Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Jane Stickle Cyber Sew Week 5 - I3, H7, D3, E2, RS6 >

Jane Stickle Cyber Sew Week 5 - I3, H7, D3, E2, RS6

Jane Stickle Cyber Sew Week 5 - I3, H7, D3, E2, RS6

Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM

You guys are all so sweet and it's good to hear about that drated RS6. Boy, it tested you but it all came out in the wash.

Lace, you have done that many? Good for you! I was ahead until week 7 and there are 2 blocks I don't know where to start so I won't. F9 and G11 and I4.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Esq, Lacelady and Jan - Great blocks!!!

I haven't started week 4 yet!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Here are my blocks for Week 5. The official week begins February 8th, so I'm posting these for those who are working ahead.

I must be honest...I hate the way I3 turned out...those circles just look plain weird.

RS6 is a challenge - I urge everyone to go to the Cutebuns tutorial on y-seams, and Lacelady's tutorial on inset seams. They are extremely helpful. My RS6 came out...good enough...but still far from perfect!! I hope we all are able to share tips of how we were able to achieve what we did. I will say for me the key was taking my time, not being impatient, and just going at it ever so slowly. I had the tutes up on the computer and just went back and forth with them.

For E2, I chose to use freezer paper applique. I pretty much followed the technique from "thatquilts" blog.

And same with D2. I did 'needleturn' applique and it worked like a charm! There are so many little curves and points. I just put the freezer paper on the right side of the print fabric, and turned under as I went along. They say "needle" turn, but I found I mostly used my fingernails!

And for those of you who haven't seen it yet, we have started a "virtual section" for all these cyber sew items. So you can go there and find the tutes I just referenced.
Sorry, where will I find the "virtual section?"
Old 01-26-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto
ESQ your blocks look great!
Would like to make quilt you show in your Avatar....what fabrics did you use and please what is the pattern?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janstar
You guys are all so sweet and it's good to hear about that drated RS6. Boy, it tested you but it all came out in the wash.

Lace, you have done that many? Good for you! I was ahead until week 7 and there are 2 blocks I don't know where to start so I won't. F9 and G11 and I4.
LOL, that's three, Jan. With F 9, I started by doing the four curved seams. I did two opposite sides first, pinning in the centre and at both ends, then several pins inbetween. Then I did the other two opposite sides. A bit of steam in the iron sorted out a couple of little wrinkles, then I appliqued all the leaf shapes afterwards.

G11 sew the background blocks together like a nine patch, then the diamonds I appliqued on afterwards.

G13, I haven't done it yet, but I think I would tackle it with four curved seams on those central blocks, then sew together as per a nine patch.

I hope that helps you get back on with them.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by skjquiltnut
Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Here are my blocks for Week 5. The official week begins February 8th, so I'm posting these for those who are working ahead.

I must be honest...I hate the way I3 turned out...those circles just look plain weird.

RS6 is a challenge - I urge everyone to go to the Cutebuns tutorial on y-seams, and Lacelady's tutorial on inset seams. They are extremely helpful. My RS6 came out...good enough...but still far from perfect!! I hope we all are able to share tips of how we were able to achieve what we did. I will say for me the key was taking my time, not being impatient, and just going at it ever so slowly. I had the tutes up on the computer and just went back and forth with them.

For E2, I chose to use freezer paper applique. I pretty much followed the technique from "thatquilts" blog.

And same with D2. I did 'needleturn' applique and it worked like a charm! There are so many little curves and points. I just put the freezer paper on the right side of the print fabric, and turned under as I went along. They say "needle" turn, but I found I mostly used my fingernails!

And for those of you who haven't seen it yet, we have started a "virtual section" for all these cyber sew items. So you can go there and find the tutes I just referenced.
Sorry, where will I find the "virtual section?"
Hi - the virtual sections are on the bottom of the home page...under the user defined sections. Click on that, then click on the one that starts with Jane Stickle...when you get it, click on subscribe and you will get all the updates for the threads that are in that category.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

I DID IT!!! I DID IT!!!! I DID RS6!!! Yippee! I have 2 more blocks to finish for the week and then I'll post. It isn't perfect, but it is acceptable to me at least for now. I might redo if I get alot better at the inset and Y seams, but for now...whew!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I DID IT!!! I DID IT!!!! I DID RS6!!! Yippee! I have 2 more blocks to finish for the week and then I'll post. It isn't perfect, but it is acceptable to me at least for now. I might redo if I get alot better at the inset and Y seams, but for now...whew!!!
way to go sandpat :-D :thumbup:
Old 01-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Location: keeping the home fire burning and waiting for my son's safe return

Yea for you sandpat! That is a great block to have under your belt :)
Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 PM

Hey there Sandpat - any suggestions you can offer for those who aren't there yet??