Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    Man I was hoping to be caught up by Friday Doesn't look like its gonna happen. I have to finish my mom's christmas quilt this week cause she'll be home next and I got a stinkin cold
    Hey, worry about you, you are what matters. This quilt will get done eventually. I'm still way behind on this too!! I've still got all of the QTS still to sew, they're cut, but none are sewn. I've got 2 strips on about 10 squares, 2 quilts and 1 shaw that need to be finished by the 25th!!! Please don't let it get to you!!

Blog Entries
    I only have 23 more purple string blocks to do for step 4. This time I used the phone book pages and it is alot easier on getting the paper off. Hopefully I can get them finished before step 5 comes on Friday.
    Carolyn
    Carolyn
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/islandwiz1/Boom%206%20Autumn%20Group/

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    Man I was hoping to be caught up by Friday Doesn't look like its gonna happen. I have to finish my mom's christmas quilt this week cause she'll be home next and I got a stinkin cold
    I'm still working on part 1. I got a few more done today, about 20, and I, too, have a stinkin' cold!!!
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North
    So this is where I caught that nasty cold! I should have known!
    Part 1 - done!
    Part 2 - done!
    Part 3 - 36 hst
    Part 4 - 4 triangles
    and part 5 is almost here

But... I just finished a throw and ONLY have the king to sandwich & quilt before Christmas.
    Certified basketcase
    Diane

Yay I'm not the only slow one

I am actually done with all 4 steps. I need to take pictures and post on the picture thread. I have so enjoyed this, and I can't wait until step 5 on Friday!
    I am a homeschool mom to four little ladies, a prayerful wonderer and marveller, a spirit-filled dancer, a meek and mighty warrior, and a friend to many small creatures. Nice to meet you!

Blog Entries
    Great progress everyone!!!
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    I have been watching this thread. i just am not sure how to do my colors. I want to use my scraps for this and if you could define just how best to go about this. I have read 90% of the posts. Looked at the instructions, printed them out, just want to picture this in my mind a bit more. I know there would go the surprise, but want the colors to work right. If I have 50 different neutrals that are from 2" to 10' will that work, the same for the darks, and then the two colors? Any ideas? Just can't seem to get past this step. Sounds silly, I can create all kinds of quilts, but when working on thos scraps, can't put them together where they play nice.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

How about throwing the lights in one bag and darks in another bag and pull randomly. Try not to fret about them working together. I finally did that because I was spending too much time thinking about them "working" together. Some I like and some I don't but I think when all of the parts are done they will all play nicely together.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    How about throwing the lights in one bag and darks in another bag and pull randomly. Try not to fret about them working together. I finally did that because I was spending too much time thinking about them "working" together. Some I like and some I don't but I think when all of the parts are done they will all play nicely together.
    I do this sometimes, but when I pull something out I really don't like I cheat and pull again.
    Sadiemae

Sheri, I think that since you washed a scrap and it did Ok, then why not, if you want to use the dress scraps, use them

QuilterMomma, I think what you described sounds good. Like you, I have never done a scrappy before, so this is quite out of my comfort zone. The way I personally approached this is looking at my FQ bins ( don't have many scraps) and picked the two colors I thought I had the most of: red and green. And then for my dark, I have lots of browns, and the neutral I am using yardage as I don't have any scraps of that at all. Hope this helps you some, if you look at the clues so far, Bonnie has been using really small pieces and a wide variety of hues of the same color, so say you picked red for your main color, anything from pinks to burgundy and maybe even purple would work in these string blocks. I say just dive in

On another note, I've been trying to catch up here, I made 92 QSTs and have the rest cut, made about a dozen of clue two and have lots more strings cut, and then about a dozen HST and the rest cut, yup, spent a good part of the day cutting today. A gift I was working on for a friend didn't turn out like I wanted it to, so I took my frustration out on the fabric, slish slash, woo hoo, lots cut, but unfortunately I have to work all weekend, so sewing will go slowly, but I am looking forward to clue 5 (OMG, just saying that makes me feel behind )

Candi
    "Kindness is the oil that smooths the frictions in life"
    My etsy Store:
    www.itssewyoudear.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
    I do this sometimes, but when I pull something out I really don't like I cheat and pull again.
    Yes, I do cheat sometimes, but only if the combo is not really pleasing to me.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    YAHOO!!!! I finished the sewwing of step four just removing paper and trimming the last 25 now. Wonder what step 5 will bring?
    Carolyn
    Carolyn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandwiz1 View Post
    YAHOO!!!! I finished the sewwing of step four just removing paper and trimming the last 25 now. Wonder what step 5 will bring?
    Carolyn
    Awesome!!!
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    Carolyn
    Good Job!!

Carolyn
    Congrats!

I had a devil of a time getting the paper off of my blocks. Like a doofus, I forgot to reduce my stitch length and switch to a denim needle, so the paper didn't tear as easily as I hoped. Guess I learned not to get so excited about sewing that I forget the little mundane necessities!
    I am a homeschool mom to four little ladies, a prayerful wonderer and marveller, a spirit-filled dancer, a meek and mighty warrior, and a friend to many small creatures. Nice to meet you!

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    I have been watching this thread. i just am not sure how to do my colors. I want to use my scraps for this and if you could define just how best to go about this. I have read 90% of the posts. Looked at the instructions, printed them out, just want to picture this in my mind a bit more. I know there would go the surprise, but want the colors to work right. If I have 50 different neutrals that are from 2" to 10' will that work, the same for the darks, and then the two colors? Any ideas? Just can't seem to get past this step. Sounds silly, I can create all kinds of quilts, but when working on thos scraps, can't put them together where they play nice.
    You must have been playing inside my head :0)

This is my first scrappy quilt, and I am having such a hard time just "letting it happen". I admit that in the beginning, I tried to coordinate my scraps as much as possible, and ended up quite frustrated. I finally had to give up a lot of control over what I thought would/would not go well together. Just to appease myself, I did somewhat try to balance print sizes and color scales, and although it was not the perfect process I had hoped it would be, I am pleased with the results.

I also realize that this is a quilt with a lot of little pieces.... when completed, the scrappiness of all the small parts will blend and complement each other with a unique beauty all it's own. I remind myself to keep the large picture in mind, and not obsess over the minute details of every little QST and string block... not an easy thing for me to do, but I am doing it and enjoying the process immensely.

I hope you jump in soon.... the water's great over here in Orca Bay world!

Blog Entries
    Wholeheart Mom,

I found out the hard way too. The first strip blks I did I thought it said only 5 strips so it took forever. Untill the brain said read the instructions again. It went alot smoother after that. The first time I used paper to write on too hard to get off. Step 4 I used telephone pages and it was a snap to take off.

Carolyn
    Carolyn

Yay.... part 5 is posted! http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...-5.html?ref=nf

Looks like I will need more blacks, as I am running quite short. I see a trip to Hancocks in my future today, to raid their 99 cent FQ's for every black I can get my grubby paws on, then off to cut!

I have the EZ ruler, but it seems so tedious to use, and not as steady as I like, even though I put the gripper dots on it. Is anyone else having trouble keeping it steady? I may just use my Alto's Quilt Cut to whip these out, we'll see.

By the way, it read that 47 half-widths of black fabric will yield just slightly over 700 squares.

Well, here is my Step 4 blocks. I'm doing yellow instead of the red. I had to round up more yellow to do my blocks so I'm alittle behind, but I"ll catch up this weekend. I purchase some squares on Ebay, and did some swaps with a couple of people on another board (as I can't do that here) and I have enough yellow now to finish my blocks. I am very pleased with the way this is turning out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I love the yellow!!!
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    Oh Boy! Only 700 triangles to cut.

My Microwave blew up, so I guess I have to deal with that before starting to cut.

I think after all of this cutting it is probably time to replace the blade on my rotary cutter.lol
    Sadiemae

wholeheartmom: Try using "Invisi-grip" on the back of your rulers. It works much better than the dots for keeping your rulers steady. You cut the "invisi-grip smaller than the ruler and press onto the wrong side of the ruler in the center. You can remove it too! Works great!

My hat's off to those of you "super" quilters who are all caught up on this mystery quilt!! I'm still plugging along on Part 1, but life keeps getting in the way, imagine that!!

My DH and I babysat my daughter's 3 little ones ( 1-4 1/2 yr old, 1-20 mon, 1-6 months) last night and that was a bit of a challenge, getting through dinner, and getting them into bed. The easy one is the 20 month lil guy; when it was time for bed he goes down so easy, no fussing, unlike his big sis, who "stalls" it out. The 6 month cried almost the whole 3 hours-but we were successful getting a nursing babe to take a bottle!!
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by yayaquilts View Post
    My DH and I babysat my daughter's 3 little ones ( 1-4 1/2 yr old, 1-20 mon, 1-6 months) last night and that was a bit of a challenge, getting through dinner, and getting them into bed. The easy one is the 20 month lil guy; when it was time for bed he goes down so easy, no fussing, unlike his big sis, who "stalls" it out. The 6 month cried almost the whole 3 hours-but we were successful getting a nursing babe to take a bottle!!
    Now that IS and accomplishment. Good job Grandma and Grandpa!
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Love the yellow.

Woo hoo, do I feel behind, but no fear I will finish eventually, I have 40 some string blocks done from clue 2, unfortunately I have to go to work,but tomorrow I am working on my HSTs, I have them all cut but will piece tomorrow, hoping by Friday to have half of every clue done, wish me luck, lol. That is an addition to more baking, working on my mom's Christmas present (a photo wall hanging) and working, yup yup sleep is overrated I did get all of my other presents done and in the mail today, woo hoo!

Candi
    "Kindness is the oil that smooths the frictions in life"
    My etsy Store:
    www.itssewyoudear.etsy.com

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast