Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-block-party-january-2012-a-t162737.html)

echoemb 01-04-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 4831837)
My DJ software arrived and I have been playing. I am thinking of making the blocks 5" finished. This brings the quilt to 90.5 X 90.5 inches rather than the 84" by 84" size when the 4.5" block is used. Is anyone else increasing their quilt size? If so, how are you accomplishing that?

Also, I love that Chocolate DJ in the gallery of DJ's on this Quilt Board. I've heard comments that Kona solids are a bit of a thicker fabric that the regular quilting fabric. Does anyone have an a suggestion for a good solid fabric I could use for the chocolate areas? I don't have experience with buying solid fabrics.

Thanks all! I am looking forward to being with you in the coming year!

I"m doing the larger blocks. I made a test block at 4.5" and it made me nuts and I quilt for the enjoyment not for the frustration. I did another block at 6.5" and I liked that one much better so I am going to do that.

Jeanine 01-04-2012 08:00 AM

I think I may join you all. Not sure if I can keep up since I am already doing one BOM, and finishing last year's BOM, and hand quilting my mother's quilt. But I do want to do this. I plan on buying the book and fabric today. Thanks for starting this. I had considered buying the stuff and doing it on my own; but this will help me actually do it! Question: will the blocks be assigned each week or do we chose?
Jeanine

thomp116 01-04-2012 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanine (Post 4840988)
I think I may join you all. Not sure if I can keep up since I am already doing one BOM, and finishing last year's BOM, and hand quilting my mother's quilt. But I do want to do this. I plan on buying the book and fabric today. Thanks for starting this. I had considered buying the stuff and doing it on my own; but this will help me actually do it! Question: will the blocks be assigned each week or do we chose?
Jeanine

Jeanine - welcome! If you go to post #477, you will see the attachment for the schedule.

thomp116 01-04-2012 10:47 AM

Hooray! I've started! I have two practice and two 'real' blocks finished. I thought if I make a practice block out of scraps, I won't mess up the "real" one (too much, anyhow), and then I'll end up with two quilts by the time we are done.
We'll see how that works.
I was also thinking.......(too much time on my hands?), that at some point I will need more fabric. So, for every few blocks I do according to the schedule, I will drop down to the lower portion of the quilt and do a couple blocks. That way, if I run out of the original fabrics that I start with, there will be some showing up further down. I want to keep the blocks in the same order as Jane's.
Did that come out right?
I will post pictures when I get a few more done.

jacquie 01-04-2012 11:08 AM

thomp, thats a great idea!! i may do the same actually!! as i have lots of fq's i will keep some and use it further on down the top. thanks!!

Jeanine 01-04-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by thomp116 (Post 4841456)
Jeanine - welcome! If you go to post #477, you will see the attachment for the schedule.

Thanks! Guess I skimmed the first ones too fast. Now I just hope my stuff gets here quickly.

TymeToShine 01-04-2012 03:45 PM

I'm in! Hoping to get my software tomorrow. :-)

Cre8tvlwyr 01-04-2012 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome! Tyme - you are #110 to join!! 2Doods - this is actually page #35 for me - I thought the default on the board was set way to short so I reset mine to 20 posts per page. You can do this by going to Settings at the top right of any page and click on it. A column will appear to the left side and when you scroll down to "general settings" under my settings or my account [it may be both] your screen will show you lots of things you can change to make your pages more user friendly to your personal preferences. Just remember to "save changes" at the bottom right after you have done this. [number of posts per page is just one of the things you can adjust here] I will attach the schedule one more time to make that easier...

mim 01-04-2012 07:38 PM

After making a few blocks and thinking ahead -- where do I intend to use my DJ?? -- I have decided to make 5 1/5 inch blocks. fortunately, with the software, I can print out any size I want. I have no idea what size the triangles should be. Looking at the pictures, They meet in the middle of the sashing. But tonite, my mind is mush. I have plenty of muslin background as I buy it by the bolt. The blues are varied so I can add as I go along

Mim

NoraG 01-04-2012 08:47 PM

And sew it begins...

I started to play with software. Love it! And of course once i started to play-the thrill of a new project took over and well-the program sure made the first three blocks go fast.
3 done and only 222 to go.