Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club week 19  Good Cheer & Girl's Favorite  Discussion Page >

The FWS Pony Club week 19 Good Cheer & Girl's Favorite Discussion Page

The FWS Pony Club week 19 Good Cheer & Girl's Favorite Discussion Page

Old 05-18-2012, 03:55 AM

Love your curb appeal and the 'robin' taking up residence, a good welcome to all. Love your 'hilly' terrain that grows ferns & wild assortment of plants and side deck. Beautiful greenery, that makes your FWQ fit right into the scene...with its green also. What a nice place to meet to quilt!! Lovely pictures.

Thank you for sharing. Virtual visiting with photos are fun...almost as good as being there. Have fun sewing this weekend. I am going to try and finish my FWQ...you all have inspired me to try. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 AM

QuiltE....thanks for the pictures. How you must enjoy the having such a beautiful setting to live in.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Oh what fun to look at the "House and Garden" settings the Two Q's (E&NS) have. How do you get that vinca vine growing so nicely. I am so jealous. I'm still trying to get landscaping around the house after building 5 years ago--everything's on a slope and mowing it is not an option. Never enough time. Corn's in the ground except where poor hay field is getting plowed up. Lots of hay down--some to be chopped, other to be big round baled and put into baleage bales. It never ends.
GS's 4-H dog agility class last night proved to be successful. Think Bandit is heavier than GS so obedience/control has been challenging. He's now working with his heifer to get her show ready. School's out next week so kids will be around the farm often. Somedays am so glad of their home is "half mile and a hill away"! Then the next day I turn around and look for them.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Glad that everyone enjoyed the little walk around my back yard! Further down that hill you come to a narrow flatland, with two small man-built ponds in a creek that flows thru my property. And onwards to limestone rock outcroppings, and overhangs ... yes, you can stand under those overhangs. And if you're ambitious you can climb up the rock to the rest of my property which ends, looking down at a river. Angling across the back is my property boundary, which has a busy rail line .... trains can go thru to Chicago along these tracks! Also, the commuter trains in the opposite direction to Toronto.

And yes, this back part of my property is pretty much what attracted me to it, when I purchased it, 9 yrs ago. The front has the typical open lawn, with trees between me and the neighbours, on both sides. And more trees screening the property from the road. So for drive-bys to look in, they pretty much have to stop at the laneway to get a view! Lilacs are all along the lane, and I noticed today that the first blooms are there ... hard to find yet, so I will wait a few days, then start filling the house with them and their aroma!

OKSGlad ... the periwinkle or vinca was here when I arrived. The former owner had planted it and it has just gone wild. Honestly, I don't think you have to do anything with it ... just plant it and it takes off. I will say that I was thinking it's the prettiest it's ever been this year ... and I think it has gotten a lot thicker and spread immensely these last years. I love how the forget-me-nots pop up amidst it .... and other things too! And then, later on, the weeds do too! .... now that's not so nice.

What a great 4-H Club, dog agility!! Granted, I'm sure there's a lot of farm dogs that are not impressed with what their young masters are putting them thru now!!! Crops are really going along for you folks! Last of the beans are going in, in this area and the ground is like powder. WOW! Your school kids get out early .... elementary go right thru til the end of June here. Secondary get out mid June'ish, depends on their semester structure, and when the individual student's exam schedule is over. Then both start back the day after Labour Day. So with kids off ... you'll have more help soon! (right!!!!!)

Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

You could be in my part of the country, QE! Although not in my immediate backyard, just down the road a piece I could find an identical spot! Have wanted to grow the periwinkle for a long time. Our lilacs bloomed earlier; irises are now blooming as well as bleeding hearts. Check out this--did any of you do this with Bleeding hearts? My little GD's loved it!

http://finishinglinesbyksperino.blog...y-feature.html
Old 05-19-2012, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
You could be in my part of the country, QE! Although not in my immediate backyard, just down the road a piece I could find an identical spot! Have wanted to grow the periwinkle for a long time. Our lilacs bloomed earlier; irises are now blooming as well as bleeding hearts. Check out this--did any of you do this with Bleeding hearts? My little GD's loved it!

http://finishinglinesbyksperino.blog...y-feature.html
Oh that's neat! I remember pulling the bleeding hears apart, but don't remember any stories like that! So when you drive down the road, be sure to wave to me! Saw a couple of irises blooming yesterday and the bleeding hearts. We usually see them at the same time as the lilacs. I'm just so looking forward to fresh flowers in the house from here on ... for now, it's just a few pansies snipped off the planter I have on the doorstep.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 AM

pictures of bleeding hearts...[ATTACH=CONFIG]336365[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]336366[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]336364[/ATTACH]that come in pink, red, and white bleeding hearts....this bed is about ten foot long, 52 inches wide and about five foot high. No, I do not take them apart or carry flowers inside although the lilacs are very tempting to take in and enjoy the smell.
Attached Thumbnails bleedingheart-white.jpg   bleedingheartstemblooms.jpg   bleedingheartsmay.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 06:07 AM

And the welcome at the East Door Lost count of the number of flowers on the vine. One of three groups of clematis on our homestead.[ATTACH=CONFIG]336370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]336371[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]336368[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]336369[/ATTACH]

Troubles this morning: the ducks keep raiding the turkey feed and water so we may have to fence the ducks in a pen for a couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails dscn0822-001.jpg   dscn0825-001.jpg   dscn0826.jpg   clematis-e..door3.2012.jpg   dscn0824.jpg  

Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Spectacular QNS! Just bought a trellis for my young clematis. DH needs to attach to house foundation and then let them grow. Naughty ducks!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh
Oh so beeeeeeeeeeaaaaauuuuuuutifulllllllll
QNSue!