Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The FWS Quilt-Along Week 51 Blocks 101 & 102 Discussion Page

You would think being we are nearing the end of making the blocks that we are done. No way Jose!! Now we have to put them together get it quilted and now something new!! We have to come up with a unique label. Let's all talk about it ! Anne

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of a label that tells the story of what we've been about here...

How's about names listed be those who finish the blocks? That would cut the list down a bit? Or do you want it those who finish the tops? Or everyone, regardless of where they're at? I personally prefer to keep names limited somewhat so the labels don't get so big?

I also suggest we pay you for a label...would you want a standard fabric for all or have everyone send you fabric? The first would probably be more convenient?

For label content, I'd like to include the date we all started and date we all finished our blocks maybe? Just a thought...sounds interesting!

Could we include a pic of a farmer's wife somehow? I don't do machine embroidery, so I haven't a clue!

Quote Originally Posted by rwquilts
    I like the idea of a label that tells the story of what we've been about here...

How's about names listed be those who finish the blocks? That would cut the list down a bit? Or do you want it those who finish the tops? Or everyone, regardless of where they're at? I personally prefer to keep names limited somewhat so the labels don't get so big?

I also suggest we pay you for a label...would you want a standard fabric for all or have everyone send you fabric? The first would probably be more convenient?

For label content, I'd like to include the date we all started and date we all finished our blocks maybe? Just a thought...sounds interesting!

Could we include a pic of a farmer's wife somehow? I don't do machine embroidery, so I haven't a clue!
    I have to check my software to see what I can do. I do have picture stitch so that might be an option...I don't use it often enough so I will check with my boss (when I work) she is my go to girl with something like this. I will ask her to research a logo for this subject..

Is there something you could use from the FWSQ book? Picture? Logo? You've had support from the author before, so I would suspect she would approve of its use.

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of a label. On mine I was going to list the blocks in the order that I have them on the quilt, but that is just my idea. I will go along with everyone else.

I think I'd like my label to be like a pocket. Then I would put in the documentation like names of blocks, technique, etc. Do you think that would work? I don't have an embroidery machine so can't really suggest much. I'd appreciate and pay for anything you can do; you've done so much already. You all have done more for me than you'll ever know so I would definitely want our names somehow included in the documentation.

I would like to see a scanned image of the front of the book (thus giving Laurie her credit due). Then a start and end date for those of us that started and ended on the 2 blocks per week schedule.

Just throwing out ideas girls!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanieG
    I would like to see a scanned image of the front of the book (thus giving Laurie her credit due). Then a start and end date for those of us that started and ended on the 2 blocks per week schedule.

Just throwing out ideas girls!
    I also like the idea of our start and end date of the two a week schedule. I know that if we get permission, scanning a picture and printing it out on fabric sheets is easily done. It may be that we have one standard machine embroidered label and then we each can add additional touches ourselves? Just thinking aloud girls!

I LOVE the idea of the label! Im sure excited about it :D

but then I realized "what would the FW think?" I cant put a machine stitch in my quilt now after all this hard work hand stitching!

I want one tho!!! so I will be seeing what you ladies come up with, maybe I can print it and hand embroider it??? or get one anyway and just not put it on... put it with my book?
    hmmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    I LOVE the idea of the label! Im sure excited about it :D

but then I realized "what would the FW think?" I cant put a machine stitch in my quilt now after all this hard work hand stitching!

I want one tho!!! so I will be seeing what you ladies come up with, maybe I can print it and hand embroider it??? or get one anyway and just not put it on... put it with my book?
    hmmmmm......
    i've been smiling each time you type "what would the FW think" and use that as your guiding light.

You know what I think she'd say .... "You go girl!!! Enjoy that modern invention that could have made my life easier!!!!!"

All in jest!! .... and I totally respect your keenness to stay true to your word on all hand stitched! A great accomplishment!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Is there something you could use from the FWSQ book? Picture? Logo? You've had support from the author before, so I would suspect she would approve of its use.
    I feel a little like an interlooper in your discussion, but I have been following the FWQ progress since the very beginning. Back surgery due to spinal stenosis kept me from keeping up with all of you, but I've printed out every rotary cutting set of instructions and have about 55 blocks made and 20 or so cut out awaiting sewing. Now that the surgeon has OKed some activities (including sewing/quilting). I will be able to concentrate on finishing up the rest of the blocks. My quilt has a scrappy look. I have posted some photos of what blocks I've made. I sure would like to be included in your label venture, if possible. Belles

I am probably a little too far away to be included in your embroidered label idea. However I had been mulling over in my little brain what sort of label I would like on this quilt and I have come up with an idea of an embroidered farm setting, maybe an old house or barn with some corn or cows ?? It could say something like

Farmers Wife Quilt
    designed by Laurie Aaron Hird
    Made by ..............in a Sew Along with members of the Quilters Message Board
    Commenced........
    Completed............

Even if you don't have an embroidery machine you can still do something similar with hand embroidery.

I think whatever label you decide you should list Laurie's name as the designer.

I have another idea for a label--I would have to ask Laurie for permission to use the photo of the quilt.
    How about somehow using photo fabric...printing a washed out photo image of the quilt keeping it very light so that we could print or embroider whatever we want on it. It would be like the wallpaper or background. Anne

Look at what I just found!!! http://www.gono.com/adart/farmerswife/farmer'swife.htm

Sounds good. How many of there of us finishing up our blocks and quilts??

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue
    Sounds good. How many of there of us finishing up our blocks and quilts??
    We started out with 79 signing up. I have to go back and count how many I recognize still with us.
    I recognize 16 names with just a couple of the 16 as once in awhilers.

that link is great! I was scrolling down and kept waiting to see Eva Gabor :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    I have another idea for a label--I would have to ask Laurie for permission to use the photo of the quilt.
    How about somehow using photo fabric...printing a washed out photo image of the quilt keeping it very light so that we could print or embroider whatever we want on it. It would be like the wallpaper or background. Anne

Look at what I just found!!! http://www.gono.com/adart/farmerswife/farmer'swife.htm
    I downloaded these from the above site and nothing popped up about copyrite at all. So...I think I'm okay but will check it out anyway. I like this cover. I checked out Staples and they can make a washed out copy...like looking thru a veil.

I like both of these covers ..I prefer the larger photo as I think she represents..to me..the image I would imagine as a Farmer's Wife.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those covers are really neat. Thanks, Anne.

Those farmer's wives are pretty dolled up! Of all of the cover girls, I like the one from Oct. 1926 the best.

Me too!

Blog Entries
    I love the bigger picture also! How cool can this be???

Now, you just have to imagine looking thru a sheer curtain at this photo as the background and having all our information printed on it in black ink. I think that this would be so special....Now I have to find out if this can be done. I'm trying to figure out how to get the photo and printing done at the same time using the printable fabric just once..

LOVE it Anne :D :D :D

Looks like blue eyes vs brown eyes to me in the two cover photo shots. Farm wifes I knew or heard about from grandparents would never have worn makeup on their faces. They were too busy to think about themselves. Cleaning up, fixing foods, growing food, assisting their dh, raising children and going to church on Sunday as a family. Most had 8th grade or less of schooling. Learned how to do without much to do with. They recycled so much it would put modern day recycle in the shade. My Gran (and Gramp)was born before the turn of the 1900 century, and I was raised with many stories of her childhood and mid-life thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Now, you just have to imagine looking thru a sheer curtain at this photo as the background and having all our information printed on it in black ink. I think that this would be so special....Now I have to find out if this can be done. I'm trying to figure out how to get the photo and printing done at the same time using the printable fabric just once..
    It really does sound terrific! Love it!

I really like the larger image, too. I think it would be a beautiful background to a label. I've never printed on fabric so I wouldn't know the logistics involved--thanks for being so creative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast