Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 16 Eastertide & Ella's Star Photo Page

Perfection in the fabrics chosen, the work done, and of course, I have to remember to give a nod to the PPP!!!!!!
    Your Easter block really did pick up the Easter theme ... I've been tempted to use Easter fabric, but the block speaks totally to the true Easter. Maybe Ella's will see something juvenile?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

QNSue...you do such a great job with the fussy cutting plus you have such beautiful horses to showcase! I'm glad that we don't have to have perfect blocks to post too.

Mirabelle...looking good. I can't wait to see what your show and tell looks like. You've chosen such classic fabric. I bet we would never know that it was made on a dusty trail ride! And perfection is for the quilt police...none allowed on this ride. It really is encouraging when people who have quilted for many years finds a challenge and is willing to let the world see it.

Oksewglad...you braved the little squares in Eastertide and conquered. Great job.

Eastertide and Ella's Star

What beautiful blocks all. I'll have mine sometime in the future but for now I'm going to oooh and aaah over yours.

Honchey, your blocks are stunning and look perfect. I love the blue/brown/cream color combo!!

Anael, beautiful blocks and perfect points. Love that blue/white color combo!!

JanRN, oh I love the hyacinths!! They're one of my favorites. I can just smell them now. Beautiful fabric in both and such great work!!

gardnergal970, love the colors in both your blocks. Great job!! Blue and yellow is one of my favorite color combos.

QuiltingNinaSue, your blocks look great!! The horses look so pretty with the surrounding fabric. Great choice of wood for the cross.

Mirabelle, your blocks are so beautiful, no one will notice any little imperfection. I think they look great!

oksewglad, your Eastertide is wonderful!! It does look like an old rugged cross. The block has a feeling about it, can't explain it. Very pretty fabrics in Ella's star.

OK - The Easter Tide blocks with wood for the cross are perfect! I have ta break away from my fabric & at least use a brown for my cross, Hmmm & blue for the background. Your ET is awesome! You & QNS have inspired me. Your Ella's Star has some great fabrics with wonderful contrast! Not ta mention great PP!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

OK, I need to vent. Those little corners in Eastertide are kickin' my butt. Honchey, I've tried but keep getting a tuck in the corner. I'm going to take nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Termi View Post
    OK, I need to vent. Those little corners in Eastertide are kickin' my butt. Honchey, I've tried but keep getting a tuck in the corner. I'm going to take nap.

**tucks Termi in with a pretty quilt**

♫♪♪ Lullabye and Good Nght ♪♪♫

Termi, Did you look at the photos? and read the instructions? are you sewing into the "V"?... sew the first seam going into the "V" (inside corner) from the outside edge. sew just till you come to the 1/4" seam lines...don't cross over that line...put the needle down into that seam line..lift the presser foot and turn the block around without removing it from under the needle. sew several stitches to anchor/fix. remove the block from the machine...finger press the seam. you should then cut the seam allowance on an angle into the "V" just to where you just finished sewing at the pivot point.Photo 2. look real close...can you see where the angled cut is? this is the part that is most critical..if you don't cut deep enough into the seam allowance the little square will pull up on the fabric you're sewing it to and create a pucker when you have to turn it around to sew the other seam. you need to cut up to 1 or 2 threads of that inside corner. if you have to ..practice on some scraps....or even on paper until you get the hang of it. H.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Honchey; 04-26-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

QuiltE, thank you! You made me laugh out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
    Termi, Did you look at the photos? and read the instructions? are you sewing into the "V"?... sew the first seam going into the "V" (inside corner) from the outside edge. sew just till you come to the 1/4" seam lines...don't cross over that line...put the needle down into that seam line..lift the presser foot and turn the block around without removing it from under the needle. sew several stitches to anchor/fix. remove the block from the machine...finger press the seam. you should then cut the seam allowance on an angle into the "V" just to where you just finished sewing at the pivot point.Photo 2. look real close...can you see where the angled cut is? this is the part that is most critical..if you don't cut deep enough into the seam allowance the little square will pull up on the fabric you're sewing it to and create a pucker when you have to turn it around to sew the other seam. you need to cut up to 1 or 2 threads of that inside corner. if you have to ..practice on some scraps....or even on paper until you get the hang of it. H.

Honchey, yes, yes, and yes. The photo is a little blurry but I know what you mean about cutting the seam allowance at an angle. That's the one thing I didn't do. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions! I will persevere so I can stay on the trail ride with everyone. But sometimes I may fall off the horse.

Blog Entries
    That's why we're all here together-to catch anyone who falls for it may be me next time!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

We've all been there before...I sat with Does & darts for days trying to remember my first handpiecing classes doing open-ended seams and turning the piece to fit...and it doesn't always come back alltogether...rip, rip, I forgot to do this or that. Ugh, take the whole thing apart and start again...One thing I have learned and it works for me is to re-press the pieces after handling them too much..H.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Hope it helped you,
    Termi ... and you got the rest you needed and wanted!!

Ok I wasn't happy with my first attempt at Eastertide so I did it again, I did the main part yesterday and it has taken me all morning to sew in 4 little bitty corners. It's a little better but not perfect.

Termi I complete sympathise with you, I too have a sore rear end

Now lets see if I can get the next two made without any dramas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Karen

I complete changed the colour scheme and I put in a special green from a wonderful lady for good luck, it seems to have worked Thanks QNS
    Karen

Ladies, all of your blocks are awesome as always.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Pretty Pretty Pretty, MiraB !!

I picked out my fabric tonight for Eastertide to be ready for tomorrow's sew-fest.
    Now, with MIraB's comments ... Not.Looking.Forward.To.It.At.All!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looked ahead for the next few ... and thankfully, it looks like we have an easier time for a bit, once we get this week's done.
    I hope! I pray!

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    Ladies, all of your blocks are awesome as always.

Betty62 ... hope you have found our 30 Milestone Thread ... and then you can see the groups as we have them ready show!
    Remember ... you can still join into this trail ride, and we'd love to have you with us.

Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
    Ok I wasn't happy with my first attempt at Eastertide so I did it again, I did the main part yesterday and it has taken me all morning to sew in 4 little bitty corners. It's a little better but not perfect.

Termi I complete sympathise with you, I too have a sore rear end

Now lets see if I can get the next two made without any dramas
    The first one was really pretty but this one is awesome! The colors are better too! Ya did good!

I've got my blocks cut out & am ready ta sew 'em. I spent the afternoon w/my DM so no sewin' taday.

PS I'm gonna skip those tiny little squares!
    Last edited by dublb; 04-27-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    The first one was really pretty but this one is awesome! The colors are better too! Ya did good!

I've got my blocks cut out & am ready ta sew 'em. I spent the afternoon w/my DM so no sewin' taday.

PS I'm gonna skip those tiny little squares!
    Oh come on Bev if I can do it so can you. I just have a few more grey hairs than I did yesterday
    Karen

Oh Karen I keep looking at those tiny squares & cringeing. I did do some really neat FC for those radiating pieces. I think that it'll be ok. Besides I'm already 3/4 grey.
    Bev

Bev I started going grey when I was 23, gee that was the same year I got married, wonder if there is a connection
    Karen

Mirabelle....now you have an orphan pony? It shouldn't have any trouble finding a home though since it is so pretty!

QuiltE...just ignore the tiny square in the frame of the corner square and you'll have a much sturdier piece of fabric to turn the corner with.

I've worked ahead a couple of weeks and while there are no sharp y seams, the only block that was peasy easy was the little sailboat. Laurie has chosen some very unusual blocks for this quilt and they are very challenging for me. I probably wouldn't keep at it if it weren't for this trailride. Thanks everyone for all of your encouragement and the hard work you do for your own blocks.

Mirabelle, this block is gorgeous! I love the fabrics!

Bev, you can do it!

Did anyone make the ice cream bowl already? I don't like that one at all, so I think I'm going to replace that one too. From the moment I saw that block I had no idea what to do with it. Besides the fact that to me it doesn't look like an ice cream bowl at all I can't get my head around colors for this one.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Quote Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
    Mirabelle....now you have an orphan pony? It shouldn't have any trouble finding a home though since it is so pretty!

QuiltE...just ignore the tiny square in the frame of the corner square and you'll have a much sturdier piece of fabric to turn the corner with.

I've worked ahead a couple of weeks and while there are no sharp y seams, the only block that was peasy easy was the little sailboat. Laurie has chosen some very unusual blocks for this quilt and they are very challenging for me. I probably wouldn't keep at it if it weren't for this trailride. Thanks everyone for all of your encouragement and the hard work you do for your own blocks.

ha! Orphan Pony ... you had me confuzzled for a bit there,
    GGal ... I now have two orphan ponies so far. Unlike JanRN, I don't have a Patches to make a quilt for!! And once I work on Eastertide, I might have another!

Thanks for the suggestion for altering ... I'm stubborn and at least will start with the plan of keeping with the original whole pattern! We'll see what transpires today.

I'm really liking the challenges .... that's how we all learn and get better! At least we don't have a full quilt to do of any of the *itchy blocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    Mirabelle, this block is gorgeous! I love the fabrics!

Bev, you can do it!

Did anyone make the ice cream bowl already? I don't like that one at all, so I think I'm going to replace that one too. From the moment I saw that block I had no idea what to do with it. Besides the fact that to me it doesn't look like an ice cream bowl at all I can't get my head around colors for this one.

I see it as being one of those old fashioned ice cream dishes. And yes, I'll be doing it .... just because I'm stubborn1!!!

For FWS, I did a few extra blocks ... then when I came to placement, I was able to switch out, according to what I liked and didn't like for the best combo. Interestingly enough, the ones I originally had figured would leave the group ... they stayed and others were the rejected ones, that didn't look the best with their buddies!

I'm going to be making some extras again ... and keep watching for some that I "want" to make!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast