Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: January 2015 Piece & Cut BOM - UPDATED

Blog Entries

January 2015 Piece & Cut BOM - UPDATED

I had the original thread deleted as I had too many mistakes in the layout picture. So we are starting over. I apologize for any inconvenience but I thought it was less confusing for people if I posted the correct pictures in a new thread.

Another quilt block designed by Rhonda
    This is a 12 1/2" unfinished quilt block
    You can make it larger or smaller by using a different size template

If you need a template just pm me and send me your address.
    I send the 2 1/2" out for free.

Name:  qb.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  absolultely right one layout.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  31.6 KB

Here are the original Star Point Directions

Name:  pict===.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  31.6 KB

And this is the updated version

Name:  star point pictoral 600.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  64.8 KB

Here is the Quilt you can make with this Quilt Block

Incan Stars
    Name:  Incan Stars.BMP
Views: 1522
Size:  1.28 MB

As far as I can tell this tute is mistake free but I won't guarantee it! LOL

Here is a chart I made so you can see what size template to make what size quilt block

Name:  WHITE.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  11.6 KB

Thank You Rhonda. I copied the instructions the first time around because I really like the quilt that come out of this block. Hopefully, I will get it started in the near future.
    June

Good idea definitely less confusing this way, w/ a new thread
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Is it OK for me to post pictures of my wall hanging quilt, even though I got the layout a bit wrong? I've got it on the frame being quilted now, hopefully will be finished and bound this weekend so I can get it hung up before Valentines Day gets here.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    Is it OK for me to post pictures of my wall hanging quilt, even though I got the layout a bit wrong? I've got it on the frame being quilted now, hopefully will be finished and bound this weekend so I can get it hung up before Valentines Day gets here.
    Sure post it when you are ready.

Thanks Rhonda for more information, I saw your quilt and thought it would lovely in red,white & black. So off the the fabric shop last night to buy enough fabric (1/4 metre off each colour) to try this block and I have cut it out and placed it together to see what it would be like and it has turned out great, I will sew it all togehter this weekend and post next week. Then I will have to work out how much fabric I will need for a queen size bed.
    Thanks agian for sharing this block.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lyn I can't wait to see your quilt block and quilt! The pay back for me is seeing people enjoy my designs and seeing my designs come to life! I'd never have time to make all the designs I come up with so it is fun fun fun to see others make them in real life.

I'd like to do the 2015 blocks as a sampler quilt. This block used 4 colors only. Do your plans for the balance of the 2015 blocks continue with a similar color count in each block?

I have a teal green with a couple of coordinates, that is just begging to be used in something, but I am limited in the fabrics. Of course, I can always go shopping! Oh, wait......I am on a DO NOT BUY until the IQF in Houston starting late October. Oh, what to do? What to do? lol Isn't this the question quilters have to ask all the time?
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Thank you for the updated thread and instructions - you are the best. My block, unfortunately isn't the best, but I'm sure I'll get better in time. I think I will probably take out the center four blocks and re-do them as that is where my mistakes are the most obvious. I used a 3-1/2" template which made an 18" block.

Name:  Incan stars - magenta.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  176.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    I'd like to do the 2015 blocks as a sampler quilt. This block used 4 colors only. Do your plans for the balance of the 2015 blocks continue with a similar color count in each block?

I have a teal green with a couple of coordinates, that is just begging to be used in something, but I am limited in the fabrics. Of course, I can always go shopping! Oh, wait......I am on a DO NOT BUY until the IQF in Houston starting late October. Oh, what to do? What to do? lol Isn't this the question quilters have to ask all the time?
    Oh I can think of a couple of solutions. 1) take your significant other to the fabric store and tell him what fabric you really want, (you didn't buy it, he bought it for a gift for you) 2) go w/ a good quilting friend to the fabric store and each pick out fabrics you need and buy the other person's fabric as a "gift" 3) swap fabrics you don't "need" w/ a friend who has the perfect fabrics you want to use.

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Thank you for the updated thread and instructions - you are the best. My block, unfortunately isn't the best, but I'm sure I'll get better in time. I think I will probably take out the center four blocks and re-do them as that is where my mistakes are the most obvious. I used a 3-1/2" template which made an 18" block.

Name:  Incan stars - magenta.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  176.3 KB
    I think you've done an excellent job for the first time doing them. I like that all your points are well placed and none of them are cut off. I do wonder if you have enough room between the points and the edge for a 1/4" seam. Leaving a bit more above the point when you cut the square out will help there. There are crossed lines at the top of the template when it is on point. It is where the 1/4" lines cross. I put that above the point when I place my template. Don't look at the bottom point LOL it isn't centered at all.

Name:  Attachment-96918====.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  37.5 KB

Blog Entries
    The other thing I like to suggest is to tack where your seams go. If you tack the edges together and you tack where the seams meet then everything will line up better. I sometimes get in a hurry and don't take time to tack and I always regret it.

Tacking

Attachment 507342

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    Oh I can think of a couple of solutions. 1) take your significant other to the fabric store and tell him what fabric you really want, (you didn't buy it, he bought it for a gift for you) 2) go w/ a good quilting friend to the fabric store and each pick out fabrics you need and buy the other person's fabric as a "gift" 3) swap fabrics you don't "need" w/ a friend who has the perfect fabrics you want to use.
    Oh Kassaundra..... you are a "bad" influence, but I am chuckling over your suggestions. Now....to find a friend to go shopping with.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Rhonda - many thanks for your suggestions. I took the center four blocks out and will re-do them. The other mistakes will stay but the center ones were just too obvious. I have the triangles all cut out and will work on this at the quilting retreat at the end of February. I'll post my results after then.

Mine is off the frame and ready to be bound. I've gotten behind in a few other things, but hope to get that done this weekend so it can be hung in the hallway for February (Valentines). I'm quite happy with the results, though it's far from perfect since it's the first quilt I did with my new longarm.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Mine is off the frame and ready to be bound. I've gotten behind in a few other things, but hope to get that done this weekend so it can be hung in the hallway for February (Valentines). I'm quite happy with the results, though it's far from perfect since it's the first quilt I did with my new longarm.
    We want to see a pic for sure!! I'm always excited to see my designs come to life!

Here it is, not too bad for the first one using my new HQ. Sure is fun, but I've got to learn my technique all over again For the very first time in machine quilting - I got some perfect examples of eyelashing LOL!! Only right at the start and then I got my tension and movement both working better.

I sure do like the pattern. Now I'll be ready for next month!

Here it is, not too bad for the first one using my new HQ. Sure is fun, but I've got to learn my technique all over again For the very first time in machine quilting - I got some perfect examples of eyelashing LOL!! Only right at the start and then I got my tension and movement both working better.

I sure do like the pattern. Now I'll be ready for next month!

Very nice, I love the secondary lattice patterning

Wonderful, Macybaby. I hope mine comes out even half as nice.

Gorgeous!
    This one definitely is on my "to do" list. Have a few others to finish before I can start on it though.

Blog Entries
    I love seeing how people interpret my designs. Love the pics posted and it makes me happy that you like the pattern this block creates. You can always take the blocks and turn them for more design possibilities also. Or alternate this block with a different block for more ideas.