Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 &  2 >

The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

Old 08-04-2010, 03:13 AM

We will be using this thread to discuss the construction of Blocks 1 and 2.

Please add any hints or tips that you've discovered.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 AM

Do you know if there is going to be a tutorial on how to make plastic templates? I want to get started but would hate to mess up in the very beginning
Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
Do you know if there is going to be a tutorial on how to make plastic templates? I want to get started but would hate to mess up in the very beginning
Are there any volunteers out there to do this???
Old 08-04-2010, 04:29 AM

I don't know enough to volunteer how to make them, and I was having a bit of trouble myself at first.

What I was doing wrong was my lines were too "fat". I was using a marker, and when I measured it the lines were 1/16 inch thick! So, it was making my templates off by 1/8, which you know could be a mess when compounded!

So, I started using a lead pencil. Real thin lines, and it worked great.

BTW, so glad we've started! Everything is great!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
Making plastic templates is really not much different than making paper templates. If you have printed out the paper templates, make an extra set. You can actually glue the paper to the template plastic and cut using the printed lines. Rubber cement works well to attach the paper to the plastic and is easy to remove.

A suggestion for those that want sturdier templates, but don't want to do plastic.
You can print your templates onto freezer paper. And then press a couple of layers of freezer paper together to get a nice stiff template.
To print onto freezer paper: This only works for ink jet printers. **Do not try to print freezer paper in a laser printer.**
If you are using off the roll freezer paper you need to support it some. If you have printed off the templates onto regular paper, use that as a guide. Press just the top (leading) edge of the freezer paper to regular printer paper. A scant half inch along the top of the freezer paper is plenty to anchor it in place. You do not have to have the freezer paper cover the whole page. Just the part of the page that has the templates you want to print. The pressed on edge should be beyond that because you will not be able to use that edge. <G>
Once you have the freezer paper printed you can either cut out the template and press to a second/third piece of freezer paper, or press 2-3 layers together then cut out (saves time in cutting. :) )

If it is okay I will post a note about another way to use freezer paper templates for hand piecing.

Hope this helps some.
Pati, in Phx
Old 08-04-2010, 09:03 AM

My suggestion would be to check youtube for tutorials. There aren't a ton on there but you can usually find one or two on any subject.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 AM

I can do up a picture tutorial tonight on how to do plastic templates. It will be on how I do them and there is many different ways but it might help soemone to see how they are done. I cant get to it till tonight though
Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I can do up a picture tutorial tonight on how to do plastic templates. It will be on how I do them and there is many different ways but it might help soemone to see how they are done. I cant get to it till tonight though
That would be awesome!! Thanks so much for offering. I can't really do anything til hubby get back from being out of town Thursday night anyhow since I always have my 4 and usually at least 2 other kids running around non stop anymore ;)
Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Thanks Abby!!!
Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Old 08-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Is it to late to join this group. Have wanted to do this quilt for a few years, kept looking through the book and never started, I was afraid it would fall thru the cracks like my Dear Jane, guess I just need a support group. If its too late, I will make it on my own and just follow what you ladies do with the blocks. I made my first 2 today, what fun.