Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Sadiemae, WOOHOO!

Cindi, love that quilt and fabric.

Everybody who celebrates, Happy Thanksgiving!
    Candi
    "Kindness is the oil that smooths the frictions in life"
    My etsy Store:
    www.itssewyoudear.etsy.com

Blog Entries
    Hello everyone, I am islandwiz1 from Rhode Island and I have decided to do this mysyery quilt. I hope I will be able to keep up. I think my main color will be purple then pink blue and yellow for accent. How does that sound? If I understand this right I will have my hourglass blocks in blues and pinks.
    Carolyn
    Carolyn
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/islandwiz1/Boom%206%20Autumn%20Group/

Blog Entries
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!! Have been in the kitchen since last night. Cherry Cheesecake, Cheesecake Brownies, home canned greenbeans & ham, mashed 'taters, Pomagranite, mushroom & fennel stuffing, Roast chicken & gravy (there's only 2 of us) DONE!! Just a couple minutes left on the sweet 'tater custard pie and it's TIME TO EAT!!

Christmas light show in the next town over starting at 530!!

Blog Entries
    Carolyn, so glad to have you join us. Your colors sound Beautiful!!!

Coyotemagic, you are making me really hungry.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the crew Carolyn. We are having lots of fun doing this together!

Blog Entries
    Welcome, Carolyn. I'm sure you'll enjoy this group.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    JudyG

Blog Entries
    still sewing sewing sewing! Don't know how many of these I have done. DH is home tomorrow going to get him to press them for me. Hey, I'm making a quilt for his buddy so he can iron the fabric and mine too!!

Bonnie is looking for the pictures for the next post or she's resewing them according to her Facebook post. She miss placed them. UTOH!!!

Clue #2 is up!
    Quilts, like friends, are warm and comforting; and you can never acquire enough of either.

Blog Entries
    I ahve about 80 of the qst done....I can't work on step 2 as I am visiting in tn and don't have my blues with me.

Blog Entries
    2 is going to be easy compared to 1!! I'm still working on these dang little squares!!

Oh my! I've never done a scrappy, and that string piecing is really going to put me out of my comfort zone, lol, but I am up for the challenge...I hope.

And for those of you who haven't found the second clue, here is the link to Bonnie's blog:
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...ay-part-2.html

Glad to see that clue 2 is easier than the first one, hopefully when I start next week I won't be too behind.
    Candi
    My etsy Store:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
    2 is going to be easy compared to 1!! I'm still working on these dang little squares!!
    The first 24 were kind of fun, then...I was really glad when they were finished. These little string blocks will be a lot different than doing 6 1/2" and larger.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candi View Post
    Oh my! I've never done a scrappy, and that string piecing is really going to put me out of my comfort zone, lol, but I am up for the challenge...I hope.
    They are easy to make, but I have to admit that I always do them all at once rather than two at a time. Works for me, but Bonnie doesn't like doing it that way. Can't wait to see your colors...
    Sadiemae

OK!! I finished part one on Wednesday and of course had to take Thanksgiving off to do lots of cooking, but after shopping last night and the kids making me get up 3 hours after having fallen asleep, I think I am going to just relax today lol. I will take pictures of part one that is in a shoebox size tote later today to post on the picture thread. I hope I can do the strings without too much stressing... my mom says I'm just too OCD on trying to match everything lol. I'm hoping that this mystery quilt will help me treat this issue to some point. Only time will tell though I guess hee hee
    Brooke

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
    OK!! I finished part one on Wednesday and of course had to take Thanksgiving off to do lots of cooking, but after shopping last night and the kids making me get up 3 hours after having fallen asleep, I think I am going to just relax today lol. I will take pictures of part one that is in a shoebox size tote later today to post on the picture thread. I hope I can do the strings without too much stressing... my mom says I'm just too OCD on trying to match everything lol. I'm hoping that this mystery quilt will help me treat this issue to some point. Only time will tell though I guess hee hee
    Put the pieces you are going to use for the strings in a bag and pull two out and sew them together. Then pull another out without look at it and sew it together. You'll be amazed at how well this works when you usually stress over getting a certain piece next to a certain piece. Just give yourself permission to add whatever comes out of the bag no matter what it is. I did this with Christmas placemat that I made and it works great. Takes all the pressure off of trying to match things up.
    JudyG

Brooke, I have the same issue, lol.
    Judy, thanks for the advice, I will try to try that
    Candi
    My etsy Store:

Blog Entries
    Hubby is slacking on the ironing dept!! He needs to get on those little squares so I know how many I still have to make!! I've got all my paper squares cut for Clue #2. I cut them 4 inches and will trim them down to the 3.5 when they are done. I've decided I'm going to do 10 at a time and work on another project inbetween in order to save my sanity. Repitition makes me crazy!! (crazier!)

I agree with Judy too, grab and go!

Blog Entries
    I try to do the grab and go, but I often find myself cheating. lol
    Sadiemae

QM
    Sounds like fun.

Blog Entries
    I have about 20 done on part one. Just bought the ruler at Joanne's last night for 50% off. Yeah only $3.49 so I bo ught some more fabric. Do all the squares have 4 different QST or 2 and 2 . I cut out some strips last night at 1 1/2 but when I sewed them they came out 2 1/ 4 . I checked my 1/4 inch and it is fine so what do I do now? Help Help Help!
    Carolyn
    http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/islandwiz1/Boom%206%20Autumn%20Group/

I have about 1/3 done. I have found that I cut them to size AFTER I tear off the paper. It seems to make them more accurate. They are going pretty quick.
    Absolutely nothing accomplished.
    The perfect day for a panda...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandwiz1 View Post
    I have about 20 done on part one. Just bought the ruler at Joanne's last night for 50% off. Yeah only $3.49 so I bo ught some more fabric. Do all the squares have 4 different QST or 2 and 2 . I cut out some strips last night at 1 1/2 but when I sewed them they came out 2 1/ 4 . I checked my 1/4 inch and it is fine so what do I do now? Help Help Help!
    I would try a scant 1/4" inch and see what they measure. If you are pressing to the darker, you could try pressing them open.
    I tried to make mine so all 4 qst were different, but it is a personal preference.
    Sadiemae

I am almost half way done with Step 1, posted a pic on the other thread.
    But I have some thoughts on Step 2. I did RRCB last year and did all those string blocks. I didn't particularly like them- not doing them or the look when they were finished. Just my personal opinion. And so now I see string blocks again and am tempted to skip this step and just cut 3.5 inch blocks of lots of different greens(my chosen color for this step). I do have lots of green scraps, but they are not strips so will have to do a fair amount of cutting strips too. It IS my quilt and I know it is my choice as to how I complete this. But I am seeing several say how cute these are and so much easier to do since they are small. I may try a few and see how they look before I make a decision......just wanted to get that off of my chest. Feel like I am the only one who doesn't like string blocks.

Carolyn, I am by no means an expert and have never used that ruler. But maybe double check to make sure that you are cutting the strips accurately, or something I'd do, make sure you are using the ruler correctly, I tend to not use fancy rulers lol because I can never line them up correctly, ok personal deficit here, but maybe double check that you are lining your strips with the correct line on the ruler. Hope you get it figured out.

vb. I am not sure I like the string blocks look either...I have never done a scrappy quilt before and not sure about that step. I did a string block type before but with all strips the same size and not randomly picked, so I can see I might struggle with that step. But I haven't even started with clue one yet as I am on the road heading home, and figure by the time I get those finished I may know the destiny of these string blocks and maybe change them to my taste or else see that I like them and go ahead with them. Maybe make a couple and see if you like them this time around? Or I like your idea of just squares or skip this week until you find the destiny of these string blocks and just make up your own thing?
    Candi
    My etsy Store:

Hi everyone, such a nice group working together on this mystery. I have done all of Bonnie's mystery quilts and blushing with shame, have only finished one (Double Delight). I should not be doing this but her quilts are so much fun and I love the challenge she puts in them, soooo, I think I will start mine tomorrow. I was at a Craft Show today and I need to put my sewing room in order. Maybe this group will inspire me to get the others finished.

I am going to make mine 3/4s of her size or I will make 3/4s of whatever units she makes. I don't do big quilts any more and often a scrap quilt will get donated to our Cancer Office to share with a cancer patient. Boy some of you are real power sewers, you will see me in the back quarter most of the time but I do eventually get there.

Well I am off for some diner and R&R. It is nice to see so many here.
    Jeane
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast