Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page For Blocks 19 & 20

Can you believe we're two months into these blocks and they all look great!

It has been great seeing everyones blocks.
    I am leaving for holidays next Thursday so may not get to post for a couple of weeks. I have just finished block 25 so I am still up to date :P

Blog Entries
    You think in the beginning that this will drag on for a very long time, and yet, it seems that each Wednesday comes as a surprise...it seems awfully short! I definately enjoyed making blocks 19 & 20!

I agree that time flys; I wonder where it goes so fast. I have next week's scanned and ready to go; the last of the blocks I have scanned into dh computer.

The following week I will be late...gone to Indianapolis, Indiana with a friend who quilts. Her granddaughter is attending the FFA National Convention there. Looking forward to visiting quilt stores there. Please PM me if you are a favorite place there. Thank you.

These blocks were a nice break from all the small triangles.
    Have a question about posting pics. My blocks are all the same size (6 1/4" but all the same) but in the pics I post one always looks smaller. Pic taken by DH with Blackberry. Maybe he's tilted?? I noticed this with the last ones I posted, too. Suggestions?
    Thanks!!

Have you thought about scanning them with the printer? I have a hard time with the camera too. It seems I can't get high enough to get straight on. I guess that's because I'm too short.

We are on a trip, so will post my blocks when I get back. We will be gone a few weeks. I get a lot done when I'm gone in our RV though. Got all the templates done through #50 last month when we were gone, so will cut out the fabric for when I get back. I'll just have to sew!

Great looking blocks gals!

Blog Entries
    How are you all cutting strips 1 15/16 inch? All my rulers are in 1/8 inch increments. I'm trying to avoid paper piecing as often as possible.

Thanks, Barb

I'm not cutting strips-I'm using templates (old fashioned but I'm enjoying it.) My blocks are all coming out the same size: 6 1/4" ! I lost a 1/4" somewhere; I guess if they're all the same it's okay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by collector49
    How are you all cutting strips 1 15/16 inch? All my rulers are in 1/8 inch increments. I'm trying to avoid paper piecing as often as possible.

Thanks, Barb
    Collector49, I'm sorry you're not a fan of paper piecing...I had to give myself a few years in between and when I tried it again, I decided it was fabulous!

JeanieG, have a great time on vacation!

Hi,everyone! I've not been around much these last couple of weeks, I've had so much going on here at home!

I am homeschooling my youngest son, and have been REALLY busy with that on top of everything else, so I got behind on my Farmers Wife.

I am catching up today, though! Today is a "ME" day! LOL! Dalton is gone on a "field trip" with another homeschool family to a science center and will be gone all day, so its time to sew!

Off to work on my blocks, and later, I'm going to get caught up posting all my blocks. I'm way behind doing that!

Thanks, Barb
    Very Carefully??
    Ducking and running.

Actually there are a few rulers that do have sixteenths marked on them, but I usually just cut a scant 2" and sew with a regular quarter inch seam. The few threads will ease in where you need them to.

Have fun,
    Pati, in Phx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pati- in Phx

Thanks, Barb
    Very Carefully??
    Ducking and running.

Actually there are a few rulers that do have sixteenths marked on them, but I usually just cut a scant 2" and sew with a regular quarter inch seam. The few threads will ease in where you need them to.

Have fun,
    Pati, in Phx
    Thanks Pati, thanks the info I was looking for.

What did I do wrong on Block 19: Checkerboard? I hope someone can help. I used the rotary cutting instructions and I swear I measured correctly. I have a completed 6 1/2 block but all my points come right to the edge. So when I finally go to sew it to the sashing, I am going to be missing the 1/4 inch tip of every point. The squares each measure a scant 1 1/2 inches finished. I guess I will need to do this one over. But I just don't want to repeat my mistake. (which would not be the first time.) Thanks!

Debbie

Before you start over, why don't you post a block here and let us take a looksee. We might be able to give you suggestions. There are so many talented people working on this quilt!

Well if I can figure out the easiest way to post a photo, I will. In the meantime, I don't think there's much hope for it anyway, except as a potholder. I did notice that my squares are a scant 1 1/2 inches finished, but the #21 template is 1 1/4 inches finished. So I bet that's my problem. But I don't understand how I would get anything but a scant 1 1/2 " square if I cut it at 1 15/16 inches.

Do you have a scanner? You can scan your blocks into your computer. It's so much easier than a camera and flash!

Debbie mg, The outside squares are all bias edges. Somewhere in the discussion or threads I mentioned that you should cut the triangles larger than needed to assure yourself of decent points. I always cut my triangles larger by at least 1/4" to 1/3". Measure the individual squares after sewing them to each other to make sure they are the correct dimensions. If you have 1-1/2" square--after sewing it should measure 1" square and so on. I find the more pieces in a block the more you have to check. Anne

Hi Anne, I have a really dumb question. What do you mean by a bias edge?

Back to the cutting, I took your suggestion and cut the #13 template into a 2Ē square. Same with #20 template: I cut it into a 2 Ĺ inch square.

I think I see my problem. My inside squares (13 of them) measure 1 Ĺ inches square when finished. I guess this would make sense if I started with 2Ē squares. But when I measured the plastic template that I had cut out (back from when I didnít realize there were rotary cutting directions), itís 1 ľ inches square. So I guess thatís how I wound up with a finished 6 Ĺ inch block with no room on the edges for the seam (without sewing over the points). All my squares are 1/4 inch too big.

Thank you! Debbie

Hi Debbie, when you cut a square diagonally you get a triangle. The long side of this triangle is a bias edge-It stretches and when you sew that side you have to be careful not to stretch it as it will distort the HST you are trying to create.

In fabric there is 1. straight grain- runs the length of the fabric ( up and down) 2. crosswise is selvedge to selvedge (side to side) and bias is corner to corner of the fabric.

If you pull on a piece of fabric that is on the straight grain it won't stretch. when you pull on a piece of crosswise fabric it will give a little (stretch). Now take a piece of fabric and pull on it corner to diagonal corner you will see that it stretches alot-that is the bias of the fabric- so when you're working on a block that has alot of bias edges you have to be careful not to stretch the fabric while sewing or pressing -because if you do you will end up with WONKY blocks.

Finished blocks 19 and 20. Just bringing up the rear.