Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Dear Jane Cyber Block Party E12, G9, H5, & BR11 Pics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/dear-jane-cyber-block-party-e12-g9-h5-br11-pics-t33350.html)

BlueChicken 01-17-2010 08:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm posting just my triangle so far, because honestly, this one has been a nightmare. I don't know if I can face making another for my second set! :-(

Never mind the 6 week blunder award, I'm going for the blunder of the year....

Started off I couldn't get my pieces lined up properly, I really struggle with odd angles.
So I gave up and cut a HUGE piece, whacked it down, sewed down the line, and STILL had it wrong! PMSL

The fabric is supposed to COVER the paper.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48164[/ATTACH]

And even with a huge piece I can't line it up properly!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48166[/ATTACH]

BlueChicken 01-17-2010 08:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I finally get all the sections made, and do you think I can get them lined up properly?

Noooooo..... first they're too far one direction, unpick, adjust, resew.... now they're too far in the other direction! *sob*

First one way...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48167[/ATTACH]

Then the other...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48168[/ATTACH]

BlueChicken 01-17-2010 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And finally I jam pins through where it's supposed to meet up, whack the whole lot together, sew through the paper an all (admittedly on the largest stitch length my machine would do, just in case, for easy unpicking!) and finally I have a completed triangle.

I really wanted to poke pins into an effigy of the quilting god!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48169[/ATTACH]

Done!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48170[/ATTACH]

kluedesigns 01-17-2010 08:25 PM

cher

your blocks look amazing.

kluedesigns 01-17-2010 08:27 PM

blue

i find that with blocks/triangles like this the best thing to do is leave the paper on when attaching the units.

the pattern is perfect and if you trim everything correctly it will line up perfectly when you put the units together.

you can also spy how things will line up by looking at the stitch lines on each unit and how they relate to each other.

BlueChicken 01-17-2010 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
blue

i find that with blocks/triangles like this the best thing to do is leave the paper on when attaching the units.

the pattern is perfect and if you trim everything correctly it will line up perfectly when you put the units together.

you can also spy how things will line up by looking at the stitch lines on each unit and how they relate to each other.

I've never had as much trouble as I did with this one.

I cut the little tiny angles off like the paper pattern said, but they still didn't line up properly.

BlueChicken 01-17-2010 08:39 PM

I think leaving the paper on was definitely the right thing to do!

Esqmommy 01-17-2010 08:44 PM

You did well BC...it's going to go like this at various times for all of us...thanks for being so explanatory about your difficulties...you undoubtedly will help several of your cyber-mates with their blocks!!

BlueChicken 01-17-2010 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
You did well BC...it's going to go like this at various times for all of us...thanks for being so explanatory about your difficulties...you undoubtedly will help several of your cyber-mates with their blocks!!

That's what I thought.... I know I'm not the only one who struggled.

I definitely learned from it though, which is a good thing. And took photos and posted so hopefully anyone else having the same problems won't get so stuck.

Esqmommy 01-17-2010 08:50 PM

No, you are not alone. I did the long stitch too and had to undo it. But it came out in the end. Just like yours!!