Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride

Judy, did you see my posted fabrics on pg. 10? Will it work? Thanks...

Will these work? Flowers are approx 3" x 3" Fabric E is a lighter gold than shown, but might replace with a coral shade to match the flowers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Thanks sauki1 and paintmejudy, switched to the pink and its perfect, well for me it is. Soooo, that's my choice for this mystery train. I don't care where we go, but this train is coming through Wyoming some way this year. We may have to help make some new tracks, but we can do it, can't we......I'll bring lots of treats and tricks I promise. Excited to get started. All aboard.................................

Blog Entries
    Jaba, I like those on the bottom too
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Farm quilter - perfect! Love your fabric choices.
    Thank you, Judy! Since only you know the end result, it is really nice to have your feedback on color choices. Most mysteries don't do that and I really appreciate you looking at each and every picture and give feedback! That takes time!!! Thanks for being willing to spend so much time helping us out

Name:  mqfabric.JPG
Views: 464
Size:  273.4 KB

This is my selection for the quilt can't wait to get started. I love a good mystery.
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

Blog Entries

wow...Quiltad.....those are beautiful

that brown with the leaves .... never have seen that one before

Blog Entries
    Paintmejudy - I have had several friends send me the link for the new train ride. My quilting java has been stalled out for a while, I sew need to get with it again. My fabric stash and machine are cold and lonely. I would be remiss if I didnt get off my duff and get myself down to the train station for the third quilting journey with you and all my quilting friends and the wonderful calorie free food we share as we travel along. So jot me down on the passenger list and I will go pick some fabrics from my stash. Have a great day everyone.
    Have an awesome day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    Paintmejudy - I have had several friends send me the link for the new train ride. My quilting java has been stalled out for a while, I sew need to get with it again. My fabric stash and machine are cold and lonely. I would be remiss if I didnt get off my duff and get myself down to the train station for the third quilting journey with you and all my quilting friends and the wonderful calorie free food we share as we travel along. So jot me down on the passenger list and I will go pick some fabrics from my stash. Have a great day everyone.
    Glad to see you are getting off your duff joining us Jenniky.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Nana, you don't need to rush. Just make sure you let me know when the pumpkin cake comes onboard.

OMG I gotta go eat someting, I can't take it anymore. Need some toast with pumpkin butter. I just finished making batchs of pumpkin butter and apple butter (in the crock pot - burn proof) - both go fabulous with cinnamon raisin toast or bagels, with a little bit of cream cheese smeared on as soon as it comes out of the toaster. Yum.
    Ahh.....Ya'll making me drool! I've never made pumpkin butter; sounds so yummy. Got a recipe to share?
    Jinnie

Blog Entries
    Name:  #3 Mystery fabric 001.JPG
Views: 465
Size:  663.0 KBI have selected fabric, rethought fabric, changed fabric and came back to the original. My concern is that A and C look similar. Do I need to change one of them? Maybe more of a gray would work? Welcome any ideas!!!

Jen, good to see you back - can't wait to see your fabrics.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

I have been revisiting my first fabric choices. Will be going out tomorrow to the LQS to purchase some new contenders that will work well with the main fabric I have chosen. One would think that with a huge stash I could find all of the required fabrics I need. Good excuse, right? Thanks Judy for your suggestions regarding the punch fabrics.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    wow, Jenniky was watching for you from the observation car....when I saw the cloud of sand and dust and the wild horse I knew it must be you...opened the boxcar door and you jumped right in ! so open those saddle bags and let us see the fabric !

Farm Quilter brought up a point that I want to comment on, that most mysteries don't give you any quidence on fabric. However, I feel that with this lap quilt, you are committing to a significant amount of fabric and at today's prices, even if you have a coupon, it is no small $$$. So I will help if I can without giving away the mystery. I don't want you to hate the result, throw it in the Goodwill box, and put a curse on me for allowing you to use fabrics that wont' work!

But probably some of your sharp shooters out there have already figured this one out --
    I had told you to have A-B and C-D look nice together if you aren't using monochromatic. The hint I am giving, and this will be the only hint I will give, is that you will want one of the E-F fabrics to go with the A-B, and the other E-F to go with the C-D.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

QUILTINGNONIE batiks would work if you have batiks that have strong contrast between A-B and C-D. Also, they should be evenly colored - some of them seem to fade in and out of color in the background from light to dark. And I would suggest solids for your E and F. As to your second choice of prints, I think they will work well since the print is close together and you still have contrast with your B and D.

VICKIM love those colors, they will work great. I'm so sorry - I thought I had answered your question, didn't mean to leave you hanging.

JABA glad you like the suggestion

JENNIKY so glad you will join us. Wasn't it nice of SUNLITE to help you jump back on the train.

SEWZE the PUMPKIN BUTTER recipe came from allrecipes.com and it is truly fantastic. Good as apple butter with less carbs. I used a 7 lb pumpkin and it fit in my 5-1/2 qt crock pot. I think I ended up leaving it in the cooker 12 hours. I used their amount of spices but think I added about 1/2 cup sugar at the very end before canning it.

EVEROSE your problem still is too much white backgrounds. If you change your A(I assume that is the one across the top) to adifferent print or even a black or gray solid that has contrast with the red, you will be fine.

CAROLINE S yes, any excuse to buy fabric is a good excuse!

QUILTADDICTION great choices! They will be beautiful.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 10-16-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    I am joining, but I am not home so might have to wait on the fabric selection, unless I get a chance to shop here in Washington. I bring a full suitcase for Granddaughter and Daughter, soooooo I can fill er up for me! Oh now I want to go shop!

It is a little bit wetter (Ok a lot wetter here) but if I lived here I would be sewing a lot more! Which I don't know how I would do that since I already sew a lot!

I am going to make a great Chicken Gumbo soup today, to keep everyone warm and on task! Will be home next Monday and play catch up!

So far both of my Mystery quilts have turned into baby quilts, this one will be for me, or my daughter. I might have to take her shopping and pick out some colors.
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Fabric Update

Fabric A remains the same because I have 12 yards of it and want to use it up, it will be the backing also
    Fabric B will be of the same color but will be shopping for fabric of the same color tone, don't like the solid and it is a sheet I was going to use as backing for another quilt so it is standing in for a color choice
    Fabric C is a keeper, meets the yardage requirement
    Fabric D will need to be replaced with something similar as I do not have enough of it
    Fabric E I found in the stash, it is a very pale pink paisley and contrasts nicely with F
    Fabric F is a keeper also, I love the charcoal black feathery texture

The colors are not quite true in the pics but close enough. Comments welcome, of course. I will be ready for the Saturday morning train excursion. Now off to finish sewing borders on another top.
    Sweet Caroline

I'm not sure if there is enough contrast in my choices. Aslo, they are turned around -
    my fabric should probably go b-a/d-c the bottom is brown for e and the top is white for f (or vice versa)
    What do you think?Name:  101612144550.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  67.2 KB

Here's my choices

Well, here's my choices. From what I'm gathering from the posts, it looks like I have a good choice. Judy, if you think differently, please advice.

CAROLINE S - looks good!!

CHESTER - looks good, also!

CINDY - I love your red and white fabrics but I have the same concerns here as with Everose, all that white, but don't see how to change it, unless you use white with the white stripe as C-D combo, and red stripe as one of the E or F choices. Take into consideration that stripes are hard to deal with, making sure they are cut on the line to have the pattern appear straight, and also do you care if the stripes don't go in the same direction?

Judy, thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't really crazy for this combo the way it was, but wasn't sure how to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
    Well I would love to join cause it sounds like way too much fun. But sadly I need to try and make 3 more quilts for Christmas pretty sure the gifted quilts won't all get done in time but hopefully started. If this quilt was going to be at least a Queen size leaning more to a size 92x92 I might be able to join....
    You can always add more borders...come on, join us!

CINDY - I love your red and white fabrics but I have the same concerns here as with Everose, all that white, but don't see how to change it, unless you use white with the white stripe as C-D combo, and red stripe as one of the E or F choices. Take into consideration that stripes are hard to deal with, making sure they are cut on the line to have the pattern appear straight, and also do you care if the stripes don't go in the same direction?[/QUOTE]

Judy, thank you...it's a GO for my granddaughter's quilt. But, reading this...should I put the E (pink) for D & move D (rickrack) for E? It really would bother me if the rickrack was all haywire.

Vicki, If you use a stripe or rickrack in a quilt, it will not be even and all going in the same direction. Sorry.

Cindy I am RED with envy. I wanted my next quilt to be a red white quilt but hadnt purchased all my fabrics yet just two and not 1.3 yards. I was sort of hoping to hear 1.25 might work for D or some good news like that. I have one could be set, two almost sets with four differrent fabrics I guess I go back through the bins all two of them, pull anything 1.3 yrds or bigger put t on the table and see if something pops out at me. I am fortunate for the gift fabrics I receive but they are usually left overs from quilts etc. I have a TON of red/white polka dots. However they are the cut outs say from someone who made mass little girl dresses ? its the neck cut out portion of fabric but easily three yards worth if you could tape it all together... but no bigger than two hands worth at a time. so without knowing if something like this can work it goes back in the bin. I will be sew happy to watch your quilt play out. I think what the heck if I cant do it I can enjoy it from afar.
    Jaba love your combo, the Christmas colors in the quilt on this page are great oh so many of them are great. I am struggling with this huge contrast but have faith that it is going to work. It sounds like its in small enough pops as there is less of the fabric than the rest or its a frame? (clues come on everyone who is good at this .. clues for the clueless?)

I have an 18" zuccinni staring at me. I think its zuccinni pancakes tonight what the heck, and the other 16 " will have to wait til tomorrow unless anyone wants some? little s/p and a dollop of sour cream they are pretty darned good all crispy.. here train riders over here! maybe if enough join me in this little treat I can use oh another 2". Last week I made two HUGE loafs with cream cheese frosting and it was only a 12" zuccini. sigh. that is one huge zuccinni. spell check. I am tired just staring at it. saw a recipe today in foodtv mag it was for mac and cheese. It had 8 or 9 cups of cheese in it. IS THAT REAL? never made it from scratch but that seems like well a ton of cheese.. bet its good but 8-9 cups.. if its non calorie and I make it can I serve that here or only sweets? let me know hate to bring the wrong thing.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 56 ... LastLast