Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

jolo 04-04-2010 04:18 PM

Happy Easter everyone. Jolo

Janstar 04-04-2010 06:47 PM

Happy Easter to you too Lace! I got two tris finished today, LS 2 and LS 3. Really easy ones! Now I'll work on the blocks that go with them!! Very productive day!

sandpat 04-05-2010 04:45 AM

Wow...leave it to you Jan to start weeks with the tris...I know I do them last every week!:lol: :lol:

retrogirl02 04-05-2010 06:06 AM

HAPPY MONDAY!! I'm SO glad we're off this week. Am I the only one really ready for it????

sarahelloyd 04-05-2010 07:19 AM

No, I am enjoying watching CSI trilogy this afternoon, we taped it a while back but have been too busy to watch. It is lovely not to feel driven to get on!

retrogirl02 04-05-2010 07:24 AM

I'm with you. I need to unwind this week and clean out the mess I've managed to make in the sewing room the past couple of weeks!!

Lacelady 04-05-2010 01:40 PM

I have been pondering the quilting problem with this quilt, the past few days. And I think I may have come up with a solution that might work for me. I have done several quilt as you go quilts which have been quite successful, so I was wondering if I could go down that route. The drawback for me was all the hand sewing and little squares on the back - it's OK for 12 blocks, but these little guys? So what do you all think about this.

Supposing I hand quilt each block with it's top and the warm and natural only. (no backing). Then assemble, then back with possibly a wide backing (I like the idea of no more seams) and finally quilt in the ditch. Would that work? The attraction for me would be that it would be hand quilted, and given the age of the design, I really wanted that, plus I could turn each block in the hand every which way to quilt it, which isn't easy in a hoop (that I don't have) or on a quilt stand (that I also don't have). Finally, I could do the hand quilting in front of the TV during the evenings when I am too tired to sit at a machine. I reckon I could get at least three done per evening.

Any comments?

Janstar 04-05-2010 02:06 PM

I like your plan Lace! It's something to ponder. Sure would cut down on the bulkiness while you're quilting it. I'm with you on wanting to hand quilt it so it will be close to the original one.

sarahelloyd 04-05-2010 02:39 PM

I'd go along with that, I thought I might assemble the top into 1/4th or 1/6th and then quilt onto the backing, and then join the panels together.

I know I can't manage the whole size quilt in one piece.

Lacelady 04-05-2010 02:47 PM

That's good, two reasonably positive responses, so I'm not off the wall with the idea then. The only downside I can think off is that not all the quilting will show on the back, only the quilt in the ditch, so it won't look so traditional from that point of view. I think I might mock up one or two squares and try the idea. I have been counting up tonight, I only have 68 blocks left to do, BUT I still don't have one complete row done, in either direction.