Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   1 January 2010 Block of the Month, for January!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/1-january-2010-block-month-january-t32824.html)

SulaBug 01-06-2010 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
This January block is fun! I spent all afternoon on Monday playing with the colors in my bin of scraps. This BOM quilt will be made from my scraps. I still can't believe it took me all afternoon to do one block but I did cut and sew different colors to come up with this one. So I have other little pieces now for other little things. Here is my January block.

Adrianlee,
Your block is also pretty!! :D I am so tickeled with every block that I have seen so far. You have done a great job on yours. My, won't we all have the prettiest quilts at the end of the year?
:D :D :D :D

A1penny 01-07-2010 07:39 AM

Hi SulaBug and all BOM quilters,
I am currently doing a 6" two blocks a month, quilt with my quilt guild. I love this Sunflower BOM, so, i am going to draft the pattern in a 6" pattern and try to do it to add to my other blocks. Love the one Addrianlee did also!

grammatjr 01-07-2010 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Margie
I love this block, wish it could be paper pieced and I would make it.

Margie

I know this thread has broken off into several others, so if this has been answered, please forgive the repeat.

I am fairly new to paper piecing, I think it would be great to have a paper peiced pattern for this beautufl block. This looks like a simple block to adapt for that. There are just 3 types of squares for each block.

Using my graphic below, couldn't we print the pattern, and use it as a template to create the paper pieced pattern? Of course, following all the usual paper pieced instructions about allowing extra for seam allowance, etc.

I labeled the 3 squares as A, B and C. Then each square I broke into parts, labeled by number in order of attaching.

Sew #1 to #2, sew this set to #3. Set aside for now.
Sew #4 to #5, sew this to the 1,2,3 set.
One square done - make 4.

Sew #6 to #7, sew this set to #8. Make 4.

Cut one center square.

Then, sew rows as picture indicates, sew rows together.

Would this work? Those more experience can correct me. Or verify this would play out right.

Good luck to all. I will bookmark this but have such tight deadlines this year, can't even think of doing this now...
:( :cry: :x :-(

paper piced pattern?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63862[/ATTACH]

omak 01-07-2010 10:01 AM

Of course! It can be paper pieced.
Your directions are very well done ... good for you!
As you noted, there are any number of ways to achieve the look you want.
Your pictures and input has probably encouraged a bunch of other quilters who are following this thread and on this Board. Good for you! <wave>

Dani 01-07-2010 10:31 AM

Are there pictures of this block that other people have done besides on this thread that are available to see? I looked around but couldn't find any...but it sounds like other people have seen other blocks done????????

I have my block cut out and will put it together today and I will try to post it here when finished. Dani

SulaBug 01-07-2010 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dani
Are there pictures of this block that other people have done besides on this thread that are available to see? I looked around but couldn't find any...but it sounds like other people have seen other blocks done????????

I have my block cut out and will put it together today and I will try to post it here when finished. Dani

Dani,
Yes there is another thread, with the same name, only it states pictures. You will see a lot more blocks on the picture thread. We are all looking forward to seeing your block when it's done.
:D :D :D :D

YoPat 01-07-2010 08:40 PM

Do you have "It Came On A Midnight Clear"

Bailey's mom 01-08-2010 10:48 AM

Hi Cheryl,
I am new to this site and I am going to do a block of the month right along with you!
I love the sunflower block and am going to get started on it tonight! Thank you for the inspiration!
Yours is lovely!!!

Sewze 01-08-2010 11:31 AM

Hi Cheryl- I'm new to this website, new to quilting (self taught,) and new to a BOM; but, I'm dying to dive into my stash of fabrics and see what I can come up with to make the juices flow. Thanks for what seems to be an easy pattern. Sewze

SulaBug 01-08-2010 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bailey's mom
Hi Cheryl,
I am new to this site and I am going to do a block of the month right along with you!
I love the sunflower block and am going to get started on it tonight! Thank you for the inspiration!
Yours is lovely!!!

We are so happy to have you join us in the 2010 BOM!! :D I will be anxious to see how your block turns out. Do keep us posted!!
Cheryl
:D :D :D