Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 46 of 542 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 56 96 146 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 13526

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

QuiltE..I'll answer your sandwiching question here. I do sandwich on the wall because I don't have any other real options. I first put up a sheet over the wall so overspray doesn't gum up my wall. I extend the sheet onto the floor for several feet as well. I use the big safety pins so everything is secure. I start across the top, pinning the backing to the sheet and design wall making sure it's smooth and even. Spray baste and apply the batting, smoothing it well without stretching it. Spray baste. Center quilt at the top and working out from the middle, smooth the quilt onto the batting. I've never been able to do it but having a string or line to line up the quilt by so it hangs square would be helpful. I leave it on the wall for at least a day so everything is dry and stays in place. I've done this doing one half of a quilt at a time and been successful. Think it through carefully and have supplies within reach so you don't fall off the ladder reaching for them.

I have a question: does any of you have the March/April issue of Mc.Call's quilting? There's a quilt designed by Carol Doak in it, Cactus Star. I would love to see a picture of that quilt. We don't have that magazine here
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Carrie, thanks for the answer. Blocks are made, now to write on them and post them...as soon as possible..probably next week.

QuiltE, there are TWO quilts for AIL....one is fleece backed with fleece. The other is the 4 inch square block that had holes in the back of it and I re-did the batting and white cotton backing for her.

Surprise phone call this morning from our State Farm Insurance office with a question, "Did you lose a camera?" Yes, I said, back in June 2005l She was cleaning out file drawers and found the camera that had our picture on the digital disk and called me. Wow. I went in and picked it up. Disk is bigger than what I have to insert in now, so either I re-connect the photograph printer or I go to Wal Mart for prints of the pictures on it. Thinking about that...may built a shelf and bring back in the photo printer. Cheaper.

Off to the sewing room to work on PC slashing and bbs.

May the reports, Anael, continue to be good news about the twins.

If you read all about our FWQ and PC, Laura, you can learn how much fun we have all had together...the love and the laughter, the tears, and times that we have shared with recipes to comfort each other. It might be enough for another book!!

QuiltE, the one ideal I thought I would try someday with a quilt is to get 3 long oak or good grade of lumber little longer than the quilt is wide...you roll up the quilt on one, the batting on one, and the backing on another. Going to a fairly large table top, you can 'unroll' sandwiching the three together as you spray the adhesive on the backing and then 'unroll' the batting on to it, then 'unroll' the top on to the sprayed batting...or fix all three firmly in place with taped sections onto the table and pin with big safety pins... then quilt by sections on your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    DDamsel ... hey ... we posted at the same time! ENJOY that heat!! ... looks like it's heading this way and bringing rain too. Bet those puppies are getting cuter by the day!!

Thanks for the input re the batting ... I like quilting with the W+N better than the poly, though I thought maybe for babies people liked the poly and it's puffy look, to say the least about the light-weight of it. So I'm not wrong in using W+N?

Others ... any input about the battings, before I go there?

Another question .... sandwiching?
    Have any of you done the "on the wall" sandwiching method. I've read all about it, and understand the how to. What I want to know now ... what goes wrong? is it a good method? or a road I should not go down?

Or what other methods do you do, to get it all put together?

Til now, I have been able to do it on a table, but tables limit the size, so instead of more tables, I'm considering other options. The floor is NOT an option!! ....

What do you Ladies do?

QE
    there is no CORRECT batting for a baby quilt! I prefer baby quilts that FUNCTION, I prefer Cotton it breaths better, keeps temperate. poly tends to over heat. BUT alot of parents like Minkie and Fleece!!! so there goes MY argument
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

My only thought on the batting is that W&N is very heavy compared to polyester batting. Also I think the polyester would wrap around a little one better than W& N.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

I just got a phonecall from my DS. One of the ICU nurses who was there when Bram and Isa came in was there today too. She had been off for a few days so she hadn't seen them. She was surprised they both were still there and she said they were looking better compared to the day they were born! So that's good to hear. Isa's bloodpressure meds went down a tiny bit and both started breathing just a bit better. We're all happy with this news! Tomorrow night they will be 7 days old. Let's hope the phone will not ring!!!

Oh great news on the babies Anael! Thanks for the updates, I always look forward to hearing about their progress! And, they are progressing little by little. My prayers are ongoing for their survival!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

I wish I could hug you all IRL but I can't so (((((((((HUGS))))))))) for all my friends for your comfort and support!

Oh Anael ... you just sent tears running down my cheeks! Happy First Week Birthday ... almost! They have a long and windy road ahead. And each day it's another celebration. I loved the photos today and kept thinking about my friend who had one about the same size. If your DDIL/DS have not done so yet, suggest they get a picture of the babies hands against their hand/thumb. It really puts in all in perspective as to their minuesque size! The pics you shared with us ... just like pics of our Mini Quilts, until you have something to compare it to, you have no idea how SMALL they really are! Sorry, I can;t help you with your magazine request.

try battings. Also, bamboo. So hesitant about the wool, as it's pretty costly and I don;t want to regret it!

GGal ... another wall baster in our PC group! I'm feeling better about it, after seeing DublB's video with Patsy Thompson. Not sure if I'd do it on the regular wall, or use my design wall, as then I could pin to it. Do you think I could do the baby quilt easy enough, without an extra pair of hands?

QNSue ... yeehaw?!!!!!!!!! BBs done and ready for the mail! And yeaaaa .. now onwards to sashing, etc! How kind of you to do the major repair job plus a new quilt for AIL! That is so fun about your camera coming back .... seven years later! Interesting that they all of a sudden found it. Good sleuthing on their part to figure out it was yours. Any surprise memories in seeing the pics? I've looked at that board method for basting you mentioned, though I have even more hesitations with it than the wall basting ... I have visions of me with these boards flipping around like toothpicks flying thru the air!

DDamsel ... thanks for the extra thoughts on this batting issue. There won't be any fleece or minkie this time! When you say cotton batting ... are you using W+N or flannelette? One layer of flannelette? or two?

JeanieG ... you got me thinking that maybe DDamsel was not meaning W+N but the flannelette. I have a bed quilt that I had the Amish ladies use flannelette for the batting. It's nice and light and very pliable for wrapping. ITA W+N can be heavy ... though perhaps not all that heavy being that the size is small?

Speaking of which ........... Anael ... are you going to make a couple of preemie quilts? .... You could use orphan blocks as one could easily make a full quilt! OK, perhaps add a small border!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    Every day they just get stronger Anael. A hug in return.

I sandwich on a double bed or the dining room table and use spray batting or if I'm really particular will take the time to baste. I machine quilt on my DSM. Once the floor worked so well but alas no more.
    Batting--usually W&N for quilts; but have enough wool batting for 3 large quilts that I'm just dying to use. Must finish some UFO's before I use it.

FYI 2 little quilts done and the 3rd ready to quilt--off I go! And then start on the BB's oh a lasagna supper and then a BD party for GD Elise on Sunday-then BB's.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

QuiltE I am with you, tears are rolling down my cheek, these two precious babies are utmost in my thoughts each day.

Anael we are all here for you to talk to for when you are feeling overwhelmed but don't want to worry DS and DDIL, and QNS always has the RV ready for a get together.
    Karen

I don't think the nurses will be very pleased if my DS or DDIL is trying to make such a picture. We have this one though (this is Bram) :
    Name:  Bram1 (1080 x 810).jpg
Views: 73
Size:  106.4 KB
    What's a preemie quilt? What do you do with them?

QuiltE...I do it on my design wall because then I can use safety pins for anchoring. The sheet is to protect the design wall. Wool probably would not be ideal for a baby quilt since it would need frequent washings and the wool shrinks and felts if it is tumbled and dried frequently. Ask me how I know! My DD gave me a washable wool quilt and I didn't know I shouldn't tumble dry them. It's now very felted, much smaller but still a very warm blanket.
    Anael...what a testimony to the twins that the nurse was surprised they were still here! Happy 7 day!!!
    OK...I had one of my quilts done with as wool batting and it does give a different look and I'm surprised by how quickly the bed warms up at night....our bedroom is cold and the sheets are colder.
    QNSue...Sharon Schamburger has videos on YouTube demonstrating the method you described.

Oooo!! I love the pict o' the precious one. Another miracle day.

I use wool in all o' my baby blankets. Everyone who gits one is given washin' instructions. Wash on delicate & hang ta dry. Not one has ever not followed my instructions. (They all know me & believe me when I tell 'em how ta care for a quilt.)
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

According to what I have been told, grandparents carried me around on a pillow for two years....that was back in the dark ages. I slept across my gm breast of a night; I had nights mixed up with days...screamed most of the time developing lung power. (Boy, did I!!! My bras are over the shoulder boulder holders!! A former staff member 'told' me about breast reduction!) A baby here in the USA has to weight 5 pounds to leave the hospital today. Lots of TLC, getting them used to your voice all helps, I am told. Modern tech gives them the edge to gain, grow, and become stronger compared with my time back in the dark ages.

Every new day needs a celebration...seize the moment and enjoy it; a good rule for all of us walking on this earth. Virtual RV is open to all...water is hot for coffee or tea. Fresh fruit is on the counters. Hot potato soup is on the stove. Made with sweating the onions, celery, and garlic together in a bit of olive oil until onions were cooked; chicken broth added, and jowl fat drippings, and three small potatoes, chopped into small pieces. Not much left.

Oh Yum QNS - love potato soup, that sounds so good right now, in rainy Southern California!

QNS your stories always make me laugh, over the shoulder boulder holders is what my DH calls my bras, but then he is a boob man
    Potato soup sounds yum, I have been invited to DS's for dinner tomorrow night, he is cooking roast chicken. I haven't figured out if I am his guinea pig or dinner companion
    Now it is time to bath a dog, first I have to chase him around the house
    Karen

I forgot, I did add Silky Omega Milk at the last few minutes to the potato soup. Dh cannot drink or eat dairy products. He cannot eat too much sugar,since he is type II diabetic.

Mmm, Mirabelle, a new way to make the dog cleaner at his bath; chase him around the house first and loose all the dirt.

Thanks, GG, for the tube site; that might be where I got the idea.

BB hint: I live where the 'dot' is!! Missouri, USA. state symbols include the Jackass, Blue bird, and Dogwood tree. People can be stubborn as a mule here, blue bird brings happiness and good cheer, and the dogwood blossoms are beautiful in the spring. Pattern comes from GG, thanks a million, personalized by its wonkiness of yours truly.

LOL QNS, you have a way of saying things I'm in the virtual RV having coffee and some cookies! I didn't hear from my DS this afternoon so I guess the twins are ok, otherwise he would have called. Trying to finish one of the 50 fabulous star blocks, it's a lot of work but that's ok.

Latest update: they're doing ok today Tomorrow I will visit them with my DS. My DDIL needs rest so she's staying home with Mick. I will be home again tomorrow night so you won't hear from me all day. In 9 hours they will be 7 days old! We didn't expect this for both of them so I'm going to celebrate tonight, I don't know how but I will! I know things can turn for the worst but now is now and they're almost 1 week here with us. Like the neonatologist said, we have been given time to get to know them and that's beyond expectations.

Wonderful news Anael, one milestone down many more to come. Stay positive and yes celebrate every day..
    Karen

Blog Entries
    Enjoy the time with the tiny ones Anael. I'm checking in before girls and I go to the FR at school. Took them to town earlier today but stopped at the SitNSew the guild had and held a little ShowNTell. They loved them and thank goodness one had a camera as I forgot to take a picture here in the excitement of our day. She's going to email them to me. I'm off again.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Anael, I will try to post a picture of Carol Doaks quilt.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  235.1 KB
    If you would like a copy of directions I will try to send them to you.

Hope your grands are doing better each day.
    GrannyQ

Boy! I do have a lot of catching up to do, but I'm doing my best. I saw the posts about the new babies and I'm anxious go back and read about their beginning.

No new book yet, but I do have some ideas. If I don't publish, I have been considering doing an online quilt-a-long like Barbara Brackman did last year for her Civil War Quilt. I'm just in the thinking stage right now, but who knows?

I know that I am going to enjoy your group very much!

Laurie, I'm so happy that you are here visitin' us. It is such an honor.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Page 46 of 542 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 56 96 146 ... LastLast