Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   BLOCK OF THE MONTH - APRIL 2007 - Frolic Variation and/or Arrowheads - Directions & Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/block-month-april-2007-frolic-variation-arrowheads-directions-discussion-t876.html)

patricej 04-01-2007 12:13 AM

BOM members are not obligated to choose more than one block for us when it's their turn. I did because I wanted to accomodate both those who may be making one of their very first pieced blocks, and those who have asked for a bit more of a challenge.

Members are free to choose between blocks, to make both blocks, or to wonder what I was smokin' when I was searchin' and skip both blocks altogether. (If you prefer to skip, I invite you to let me know your reason(s) by PM. In a few years it'll be my turn again, so suggestions are welcome.)

Both are public domain blocks from McCalls Quilting. There are no restrictions on use that i could find.

FROLIC VARIATION - Rated by McCalls as a Beginner block. I'm particularly fond of this block because even though a beginner can make it in a day, it'll make you look like an expert when you do. What a deal!
http://mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_300/

ARROWHEADS - Rated by McCalls as an Advanced Begginner block. I just think it's kewl. Much easier than it looks. You will feel like a pro when you see yours laying finished in front of you.
http://mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_903/

There are almost always several different ways to construct the same block. There are at least four ways to approach each block. At the website, you'll find instructions for rotary cutting strips of fabric, cutting them into the proper pieces, then putting them together in a particular order. The files I've attached offer the additional methods of paper piecing and templates for a slight variation of each block. They also include a few suggestions of ways to challenge yourself using the blocks. It was my personal choice to add these files. Members are not obligated to do the same when their turn comes around. Members are not obligated to use them. They are my gift to all of you.

P.S. "Members" doesn't mean only people who've formally asked to be on the list. Being on the list just means you will eventually have a turn to pick the block. A "Member" is anybody cruising the board who wants to drop by, to make the blocks, to join the discussion, or any combination of those choices.

Don't forget to HAVE FUN!!!!!
:mrgreen:

imaquilter 04-01-2007 05:20 AM

Thanks for posting our block so early Patrice! I can't wait to get started on BOTH of my blocks! I love them both so much that I couldn't just make one.

patricej 04-01-2007 05:33 AM

thank you, thank you, thank you. that makes me feel soooooooo good.
:-)

Marcella 04-01-2007 05:38 AM

Patrice, the variations knock my socks off! I'm inspired all over again. ... and now my feet are getting cold! :-)

Sockless in Seattle

mimisharon 04-01-2007 05:48 AM

THANK YOU, Patrice!! I'm scared, they look so complicated, but I'm going to give them both a shot. THAT should keep me busy for the rest of the month, see you in May!

lol lol lol
Sharon

patricej 04-01-2007 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Marcella
Patrice, the variations knock my socks off! I'm inspired all over again. ... and now my feet are getting cold! :-)

Sockless in Seattle

i can see you are an applique expert. i'd like to see what you could create using the templates instead of regular piecing. if that strikes you as something you'd like to try.

patricej 04-01-2007 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by mimisharon
THANK YOU, Patrice!! I'm scared, they look so complicated, but I'm going to give them both a shot. THAT should keep me busy for the rest of the month, see you in May!

lol lol lol
Sharon

take a look at all the different methods you can use, then start with the one that "feels" the most "like you". you won't believe how much easier they are than they look. just squash that scaredy bug first.

Yvonne 04-01-2007 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by mimisharon

lol lol lol
Sharon

Looks are deceiving! That little frolic block went together real easy. The arrowheads were a bit more of a challenge but only when you got to the final assembling. Iron the pieces and pin, pin, pin. My recommendations! :lol: Patrice obviously has ownership in a pin company!!!

patricej 04-01-2007 07:00 AM

nail guns. better safe than sorry. just makes it harder to sit on my quilts

Country Quilter 04-01-2007 09:06 AM

Patrice...your block looks lovely!!! I have the patterns printed out... won't get to it til after Easter tho....its cleaning week for me! I host Easter dinner here and because I do my sewing in my dining room its a must for me to stop and clean up at least a week ahead of time!! Can't wait to start on them tho! I plan to do the arrowhead and the frolic blocks.