Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride

Blog Entries
    thanks judy will get started on my strips tonight . i still work every other weekend for little fabric money
    esther

Blog Entries
    Quick question leftover from train ride #1 - What loft and firmness of batting goes in a wallhanging? My daughter is going to use the quilt as a headboard in a guest room. As long one machine is set up for FMQ, I may as well get it done.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Completed Clue #4...Posted picture below. Sorry I was so late to get on the train today had a FMQ class with Barbara Shapell wow she is amazing she has a thread painting class but that is way beyond me don't know if I will ever get that the FMQ to a point that I am happy the way it looks coming off of my current machine. Love everyone's color choices such variety makes everyone's unique.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    Everyone's blocks are wonderful! Can't wait until the next clue!
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    It really doesn't matter irishrose, depends on the finished look you want, flatter or puffy and lofty. Just add a hanging sleeve on the back and it will stay nicely against the wall either way.

Name:  DSCF3772_0195.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  211.4 KBName:  DSCF3771_0194.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  193.5 KB

These are my blocks so far. Can someone please advise the nine patch blocks how many of each we are making? I think I've got to many still learning to read quilt instructions can you tell I'm a newbie quilter Thanks so much.
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

"You will make six each of the two different fabric combinations of A B E and C D F. for a total of 12 blocks. The E and F colors will be in the outside corners, as shown in the pictures, and are the traditional 9-patch blocks that will be 6-1/2" sq." per Judy..

boy you guys are fast just occurred to me that a new clue was posted. I will try to cut tomorrow, in fact I have to cut tomorrow I dont want to get behind too far, next weekend no sewing for me and how long anyone knows shoot. double shoot. pitching a small hissy fit. ok not small at all.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries

ok, 'E' & 'F' end up as outside corners and center of 9 patch blocks and we have 'set aside' half a strip (2 1/2 x 21) of 'A'&'C' ........set aside probably means we need it later so do not let the kittens play with it..... giggle, this punch in the pitcher in the observation car is yummy..... and the crackers with all these different cheeses sure makes a person thirsty.

Oksewnsew, SunlitenSmiles thank you for your help. I see I have made the AE combo the wrong way round no worries have cut but not sewn all of them. Maybe I need to stop by the observation car before the next stop just to mingle of course
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

Hi, everyone! I think I've got the directions right, but please let me know if this is correct: with E and F in the corners of the nine patch, I will end up with some extra fabric. 1/2 strip each of E and F, and 1 WOF strip each of A and C?

Blog Entries
    I think I've had too much of that punch, Sunliten! Muddled brain...will have to go back over the posts for clue #4. Sorry not to be of help. Can someone help me get to my bunk...or do we have those nifty reclining seats for sleeping?
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    YC Quilter, you ended up with the same thing I did! So either we both did it right or we both did it wrong! The extra strips may come into play later, maybe for cornerstone blocks? Who knows? It's a mystery!
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

I don't like the puffy poly batt, because it doesn't lie nice and flat on the wall. So I always either Warm and Natural. But felt a sample of Hobbs's Thermore and am goind to try it on my next wall hanging -- it is poly but so thin.
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Quick question leftover from train ride #1 - What loft and firmness of batting goes in a wallhanging? My daughter is going to use the quilt as a headboard in a guest room. As long one machine is set up for FMQ, I may as well get it done.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Labeelady and YC Quilter, the only left over should have been the half strips, you would have used the rest of the WOFs.

I have the same ones left over also. I cut 3 strips each of A and E and used 2 and a half strips of E and two half strips and one full strip of A, and I've got a half strip of E and a whole strip of A left over.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    I also had and extra strip of my A and C fabrics and a half strip of my E and F fabrics and made a couple of extra 9 patches just in case oh well if we do not use it in this it will go in my tub of 2 1/2" strips for another project.
    ​Christine

Blog Entries

was everyone using 42 inch wide fabric and cuting cross grain...selvedge to selvedge (WOF)

I accidently cut a WOF from a piece of wide back once....2 1/2 inch by 108 inch.....it was late at night.....sigh
    did use it all eventually in a strip quilt.

I apologize to everyone - I guess I wasn't really up to doing this mystery. First I ended up in the hospital for 3 days, then inpatient physical therapy rehab for 7 days, and yesterday found out I have bronchitis which added more meds to my system! Ugh . So I probably should have delayed continuing with the mystery. But if you have left over 2-1/2" pieces, you will use them up at a later date.

Ok let me see if I have my mind straight on the 9 patches - the lighter fabric of A/B and the lighter one of E/F go together and the darker of C/D and the darker of E/F go together. Right? And all are cut 2-1/2"?
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Haaaaaaaaaaaaa, I think that was an 'extra clue' Hummmmm, file it away in a trenchcoat pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    Ok let me see if I have my mind straight on the 9 patches - the lighter fabric of A/B and the lighter one of E/F go together and the darker of C/D and the darker of E/F go together. Right? And all are cut 2-1/2"?
    Not necessarily, Mom. It depends on which fabrics you decided to use for E and F. Just make sure E coordinates well with A/B and F with C/D.

So in other words what your eye tells you looks good go for it? Guess I better get out of the party car and get to sewing.
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Exactly, Nelco. I agonized way too much over my choices.

Katybob is right.
    Yes, mom6, whichever of the E and F give you the best contrast with A-B. Same with your C-D - you need contrast, not similar values.

Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast