Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-block-party-january-2012-a-t162737.html)

sewNso 12-18-2011 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 4786696)
sewNso, in what way did the poster help?

i hadn't and haven't learned all the in's and out's of the softeware, so the poster realllly helped me with the color's.
helped me line up the diagonal rows better, and i seemed to get better grasp on the kinds of fabric jane had used.
i took some really good pic's of the orginal jane, when i went to vt. and it's on flicker. i was amazed how nice the 1863 quilt looked. it had not faded at all. if they had of oxi cleaned a couple spots on it, it still would have looked brand new.
flicker feed user is under sewNso1. be sure and use the #1 after the name.

15 yds of background material is wayyyy too much.AND a 6" sq is good for each square, but then you don't have any matching color left over for a triangle. i liked the 10" squares. then had enough for tri's also.

i may join you all and make another one.

sandpat 12-18-2011 07:14 AM

The quilt took way more yardage than I thought it would. There is lots of waste with PP'ing and I always made the outside edges larger (much easier to trim down than to redo the bloomin' block!). It makes a difference too if you are using the same fabric for your background, sashings, scallops, etc....that all adds up!

jacquie 12-18-2011 09:19 AM

i'm wondering what the size is for the sashing strips, when joining the blocks together...
are they 1 inch??

sandpat 12-18-2011 05:58 PM

No, they are 1/2" if I remember correctly.

dakotamaid 12-18-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat (Post 4791265)
The quilt took way more yardage than I thought it would. There is lots of waste with PP'ing and I always made the outside edges larger (much easier to trim down than to redo the bloomin' block!). It makes a difference too if you are using the same fabric for your background, sashings, scallops, etc....that all adds up!

I have 15 yards of kona snow that I 've put aside for DJ, if I don't use it all it can be used anywhere. I also ordered a royal blue batik, beautiful with a bit of a design, 8 yards. (on sale, no less!!!) I think I'm set. Thanks for all the input from you all.:)

I'm contemplating doing two of each block, one to practice in scraps, and than the blue and white. Hummmmmm..........................wonder what I'm getting into.

LOL, just opened my sisters Christmas package and there is a counted cross stitch DJ!! She thinks I'm nuts, might be the cross stitch would be easier.

sewNso 12-19-2011 01:00 AM

sanpat, i made notes on the back of my desk calender here. where YOU HAD TOLD ME before. the sashings are 1/2" finished. so you cut them l.5" to finish to 1/2". except the outside one just before the tri's. cut 3/4" to finish to 1/4". the only reason i got mine finished is because sandpat and several others jumped in whenever i had a questions.

Anael 12-19-2011 01:33 AM

When you want to finish 1/2 you have to cut them 1 inch as far as I know. Please correct me if I´m wrong!

jacquie 12-19-2011 03:30 AM

yes, i think you're right... that gives you 1/4" seam allowance, either side of the sashing strip

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 4793494)
When you want to finish 1/2 you have to cut them 1 inch as far as I know. Please correct me if I´m wrong!

jacquie 12-19-2011 03:34 AM

sewnso, 1.5" would make them too wide?
1" would be wide enough giving 1/4" seam allowance...
the tri's sashing info is helpful... thanks :thumbup:

Originally Posted by sewNso (Post 4793478)
sanpat, i made notes on the back of my desk calender here. where YOU HAD TOLD ME before. the sashings are 1/2" finished. so you cut them l.5" to finish to 1/2". except the outside one just before the tri's. cut 3/4" to finish to 1/4". the only reason i got mine finished is because sandpat and several others jumped in whenever i had a questions.

ozarkmama 12-19-2011 07:06 AM

3 a week may be a stretch with all my other projects but I, too, will try to keep up with you. I am excited and nervous at the same time about doing this quilt. My daughter has been working on hers for a couple of years, BOM from Stitchin Heaven in Texas and it is beautiful. I can see her piecing improving with each block she has done. She is in the last lap and I am planning on using her as a resource even though she lives in CA and I live in AR. Press forward!!