the rows together to see more of your accomplishments you can. Just remember - if you decide to quilt as you go - this will probably take more time and you may not be able to put them together this quickly.

BY THE WAY - JACQUIE - love your block [not the easiest one!! ]

I tried to put easiest ones in the beginning. Didn't want to put all triangles at the end - but didn't want to start them on a weekly basis either.

Hope this works for you all - if you see anything glaring - please let me know! I will also try to contact you personally to tell you I've posted this soon.

OK - already saw 1 mistake - no - the first triangle I am having you do - BR1 = beginner not an advanced!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 12-15-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: saw a booboo

Thanks a lot Cre8! I printed the schedule
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Blog Entries
    Thank you. What a help you are and I really appreciate it!

Blog Entries
    Thank you. I printed the schedule and marked off the ones I finished on the last attempt at the quilt. I like that I'll have extra breathing room some weeks. My biggest challenge was getting blocks prepped. I'm hoping to do all the ones for a month in one shot and make kits. Once I have them kitted they are like potato chips. The trouble is getting to the computer to print, the iron, and the sewing machine. ( I have two preschoolers who do not nap and can get in trouble before I can even blink!). Hmm. Now I need to sit and figure out an escape plan. Perhaps scheduled sewing times can be at the top of my Christmas list this year.

thanks, i've saved/printed of both docs too...

NDQ, it sounds like you're really going to have FUN! lol...
    i admire your bravery setting out to complete this with your hands being as full as they are!! well done!!
    Jacquie xxxxx

Quilters aren't greedy, they're just materialistic.

"Don't be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    This quilt was my sanity for a while. DH gifted me the supplies and fabric just before my oldest was born. Along with it was an IOU for three hours a month of quilting time. He kept it up for two years until our second came along. Just could not convince him to take both kids. But that had to be the wisest gift he could have ever given me. Adjusting to baby 1 was tough and for a few hours a month I got to feel like me. Soapbox - if you know a new momma or one with littles even occupying he kids for a half hour so she can shower alone is a huge blessing and a great Christmas gift. Don't just offer because most moms will not call, but schedule it.

Ok back to quilt. Now kids are 2 and 4 and I feel the stress building, so time to tackle this quilt again. Little fabric pieces are so relaxing. I have 21 blocks, 16 tris and 2 kites done. I think I'll plan block prep to be on the break weeks, so between now and start date I can get the first batch. Yeah a plan!

Thank you Cre8tvlwyr what a lot of work, but we appreciate your effort. I've made a couple of blocks just to see where I might have problems and I'm having problems with my paper staying together on the paper piecing. I use the method where you score the paper lightly and fold it back and sew along the line. After folding the paper a couple of times it starts to tear and then falls apart. Any suggestions? I guess I will have to put tape on those area.

Thank you Cre8! I will mark off the ones I've done. I love to see pics of other's blocks. You are putting a lot of work into this project. We all benefit!

Quote Originally Posted by jacquie View Post
    well, i got my white kona cotton today, and felt compelled to make my first 'DJ' block.
    so here it is...
    i'm doing mine in batiks, in 'around the world' style...
    i'm still getting used to 'pp', so the seam ripper was well used on this one!! i hope i get better and quicker! lol...
    i 'sew' pleased to have my first 'one under my belt'!!!
    Jacquie, way to go! That first block is a milestone. You did a great job on it and around the world using batiks will be gorgeous.

One tip I might suggest is that if you can, make any of your outside edges larger than the paper piecing template. It's kind of hard to explain but as an example, take the section that is your bottom row, second from the right. Make your yellow piece just as the template shows. Make your white piece bigger on the bottom edge. If you can make all your "outside edges" bigger, when you are all done you can square up your piece using the 5" square ruler and your 1/4" outside seams are perfect every time.

Try using the freezer paper method as described on the thatquilt blog. Freezer paper is much more sturdy and the additional benefit is that it stabilizes the small pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Chay View Post
    Jacquie, way to go! That first block is a milestone. You did a great job on it and around the world using batiks will be gorgeous.

One tip I might suggest is that if you can, make any of your outside edges larger than the paper piecing template. It's kind of hard to explain but as an example, take the section that is your bottom row, second from the right. Make your yellow piece just as the template shows. Make your white piece bigger on the bottom edge. If you can make all your "outside edges" bigger, when you are all done you can square up your piece using the 5" square ruler and your 1/4" outside seams are perfect every time.
    WONDERFUL TIP, CHAY!!!! take note of this one - because when you are done with your blocks especially ones with 40 pieces!! it is a whole lot easier to cut a little extra off than to have to add a small strip of fabric or start over...

any of you who are members of thequiltshow.com - episode #809 - paper pieced perfection - is filled with tips and a great demonstration of a New York Beauty made with this method. Alex Anderson has a few books out too, for anyone wanting more info. Basically 1) you need to set your stitches to a smaller setting; 2) it helps if you run an edge of something hard like one of those quilt tools that has an end and looks like a dowel cut at a slant - you can also use the handle part of some utensils once you fold the paper back over the stitches and then rub along......

ok - I'm rambling - looked back and even I am looking cross-eyed! that is what happens when you try explaining something quickly when you gotta run... promised to watch GS #3 [8mo old] while mommy helps with #1 [5yo] Christmas party and #2 [3yo] at preschool... You need more than 3hr/mo!! I know what 2 & 4 yr olds are like too - my Son & DIL worked full time while I had the boys first 4+years 40-50hr... loved it but wow it does make you tired!!!

gotta run

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I keep reading about Jacquie, Jacquie, Jacquie..then I realized, there are TWO of us..hehehe
    dang and here I thought I was making progress on my DJ....sadly I knew it was not I, as that tote is really buried in THAT room...congrats to the other Jacquie on her first block..it is cute!

Blog Entries
    has everyone found 'elmers school glue tubes' yet? makes the corners ever so nice when learning how to applique, and or sew points and triangles.

AND be sure and give yourself just a tad extra on the out side edges of each block. learn from my mistakes. makes squaring much, much easier.

I called the bennington vt. museum and ordered a poster of the jane stickle quilt. it helped me lots.
    Last edited by sewNso; 12-16-2011 at 12:22 PM.

sewNso, in what way did the poster help?
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Blog Entries
    Last time I visited the Bennington Museum with my friends we all bought postcards and large magnets of the DJ quilt. Love looking at this quilt. Will be copying a colored picture of the quilt to keep near my cutting table and sewing machine.

OK - I have some exciting info for all of you... I was co-chair for our quilt guild's quilt show this year and we advertised the show on the "quiltshow.com" site. As a result they gave us a couple thousand gift cards that are worth one free month membership to the site. I asked if I could share the cards with whomever is not currently a member at this site and they said sure. There are a few things I have to point out - it only gives you one month [probably a good way for them to get you hooked into purchasing more] and although it gives you access to all blogs and all classroom lessons, it may not give you specific paper piecing lessons. Alex Anderson has some great regular piecing and hand quilting lessons in her classroom. There are also wonderful machine quilting lessons in various classrooms. Definitely worth taking advantage of. I just don't know is lesson #809 with a great paper-piece memo will be available because generally you can view the episodes released during time of your membership and a few additional ones that are free to all.

Having said all of that - if any of you would like to have a one-month membership, you will need a number that comes off one of these cards which you can get from me if you PM me.

having said that.... my DD 'may' be having surgery this weekend for her gallbladder so if you dont hear from me right away, do not be alarmed!

take care
    Gus

Hi Gus,
    Hope your DD''s Surgery goes OK and she is feeling fine for Christmas.
    All best wishes,
    DottyD

I want to join in . I have had the book and the rulers for some time also have plenty of fabric . bignan

mim
    would you please let me know more about how you advertised with them?? Our Olympia quilt show is in Feb and we would like to let as many people know as we can.

Thanks -- Mim
    Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
    OK - I have some exciting info for all of you... I was co-chair for our quilt guild's quilt show this year and we advertised the show on the "quiltshow.com" site. As a result they gave us a couple thousand gift cards that are worth one free month membership to the site. I asked if I could share the cards with whomever is not currently a member at this site and they said sure. There are a few things I have to point out - it only gives you one month [probably a good way for them to get you hooked into purchasing more] and although it gives you access to all blogs and all classroom lessons, it may not give you specific paper piecing lessons. Alex Anderson has some great regular piecing and hand quilting lessons in her classroom. There are also wonderful machine quilting lessons in various classrooms. Definitely worth taking advantage of. I just don't know is lesson #809 with a great paper-piece memo will be available because generally you can view the episodes released during time of your membership and a few additional ones that are free to all.

Having said all of that - if any of you would like to have a one-month membership, you will need a number that comes off one of these cards which you can get from me if you PM me.

having said that.... my DD 'may' be having surgery this weekend for her gallbladder so if you dont hear from me right away, do not be alarmed!

take care
    Gus

DottyD - well...we are back from the hospital. Steph's liver enzymes came down but she did have some sort of infection. There was no vomiting so they didnt deem it an emergency and apparently since she has a scheduled consulting appt with the chief surgeon Tuesday they figured it was better for her to wait until then & the doc who saw her today said he would indicate to him asap would be good.

bignan- Welcome aboard!!

mim - to advertise on quiltshow.com - the person submitting the ad must be a member so if you are not you should find a member who is. Next at the site go to features and scroll down to events. You can check this out without being a member. The next step is to "add event" at the top right under the site toolbar. It will basically indicate what to do there. It will not post immediately until they check it out to make sure it is legit - next day. I think they check to make sure posting person is a member and that the organization had contact information. Another place you can advertise is AQS - American Quilter's Society - again you must be a member to post the event. Westways magazine offers reasonable advertising as does quilter's newsletter [I think one of these may have been free?? we had a publicity chair take care of it months ago and I dont remember - but I was the one who set up the two website ads]

The one most successful advertising we had was a human interest story. If you have some type of "catch" whether it be some amazing unique talent or charitable event/group your guild supports or is doing something with the publicity in local paper will be hard to beat. Advertising in the papers is expensive. Most local small papers do give you a free spot in their calendar section - but this will not be as good as a story. One of our members - my co-chair had a great idea of making a "yurt" out of quilts - she and her husband built the gazebo type structure and many members made quilts that were displayed on it. The local paper did a full page spread on it on Saturday and many of our Sunday guests claimed that was the reason they came

Ok ladies and gents, I had planned on doing my DJ in brights cause I have so many, BUT my daughter who will probably get this quilt, would like one in blues and white. I already have the kona snow, how many yards of blue will I need to get for the rest. It will be one blue batik. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    Ok ladies and gents, I had planned on doing my DJ in brights cause I have so many, BUT my daughter who will probably get this quilt, would like one in blues and white. I already have the kona snow, how many yards of blue will I need to get for the rest. It will be one blue batik. Thanks in advance for any info.

I hope someone can give you a good guess. When I purchased fabric, I figured a 6" square for each block. Some yardage estimates for the background are 10-15 yds. If it was me, I'd want the same amount on hand of the foreground if doing two colors. As a general note, I don't mind having overage but hate to run out. It will be interesting to see others estimates.

That yardage figure is way too high...I seriously think you only need 7 yards of fabric both for the background and another 7 for the contrasting colors. I once figured that 29 or so FQs would be enough as 1FQ will do 8 of most blocks and there are 225 different blocks in the quilt [225/8 = 28.12] - unless you want to use the exact same two fabrics throughout it really wont matter if you are slightly over or under - but this really should be enough.

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast