Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
New Quilting Bee, August 2017 >

New Quilting Bee, August 2017

New Quilting Bee, August 2017

Old 08-04-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Jan, Thank you so much for the explanation. You cleared up my questions. You have been so helpful to me, I really appreciate your on-line mentoring:-)
You're very welcome. That's how we all learn. When I started quilting about 25? years ago, I got help from the clerks at my local Joanns store, and then later I got into looking up tutorials and info on the computer. I often wished I had a family member to help me! These forums feel like family to me and I think its great when we can help each other, whether it be about quilting or just life in general. Its been a God Send to me during this time of my illness and I am so thankful to each and everyone here! TSC, feel free to PM me any time and I will help you if I can. But from what I've seen you are doing great! Janet
Old 08-05-2017, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
You're very welcome. That's how we all learn. When I started quilting about 25? years ago, I got help from the clerks at my local Joanns store, and then later I got into looking up tutorials and info on the computer. I often wished I had a family member to help me! These forums feel like family to me and I think its great when we can help each other, whether it be about quilting or just life in general. Its been a God Send to me during this time of my illness and I am so thankful to each and everyone here! TSC, feel free to PM me any time and I will help you if I can. But from what I've seen you are doing great! Janet
The quilters on this site are the best! Love your explanation Jan! I recently shared with another quilter all my little triangle trimmings. She was thrilled! You'll probably find your scraps calling to you at some point on your quilting journey. For me, as a new quilter, I think it was about a year of active sewing before I realized I had enough 'scrap' volume to actually make something awesome with them! Now it's one of my favorite types of quilt projects.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:23 AM

Thanks to Janet's help, I made the Jack in a Box block last night.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]578049[/ATTACH]

This morning I was ready for more, so I knocked out Chain Link. I will tell you what, having a block board was so helpful with these blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]578050[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20170805_111339-800x600.jpg   20170805_111352-800x600.jpg  
Old 08-05-2017, 08:28 AM

Here are my August blocks. Everybody's blocks are looking great.
Attached Thumbnails 101_0497-2-.jpg   101_0495-2-.jpg  
Old 08-05-2017, 11:03 AM

Oooh, I love these blocks. You have chosen beautiful fabrics. I am making my blocks out of scrap fabric I have. My DH says I have enough supplies and fabric to open a quilt shop. Sadly, I think it is true.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:07 PM

I must be having a stupid attack but I cannot download or print the directions for the Jack in the Box quilt. I printed the corner units but I cannot print the directions to cut and assemble the block. HELP!!!
Old 08-05-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
I must be having a stupid attack but I cannot download or print the directions for the Jack in the Box quilt. I printed the corner units but I cannot print the directions to cut and assemble the block. HELP!!!
There is a place on the pattern to click when you are on-line that shows how to assemble it. It is in step 2, "making connector corners". It takes you to another block that shows how to do it. I just had my tablet next to me and worked off that.

How exciting, I've been able to answer a quilting question! LOL
Old 08-05-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Jan, Thank you so much for the explanation. You cleared up my questions. You have been so helpful to me, I really appreciate your on-line mentoring:-)
TSC, I appreciate YOU asking questions because I'm silently learning along with you...
Old 08-05-2017, 04:09 PM

Thank you Tscweaves for your help. Windows 10 is driving me batty but I did finally manage to print the directions. I am going to paper piece the 4 corners.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:52 PM

I sew those "waste triangles" together as soon as I cut them away. When making the backing for the quilt, it's fun to use them to break up the solid backing. Sew them in a strip that goes all the way across or spin them into pinwheels for a little added interest. You're right, they are small pieces so tossing them is no big deal if that's what you choose.