Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM

I have made the Iowa Star, but the other square blocks you sew together, then cut off the excess on the back seems to be a big waste. And to sew all the different blocks before assembly, from outside in, seems so off to me. I am ready to toss it into a deep drawer or closet space. Enough UFOs, to work on, so this one can wait until....I hit an insane moment again.

Glad you enjoyed my 'love on installment' story. Dd is coming a week from Saturday with her family to give dh his new computer...if weather permits. DH has been calling her like two or three times a day 'just' to talk because he misses his computer so much. LOL!!!! And he is under my foot no matter where I am or what I am doing....with few exceptions.

Good neighbors came and plowed out our driveway for us, shoveled out the drift in front of the garage, and the path to the chicken house...with the chickens peeking around the front of their house, cheering them on to bring their food to them.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM

I always connect to each block with a story....and the FS pattern had the Iowa Star for the center:[ATTACH=CONFIG]398303[/ATTACH]
three of four seasons in Iowa,...one is 'deer' and one is 'hearts, representing the warm and loving people who live in Iowa... and one is the fall season, the deer and the green trees are summer season, the flowers and heart are the spring season...winter is the last one I am working up...but as I said, it can wait on the back burner...it will have lots of company there.
Attached Thumbnails ziowastars.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 PM

Back to the drawing board, is it the next round of blocks after the Iowa Star..my e-mail is having a dummy spit, I can receive but I can't send
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM

Receive I did, Mirabelle. It is nice we are on the same page, and you have bought your pattern to do for your son. Enjoy your time with DD, and give her an extra hug from QNS just because you can enjoy the time together.

Guess the storm has everyone else busy, I have missed the chatter here. Hoping everyone and everything is doing fine... Schools in the area remain closed today and more snow came down over night; another 5 inches. Thank goodness our good community helped dh dig out yesterday. Off to the sewing room today.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 AM

QNinaSue, OOOh pretty blocks!!! your Hubby is SOOoooo CUTE! he defiantly reminds me of my dad

Well, I FINALLY drove over to the dairy office building to pick up my UPS package and found our dog Sadie by the side of the highway she had only been gone a few hours, and the Great Pyraneese have a LARGE territory, so we hadnt been worried about her it was gut wrenching to find her, Dh and I brought her home and told the kids.. they all helped with the burial, the three other dogs came up right away and wouldnt leave, our male is her son, and he layed next to her and wouldnt let us bury her. even a whole day later they are still out there near her. she was defiantly the heart of our little farm. so sweet and loving <3
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM

I'm sorry DD you lost your Sadie!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry about your dog, DD. Losing a loved pet hard on both kids and parents.
Angel food cake is out of the oven cooling. In a short time, a run to town to work at a church funeral dinner. Think I'll stop and see Katie (LQS shop) before I head home.
Our corner of the state received abut 2" last night so missed the big blow you had down south, QNS. What a treat to have such good neighbors. Blocks are lovely, thanks for sharing. And mirabelle such a sweetheart to help out.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM

DD--so sorry to hear about your Sadie.

QNS--I like your Iowa Star blocks. Too bad the pattern has to be confusing! We started getting snow yesterday afternoon and it is still coming down...not nearly as much as you have gotten...maybe 3-4" total. School is cancelled today for DD...the other two got theirs done this morning and are getting ready to go out and shovel then sled. I need to finish up dishes, then am heading to the clubhouse to get my binding on my PC quilt...didn't get out there yesterday. We had dentist appts yesterday afternoon and needed a nap after that before archery last night.

Almost went in the ditch on the way home from archery practice last night...we have a couple different ways we can come home and usually I take gravel...which of course on the way home is up hill AND on a curve and the van didn't like that in the snow. This new van I have has "traction control" which is a real pain sometimes!! It turns on when I need to just keep moving. We got part way up the hill and started sliding backwards. I decided since there were no cars I would just back up to the last driveway and turn around to go the other way...well while backing up the van starts sliding sideways off to the other side of the road. I was able to get stopped just under 2 feet from the drop to the ditch and called DH. He came to save us. He managed to get the van turned around without putting it in the ditch, but barely. I figured it would go over better if it was him putting it in the ditch than me! Thankfully we were able to make it home a different way, but it was pretty slow going.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

QNSue ... It's nice to "meet" MrQNSue ... now we need to see you all dressed up in your kilt! Leave it to you to devise Instalment Plan Hugs ... love it! Thanks for the view of your blocks! Me-thinks you forgot three ... JanieQ's and your two. BTW I did not know that you did embroidery too!

QNSue and MiraB ... those Iowa Stars are shining brightly ... really giving a nice 3-D effect to them with the scraps. Looks to me like they'd be perfect PP candidates to easy the challenge of keeping them to size, to fit. I knew QNSue would soon have you recruited, MiraB!

JeanieG ... some more familiar BBs and some different ones! I don't envy your needing to decide which blocks for which quilt ... deciding placement for one is enough of a challenge for me, let alone choosing how to separate them!

Anael ... Thanks for the musical interlude and the sentiments with it. ITA we're doing our part with our quilting group! Oh how nice to "touch" both of the wee ones today. And then such a sudden grip of reality when you had to leave for the other baby.

DDamsel ... oh how sad to lose your Sadie. Our animals are such a part of our families, that it really is a sad day when we lose one. Was she the Mother of your puppies? Looks like you might have some extra work on your hands to care for these puppies now.

OKSGlad ... Alas! some fresh baking for us to enjoy!!! Of course, you MUST stop by to see Katie. Be sure to take your BBs to show her.

CarrieM ... Glad you got thru the road trip safely yesterday. Is it this weekend that the State Archery competitions are? or next? Good Luck to your kids!

JanRN ... Missing you!! Haven't seen you here for awhile.

What do you think Ladies? ...
... do you suppose JanRN is sewing away on her Sweet 16 and finishing her her BB quilt?

BBs ... Looking to see more eye candy from those that have not posted their collection.
And wondering who is going to have the first completion to show us?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 AM

Yes, Mirabelle has helped me out...it just makes more sense to do 40 squares my way (adding seam allowance on the square and cutting it into for two triangles the right size), rather than the pattern's way of making 80 squares/ triangles. Will find other shorter methods as well. Like strip sewing, then cutting the rows to sew together for the blocks.

DD, so sorry to hear about your dog. Someone was not nice, and it will 'catch up' with them down the road. Yes, animals do grieve for one another, as we grieve for our loyal friends.

Do we dare ask, OksewGlad, for a show and tell after visiting with Kathy at the LQS? Hoping to see Quilted Squares tomorrow when we go for wellness check at Doctor's, down for chicken feed, and continue on to pick up cat food at Kirksville...weather permitting. Newscasters today told everyone to stay off the roads!! Noticed semi trucks going down the main highway today, making their time count while they can. More snow on the way is predicted. Side roads are not clear.

Carrie, I am thankful you stopped and called for help and not go into the ditch. Times like these, we leave the van in the garage and drive the 4x4 GMC truck. Although I was caught up once without the 4 wheel drive on and did a 360 degree turn on a highway hill after hitting ice. Somehow, I did stay on the roadway (by steering into the slide), even with the ultilty trailer on behind! And no car/truck came over the hill to hit us, so we were lucky. Turned around in the nearby rock road, put on the four wheel drive, and continued on our way.