Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: January 1, 2013 Whirling Start 2 - Photo's.

Name:  Jan 2013 BOM.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  54.7 KB Well.... I survived this one! This was a lot of fun Sulabug. Thank you for such a great block!
    Carol

Blog Entries
    I had an "ooops Moment"
    Name:  001.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  77.3 KB
    rather than ripping it out and doing that corner again,
    I just redid it
    Name:  003.JPG
Views: 819
Size:  88.9 KB
    I will save that corner for a new project, or to fill a spot in one that needs it!

I love this BOM, thanks Brat for telling me about it! Now I have oner more block to use in the boom swaps!
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Blog Entries
    The quality of my picture is not very good! I have two calico's and a solid with a geometric design, new Camera! I love the blocks that are being posted, really a very different variety of blocks made.

Patrice, I love how you can just change them up and get different blocks, what a fun quilt that one will be!

beautiful blocks I love the colors being chosen!
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    i didn't throw this block together in a few minutes.
    it took several hours, and i have been making quilts for about 15 years.
    i checked my work at each step. if a seam wasn't straight, or if it wasn't the correct width, i picked it out and re-sewed it.
    i also pressed as i went. that's a lot of trips to the ironing board, but checking each seam and pressing once i knew it was correct helped set me up for success on the next seam.

don't forget ... we are challenging ourselves to work on blocks we'd normally look at with fear and trepidation.
    slow and steady; expect to make mistakes. just be willing to fix them. that's how we learn. (well ... that's usually the way I learn, anyway. LOL)
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: [email protected]

Here is mine. I looked around my sewing room to decide what color scheme I was going to use and found some civil war fabric I have been wanting to use in a project. So my squares are going to be scrappy civil war....I don't know if civil war is suppose to be scrappy but is going to be in my quilt!
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  166.7 KB
    not sure I am in love with these colors...may change...

Blog Entries
    i'm sure many quilters had only scraps to work with during the civil war era.
    your color placement is fascinating.
    it creates yet another version of that block.

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: [email protected]

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    I haven't even started yet! Working on batik blocks for the block exchange. I have some lavender's and teals that I have been saving for a quilt so think I will go with those. Hopefully today....those set in seams are making me shudder already and paper pieced I always have the angle wrong some way and end up with not enough fabric to cover the strip. Patience patience....I need to take some VERY deep breaths. Wish me luck, I'm going to need all I can find.

I am glad this one is done. I have done many many PP'd blocks. This one gave me fits when trying to place the fabrics. AARRGGG.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I am home from vacation and have just printed off the PP patterns...I am heading to my sewing room to make some magic! I am loving seeing what ya'all are posting...allows me to look and see what I might want to do with my fabrics. Thanks Patrice for the tutes regarding sewing this block! Awesome!
    Ronda

So many finishers already and it's only January 2nd! All blocks are lovely!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    I am glad this one is done. I have done many many PP'd blocks. This one gave me fits when trying to place the fabrics. AARRGGG.
    Well you've successfully made this block with 3 colours & it doesn't look lopsided like mine does, good job!
    Last edited by thimblebug6000; 01-02-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Yours doesn't look lopsided to me. We are our own worse critics.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Well you've successfully made this block with 3 colours & it doesn't look lopsided like mine does, good job!

Well after I figured out that the foundations were a different size for 4 of the spokes I unpicked those teensy stitches & replaced 4 of them with a different fabric and am much happier with it now. Name:  2nd try jan 2013002_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 750
Size:  141.2 KB

Sulabug I love your pretty colors, and the pattern. I need to go shopping....
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Both nice blocks ! I prefer the colors in second block - more contrast, "brighter

Red face January Block

Here is my block. I almost feel like I should be making more since 2012 I was making one for each granddaughter. I did the traditional way with the template. I know I could have done the paper pieced without a problem, but I have not done this type of inset accept for hand quilting years ago. So I wanted to test myself. And I even got a 12 1/2" block which is sometimes hard to do when doing Quilterscache. Good start to the new year! Already looking forward to February.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

I really like your block, KLGreene, the contrast and shading looks great-it looks 3D.
    Andii

Blog Entries
    Okay, tada, got mine done today . Thanks Miss Sula it really wasn't that hard after all my deep breaths but trust me I was very careful and I swear it's never taken me this long to sew a block in all my life. Thought I was so smart, didn't have to rip a seam, they all matched, pressed, sewed top togeth then the bottom, perfect, sew each part, seams matched all up.................this looks weird. What the h--- did I do, 1 st pic will show you, same as MaryT,,heehee now I don't feel so bad, I fixed it and final one is the way I put it together....and I did want the middle to spin like it does, honest did that on purpose. But I like it so I want to thank you for making me try this again. Just need to watch that placement a little better..Name:  DSCF1009.JPG
Views: 607
Size:  1.23 MBName:  DSCF1010.JPG
Views: 600
Size:  1.22 MB

Blog Entries
    Jan, it took me a minute to see what you did but then I realized you only used 3 colors also. I think this is going to be one of my favorite blocks, it is so very versatile. and it goes from being scrappy to being monochrome. Excellent block to work with. I am glad this years is a step out of your comfort zone challenge. It is amazing how creative we can get.

KLGreene, I love your's it is beautiful. Really some beautiful blocks are being made!

Yes it was one that took time and thought, but that is why I think I like it so much!

I am excited about Feb and it is only the 2nd!

Blog Entries
    I have a very light lavender also and am going to use it in every other block. That blotchy one is actual 2 shades of turquoise and the 2 of lavender. Have the lighter turquoise too and I know I need more than 12 blocks, so think I will make 2 each month, 1 dark and 1 light, then I'll have my quilt blocks. I just never make a small quilt, they're all at least a queen. Think I only have a couple that are smaller and they're only for Fall and Xmas on my couch for a very short time.

Blog Entries
    these are all very exciting results!

i have a hard time using my own imagination when it comes to colors and combinations.
    i am inspired to experiment more in that area as i see these blocks rolling out for display.

The block is great. The bright, flower print fabrics make it appear to be more of a spring or summer block. But, it's a nice block.
    "Wimpy Christian's won't survive spiritual warfare"- Carman

Blog Entries
    I think that I was looking at this BOM like last years; where each of the blocks was a rendition of that month. But the more I read and see what others are doing I have decided that I am going to pick a theme of colors and make a sampler quilt.

I made a few of the BOM from last year, and ended up using them for a seasonal wall hanging, it turned out very nice. But now I am really excited about sticking with a theme, like the BOM that I often see in the quilting shops, part of a kit.

So I will be making another January block and dedicating my B&W fabric that I have been collecting for years to finally make myself a quilt. And because it is going to be a little harder that will make it all the more special!

Blog Entries
    I am so thrilled that everone is loving this pattern that I picked out & making such Gorgeous blocks!! It's facinating to see each new block posted & how each one of you have interpreted your design. Great Work Everyone & thank you so much for sharing with all of us!!
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast