Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM

QNS, thanks for explaining the distance from San Antonio; sorry to say geography (and directions) is not my strong suit. Language/origin of words I love. Took 4 yrs of Latin. There was a book published about 10 yrs ago about "Pittsburghese" and the strange words and phrases we use around here. Like "yinz" for the plural of you.

Ggal, I love that fabric and can't wait to see your finished quilt. Glad you got your backing.

Anael, apologies for a Senior Blonde Moment. It wasn't Thimbleberries that had the free BOM it was Debbie Mum. I always get them mixed up. I don't have the book you mentioned but I do have Thimbleberries Guide for Week-end Quilters. You are welcome to it--let me know.

Thanks to Anael and looking for that book, I cleaned my sewing room all morning. I didn't have dust bunnies; I had dust elephants. I also found fabric I forgot about. Some of it falls into the "what was I thinking?" category and will be passed on to my friend who is teaching her DIL to quilt. I found some beige on beige tonal that I must really like--I have 3 separate yardages of it! What I'm looking for and can't find around here is a beige on beige batik; most have blues or grey in them. If anyone knows of a good site for beige or cream batik, please let me know. Back to the Bat Cave, this time to sew instead of clean.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 AM

QNS, Thank you for the offer. It has to be that specific pattern for the sheep as I am making it for a friend, special request. She's worth it.

OK Yes, I usually take a bunch of preemie quilts to do the hand sewing on the binding, but I made a bonehead move and left the tote had full of supplies at home. Oh well, they keep. I have to go back in May so will have some for then. I am a blue and yellow junkie, would you like some scraps? how big?

Anael, I have a friend who has a million quilt books so I am going to call in a favour and see if she has that book you are looking for.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 AM

OK. yeah, that was the name of the pattern. Garden maze!! Thanks a lot, I didn't remember!!
On the F&V I quilted flowers but they're hard to see in the picture. I washed the glue out of it. Why I don't want to use school glue again? It's almost impossible to hand stitch the binding with the dry glue. Besides spray basting is much faster And yes, more expensive

Jan, it's ok, this way we find designs we wouldn't have found otherwise. I looked all over the internet for the Thimbleberries BOM and found some other nice designs!
Did you get rid of your dust elephants? I had a laugh reading that
I order almost all fabric at FabricShack. Very good customer service and I always get what I want at a very good price. They have lots of batiks too.

Janie, thanks in advance!

Some of you might remember I started a quilt 'Ode to my Mom' last year. I put it aside when my relationship ended last year September. I had a hard time dealing with the death of Julian and the early birth of the twins. Now they're doing great and I pulled out the patterns again today. It won't be finished any time soon, I take my time with this one.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 AM

And yet another MB got a stamp of approval I love this job
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 AM

Great story, JanRn, that you found elephant bunnies in your quilt room; nice laugh at that one. Janie, sorry my sheep do not qualify. www.Sewthankful.com has the book for $16.99 USA monies.

I have ordered from Fabric Shack, also www.equilter.com and www.Sewthankful (she has a wonderful free newsletter) and Fabric Depot. Bellaonline has a wonderful newsletter too with free project sites listed every time.

The pattern I have is "Garden twist" and have done it several times.

So, Anael, how many May MBs have you seen already?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:11 AM

I've seen quite a few QNS but still not the one from QuiltE
Old 04-16-2013, 10:40 AM

I thought I had a pict o' my April MB, but I don't. LOL I'll have ta git one taken' later taday so I can git it judged.

So much agoin' on & I can't keep up. LOL Sheep patterns & Mirabelle fabric. San Antoino is alot closer ta Brady than Midland. I haven't made that trip in a long time, not since I was a li'le girl. (The one from Brady ta San Antonio.) I did go through San Antonio when we drove ta Houston from Midland. That was a 12 hour trip, but I think the time ta git ta San Antonino was 10 hours.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 AM

The quickest trip from CC to SA was when I was scheduled to met eldest daughter there, and I got behind a Ford Tarius that passed me, so I decided to keep him in my sights up ahead...no way was I up to catching up with him...with two cars between us and a lead foot, I slowed down with the pack when they slowed down. Yep, that trooper was in the other two lanes facing us across the wide median and as soon as he passed the batch headed to SA, the pace car, Ford T., was off and running hard again. Clocking in with an hour and half record from CC to SA, it was a one time only, despite the fact we lived there twenty five years. Never realized how big TEXAS really is, until we lived there. It was a five to six hour drive from CC to University of Houston in Houston where youngest daughter and son went to school. DD was one of 980 National Merit Scholars, one engineer of 380 engineers in her class to graduate with 40,000 other graduates in her class. It was not unusual to hear at least 10 different languages being spoken there in just one block of UH. Took over four hours just to get everyone seated for graduation...a far cry from where we live now in population numbers. And you guessed who usually drove them back and forth...by myself. College Station at Bryan was another two hours away, difficult to get any kind of transportation in and out of it, so when youngest daughter said, "Mom would rather I go to College Station or UH," it was a no brainer. Sad to say, I seen a news report on the 'starving' college students of today....there is just too much hunger in American today.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:03 PM

Lots of chatter the last couple days. I didn't get any sewing done Sunday or Monday. Spent a couple hours with my sister on Sunday when she came to pick up my nephew and then took a nap. Yesterday took DD to an appt and shopping for some spring/summer clothes. We were only able to find one pair of shorts and one skirt...so will have to try again later. I refuse to pay $15+ for short-shorts that I won't let her wear anyways.

Today I spent the afternoon making my May MB. Had to start twice, then only had to do a little ripping....sent to Anael for "approval". Need to get back to the borders on my BB quilt....maybe on Thursday.

I work tomorrow. Nothing on my "list" to buy so will have to try hard to be good.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Great table runner Anael! So cute, I know your DDIL will love it! How are the babies doing in their new environment? Are they settling in okay? My new GGD developed jaundice, so she had to stay an extra day in the hospital. I think she went home today.

I got a small border on my Pony Club quilt, and I am piecing the 5" blocks and 1" strips together for another border. I think it will look great, I hope!!! I still have a lot of fabric plus a panel that I was given, so plan to use that for the backing.

I picked out the fabric and pattern for my May MB, I'm going to cut it out so I can use it as leaders/enders for my border pieces!