Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MARCH 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    Now that I am putting my completed sections wondered if people are pressing all seams open? There is quite a bulky area where points meet but I'm pounding them down!
    Mine does too. I read somewhere that with blocks that have bulk, you can press them open. Was that here?

Blog Entries
    I would at least press open all the seams that meet in the middle, for instance the diagonal seams in each block, and the center seams. That should help quite a bit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyG
    Seymoore has picked our March star, and itís a beauty. Canít wait to see what everyone does with this. The star is the Alaska Star from the Heavens to Betsy quilt published by Quilterís Newsletter in June 2005. In the link to the pattern, there are three stars. The Alaska Star, our March BOM Star, is the first pattern. Hope everyone enjoys making this one. It is gorgeous. Seymoore tells me that although the star looks hard to make, it really isnít.

The download is here:

http://www.quiltersnewsletter.com/we...feature152.pdf

Seymoore has started the thread for pictures and has posted her star so you can see it. It's beautiful.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-107747-1.htm
    Thanks, but where will I find the directions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skjquiltnut
    Seymoore has picked our March star, and itís a beauty. Canít wait to see what everyone does with this. The star is the Alaska Star from the Heavens to Betsy quilt published by Quilterís Newsletter in June 2005. In the link to the pattern, there are three stars. The Alaska Star, our March BOM Star, is the first pattern. Hope everyone enjoys making this one. It is gorgeous. Seymoore tells me that although the star looks hard to make, it really isnít.

The download is here:

Seymoore has started the thread for pictures and has posted her star so you can see it. It's beautiful.

You download the pattern (The link to quiltersnewsletter.com) and paperpiece it following the numbers on the pattern. Please make sure to read through this thread regarding some things than need to be done (cut the pattern on the diagonal, add a seam allowance there). If you are not familiar with paperpiecing, please go to quilterscache.com. They have a tutorial there on how to paperpiece. That tutorial is here:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

It will be very helpful to you.

Other than that, paperpieced designs don't have a lot of instructions. You just start with #1, then add #2, #3, and so on until your block is finished. Trim it, and sew it together with the other pieces you made.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skjquiltnut

The download is here:

You download the pattern (The link to quiltersnewsletter.com) and paperpiece it following the numbers on the pattern. Please make sure to read through this thread regarding some things than need to be done (cut the pattern on the diagonal, add a seam allowance there). If you are not familiar with paperpiecing, please go to quilterscache.com. They have a tutorial there on how to paperpiece. That tutorial is here:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

It will be very helpful to you.

Other than that, paperpieced designs don't have a lot of instructions. You just start with #1, then add #2, #3, and so on until your block is finished. Trim it, and sew it together with the other pieces you made.
    Thank you so much! :lol:

Blog Entries
    So glad Judy has been helping! She explains things so well! Life is crazy right now, will check back whenever I get a free moment. Keep having fun with this block, it's meant to be fun - not stress you out. ;-)

I keep selecting my colors and changing my mind. I need to make a decision and get going on this. It looks like it may take some time to finish. So far all of your completed blocks are beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle48350
    I keep selecting my colors and changing my mind. I need to make a decision and get going on this. It looks like it may take some time to finish. So far all of your completed blocks are beautiful.
    I often find this is the hardest part of project. Be patient with yourself and you color scheme will come to you.

Printed mine out today. I hope to work on it Sunday, I am very excited to see if I can do this. PP has been fun to learn but they look sooo intimidating. I appreciate all the advice posted.

Blog Entries
    For those who have worked on the other two blocks that came with this star, did you also cut the templates on the diagonal and add a 1/4 inch? Thanks!
    Tulip

Blog Entries
    Yes, Tulip, you would have to do that with all the patterns.

I just finished mine (see picture thread), and on the very last quarter of it, I found a neat trick to make the process a little faster.

On parts 1-11 on a single eight section, since you are waking away from the middle one either side - if you're careful you can do two pieces at once before going to press them open.

If that makes any sense at all...it's hard to describe, but it kept me from having to walk back and forth from living room (sewing machine) to kitchen (iron) as much.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Tulip, you would have to do that with all the patterns.
    Thank you Judy for the info!

I finished my March Star BOM last night and I'm so mad I could just spit. All of my star quarters and eighths went together with a modicum of fuss. Points were dead on, seams met and played nice, seams straight and spot-on 1/4". Even to the halfway point, everything was going well. Got to the final center seam and one half of my block is A HALF-INCH bigger than the other!! I haven't figured out how I managed to do this. I put it aside last night and vowed to leave it the way it is for all eternity but thought better of it this morning. I'm going to take it back to 4 quarter-blocks and re-stitch it.

Did I say a modicum of fuss? Well, I may have to eat those words.

Blog Entries
    Help I am unable to download March Star BOM. Is this one no longer available?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linmid
    Help I am unable to download March Star BOM. Is this one no longer available?
    I was just able to download it. Do you have a different browser you could try? I'm not sure why you can't download it.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what the problem was but I was able to download it just now. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2