Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart - Block 5 Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-block-5-photos-t120862.html)

lisamortell 05-06-2011 10:44 AM

That is wonderful!! I love it. Looking at you new block has inspired me.

sandpat 05-06-2011 04:06 PM

I got the Cholorx pen today..the one for grout!! When I get to this one, I'm gonna play too!

carolynbb 05-06-2011 04:10 PM

awesome. very creative.

Lacelady 05-07-2011 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I got the Cholorx pen today..the one for grout!! When I get to this one, I'm gonna play too!

Good for you - try it on a tiny corner of your intended fabric first, to see how long you need to leave it on - in my case it was only seconds. I tried to do all four at once, and by the time I had done the fourth, the first was unusable because it had spread too much.

Also, some batiks work better than others, so if your first choice doesn't produce nice results, don't give up, try another one. Best of luck.

sandpat 05-07-2011 04:53 AM

Right...it seems like timing is the key on playing with the bleach. I'll probably try several different things. I also bought a set of markers and some fabric paint, so I'm good to do some experimenting :D:

Lacelady 05-07-2011 03:39 PM

Right...it seems like timing is the key on playing with the bleach. I'll probably try several different things. I also bought a set of markers and some fabric paint, so I'm good to do some experimenting :D:

Oooh, looking forward to seeing that Patti, it would be nice if it wasn't just me.

Mousie 05-09-2011 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady

Oooh, looking forward to seeing that Patti, it would be nice if it wasn't just me.

not that brave, Lace, but yours is awesome! Do you think putting the hydrogen peroxide on after the bleach makes any toxic fumes?
Maybe not enough to hurt after dunking in the water.
So much room for creativity with this technique! yum!

Matilda 05-09-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I had fun with a bleach pen with this one - it worked very quickly, so I advise doing one at a time so you can wash the bleach off the moment you want it to stop working. I found out by googling that you can reverse the possible damage by bleach (long term) by treating with Hydrogen Peroxide.

Anyway, I thought the bleaching looked a bit fuzzy, so I then added in some green permanent marker for a bit more fun

WOW that is really neat! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

ann clare 06-09-2011 02:08 PM

Great block. Clever use of bleach pen. I would never have thought of doing that.

lisamortell 06-10-2011 06:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have been looking forward to doing this block because I knew it would accommodate my little ships. It’s a very simple block but I really like it.