Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Old 02-24-2017, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Those look great, Giv... I don't think this is a new fad tho. The book I have is from 2004 and it's not her first book on this concept. She's written about 7 books using the stack, whack and shuffle method. It's fun to play with, but I wouldn't want to do all my quilts that way!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:30 AM

It gives me the idea to cut out block components (the various squares and triangles needed for one block), but instead of separately, deciding what fabrics to use for each block, just cut them in stacks. I have some FQs that I've put aside together where I think I'll try that out. Here's a case where I already decided which fabrics to use. I'll cut a 12" block pattern by stacking them, cutting the pieces I need, then I'll have several blocks cut at a time that way, but each will be in different fabrics after 'shuffling'.

Ok! Maybe quilters have been doing that since 2004! lol I'm late to the game! lolol
Old 02-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Givio, better late than never! I love some of the old old quilt patterns on my to-do list that may never get done...but I enjoy the patterns any way. To do and finish one is even better! Do what interests you.

Anyone have suggestions on washing an old wool quilt...some of the backing is missing and I am afraid it might 'wash' out and so I am looking for suggestions. I have thought about sewing cheese cloth over the large area where the backing is missing.....but....somewhere.....sometime...an animal...maybe a cat...has relieved themselves of excess water... and it smells strong...too strong to get too close to it...I think the batting is wool also. Years and years old...I remember it from childhood. Its a tie knotted quilt.

It is snowing here...sigh.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

If it's that fragile, I think I might try soaking it in a big tub of water (or the bathtub) rather than washing with an agitator. Once you get it smelling a little better you can handle it enough to repair the backing.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Power Poster

QNS, I'd consider using borax when soaking...it would help to neutralize the urine odor...detergents only make the odors worse. I would consider dissolving the borax in hot water first, then cool down and add it to your cold water soak. Woolite may be a good choice of cleaner. After the final rinse roll the quilt in a cotton blanket to squeeze out excess water...I remember doing this to wool sweaters back in the day.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:22 AM

Thanks I will get some Borax and use the tub to wash it...the washer does have a 'gentle' cycle on it and the dryer no heat cycle. I think if I can first clean the smell out then add the cheese cloth, I can clean it better then replace the wool square blocks. It is not a full sized bed quilt, more like a throw size...it seemed much bigger when I was a child. LOL! Very warm throw, and worth saving I think.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 PM

OH Givo, I love your blue & yellow blocks. They are gonna come out lovely! It does sound like a great way to cut out your blocks!
Sue, I think ya now have a great plan for your old quilt. Do let us know how it comes out.
DD & her family are here. She & I went to Brownwood today. We got stuff so we can dye her hair tonight. (we just finished doing that.) We also went to a couple of antique stores & eventually got to the LQS. I signed up for a class that is gonna be taught on April 1st. It is tessellating Texas's. It is one I want to do.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

I can't imagine how they are going to tessellate Texases! You will have to show us what you make, Bev.

Here is as far as I've gotten with my FW30s quilt... the design wall, aka back of a tablecloth. I have plenty of blocks, that's for sure!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569037[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569038[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569039[/ATTACH]

These are all sideways, not that it matters...
Attached Thumbnails img_1977-small-.jpg   img_1978-small-.jpg   img_1979-small-.jpg  
Old 02-26-2017, 02:33 PM

OH SBG & loooove it. I keep looking at each of your lovely blocks! What are ya gonna use for a binding?
PS how did ya get your design wall (aka table cloth) behind your cabinet? It looks like a great way to keep it up.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:12 PM

SBG, That's exciting! It looks bright and cheerful. Is it because of lots of orange and pink? What are you deciding? To tone it down with a cool color, or keep it bright with a hot color? I figured you are going with a rectangle when I saw the blocks sideways...