Pony Club Thread 3

Old 03-19-2021, 06:29 PM

Thanks Ya'll. He was 15. I am glad that Turtle was happy w/me the last few months. He thought I was sleeping on the couch to be w/him. (I have been sleeping on the couch since the first of Jan to keep my asthma & vertigo at bay.)
Old 03-22-2021, 03:26 PM

Well my friends - I think I am in over my head, despite my 42 years of quilting!!! I am so frustrated with my Farmer's Wife Medallion Quilt. See the 1st photo of my display wall with the five I have worked on this month.. Several of these blocks are the hardest I have ever done, and one I have given up on entirely (notice the plastic bag on the display wall - it is called Inspiration Patch (2nd photo)). The one I am working on today is called Housewife’s Dream (3rd photo).

If you have any hints on how to help me put these blocks together, I would be so grateful!
Attached Thumbnails img-0652.jpg   img-0654.jpg   img-0653-2.jpg  

Last edited by JeanieG; 03-22-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:39 PM
Power Poster

Hi Jeanie,
Well, I think you have gotten into a lot of Y seam sewing. These blocks have to be sewn with incomplete seams that you finish later. Just stop all stitching 1/4" from the edge, and the pieces should go together more easily.

When the diagrams show the parts in exploded format, they are telling you to put together the pieces in each sub-part first, then assemble all. That was a mouthful, but in the blue and white block you are being shown to make the block in 4 pieces before joining into a block. And then within each of the 4 parts there are 3 parts to make first: The 2-piece corners and then the central spindle... which even that is divided into 3 sections. Don't jump ahead, but follow the parts in each exploded section and remember to leave that last 1/4" unsewn, of any seams that will be partially sewn and finished later (Y seaming). Hope that makes sense. It's 1:30am and I'm in Night Owl mode, so I may not be explaining things the best way.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:29 PM

I agree, it just looks like sewing the pieces that are shown together, then joining the last pieces with Y-seams... There sure have been some unusual patterns in that Medallion quilt. I like the colors you used Jeanie. Your top looks nice as it is, quite big without going further.

Sorry to hear about your cat, Bev. I had a special cat that lived 17 years and slept with me at night. Pets are so special... Those of us with pets know that.

I've been working overtime for weeks, months really. It's getting me down. I haven't done much sewing lately. I have a commitment to doing the Old School BOM, so you will see me post there monthly anyway. :-) I finally got my sister to join QB. She is 'Duckling' and is doing the OSBOM. We've only done three 12" blocks so far, so if you want to do it too, please come join us! You'd have two weeks to make the first three blocks before the fourth block is posted mid-April. Easily done. They are simple blocks. The thread is in the Challenges Forum.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:32 PM

I really like to do these BOW/BOM blocks! I find I am more in tune to my quilting if I have to get into the sewing room to do my 2 a week. If I was not doing the Medallion Quilt, I would join you givio! It usually does not take me too long to accomplish the 2 (8" blocks now)! I find I will pick up unfinished projects once I am there. I have a quilting project going almost all the time, as I have so many flimsies to quilt.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:17 PM

Jeanie, Any tips for quilting bed size quilts? You use a regular home machine for that, don't you? My shoulders and back ache when I try it. My harp is so small, I just struggle with the bulk. I did the middle third of a wedding present quilt about 5 years ago, and now I'm just picking the stitches out because I doubted I would finish it. I guess I'll bring it to LA after the picking is done...

QNS, where are you?
Old 04-10-2021, 08:18 AM

I am back!!! I have been trying to log on for months!! Wow. I finally got logged in and will keep the new password handy!. I have missed all of you. Hello, hello, and hel-lo! I am still alive and kicking! I cleaned my QR a bit and may get into it to sew on Homespun again, but it sounds like problems ahead....I cannot believe Jeannie is struck, and I will be out of luck for sure. Of course I remember we can substitute, or adjust to our own ways for each block.

Hope everyone is OK and doing fine. Spring is here, but still wearing long johns every other day. Have high hopes and plants ordered and seeds too. Have a new dehydrator. Gearing up to do spring cleaning, too...when I run out of free books to read on my Kindle Fire...old one daughter sent to me and the new one I got for Christmas....just downloaded another 14 books. Finally learned how to delete off of the Kindle and went too far! Ha. Now to gear up to the 200 mark or more again.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:11 AM

Givio - I don't remember who on this thread told me about her process for quilting large quilts on her domestic machine. My machine is a Brother 1500S. It only has a 9" harp. You lay out your quilt to sandwich it as usual. Then you cut off JUST THE BATTING on each side of the sandwich in about 3rds. I label both sides of the batting with a marker (RT (right top), LT (left top), so when I reattach the batting it will line up nicely. I then attach the middle section of the quilt in however method you prefer, pins, spray, etc. I use Elmer's School Glue, diluted somewhat. I squiggle it on the middle in around 6" sections and brush it with a 3" cheap paintbrush, then smooth it down. I put the glue on the batting. I found if I roll the pieced top on two pool noodles, attached with a dowel in the middle of the two pool noodles, I can just unroll it over the gluey batting a little at a time. I let that dry a little before turning it over and doing the same with the backing. When quilting, leave enough empty on the sides to reattach the batting. I reattach one side as above by ironing a 1 1/2" piece of fusible interfacing on the two pieces (or you can whip by hand), quilt that side, then do the same with the other side. I hope this makes sense.

QNS - so glad you are finally back on the Board, we have missed you. I also love my Kindle for reading! I use Book Bub for their free books. Keeps me very entertained when I am not working on my quilting.

I have put one block aside, it is #57 Inspiration!!! Good name, I just hung it in a baggie on my display wall in line with my completed blocks (lol). I tried and tried and have given up on it for now. All the other blocks I have completed. There are numerous ones with 40 or more pieces! Some are quite complicated and take a while to complete. I am a little behind this week, I have one block from last week to finish up, then my two for this week. These blocks are much more complicated than her other three quilts I have completed!

The thing for the blocks not completed with the others (#57) is that you need to replace the missing one with something, as you attach them to the next round of the quilt as you go along. At least the quilt will all be completed when the final blocks are done and attached. Round and round we go!

Last edited by JeanieG; 04-10-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:08 AM

I'm so glad that ya figured out how to get back on QNS!! Ya have been missed for sure.
Spring is in full force here in TX. We planted our garden yesterday & the day before. We have raised beds this year. I am so excited.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:39 AM

Bev, raised beds are so nice! Strawberries are easier to pick! At our age we are cutting back on our 'gardening' and doing more with flower beds, mainly perennials of Asiatic lilies and Tiger lilies, Irises, and roses from Heirloom Roses (Hardy ones). Some annuals, like Zinnias (got dh 440 seeds from Jung) of different verities. Will take fall pictures of it.

Daughter is getting a new puppy, a Great White Pyrenees, born on Valentine's Day...so his name is Mr. Valentine. I am looking forward to pictures. We also talked about Whole 30 diets this morning. No dairy and no sugar, not sure about it.