Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/elisabrats-medallion-style-quilt-along-t236801.html)

SheriR 01-11-2014 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found my center. It's a piece my MotherInLaw did. I plan on using her stash to do all the borders. It will be for a sisterinlaw. It's not bright and colorful like all y'all's and I have NO clue which border to start with. Any suggestions will be appreciated. The picture measures 12". And I only need to make her a wall hanging size.

Carsey 01-11-2014 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR (Post 6507452)
I found my center. It's a piece my MotherInLaw did. I plan on using her stash to do all the borders. It will be for a sisterinlaw. It's not bright and colorful like all y'all's and I have NO clue which border to start with. Any suggestions will be appreciated. The picture measures 12". And I only need to make her a wall hanging size.

This looks like Candlewicking. VERY pretty.

SheriR 01-11-2014 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Carsey (Post 6507495)
This looks like Candlewicking. VERY pretty.

YES! She also made a leaf piece and some flowers. I'm surrounding the flower piece with Dresden Plates. Not sure about the leaf piece. And I have some she started that I can finish and use as centers for other family Grandma quilts I promised her I'd make.

jaba 01-11-2014 06:20 PM

SheriR maybe if the colors are there, (in mother in laws stash) use your sister in laws favs to do the wall hanging.

SheriR 01-11-2014 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jaba (Post 6507593)
SheriR maybe if the colors are there, (in mother in laws stash) use your sister in laws favs to do the wall hanging.

Her favorite is purple so I will pull those. I'm just not sure how/where to start. Should I put a solid border first or which pieced border to begin. I like the triangle ones. I'm just stuck.

jaba 01-11-2014 06:38 PM

I think if it were me, I'd put a small border around it first either in light or dark shades, actually maybe a lighter shade of purple because of it being light. Kind of to just draw attention to the candlewicking. Then go ahead with the triangles that you like and use maybe a little darker purples and even draw some of the lighter shade in there too. Think it would look nice from light, dark, light....kind of always bringing it back to her center and then bind with a color as close as you can get to the center to make the eye travel back to it. Might help if you pull the fabrics and just lay out pieces around the center for your color in rounds. I do that all the time and it helps me to decide most of the time. Even stand across the room and look at it too 'cause other people will.

m-fay 01-11-2014 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR (Post 6507452)

I reckon that ribbon one would look great

m-fay 01-11-2014 07:19 PM

jaba I finally got an hourglass one to finish up at 4 1/2" square..now I have a pile of hour glasses of varying sizes & colours. I think my problem was my seam widths...I did a lot of measuring them & marking my machine before I finally got it right. Thanks for your help...greatly appreciated.

MamaHen 01-11-2014 07:25 PM

Jenniky, beautiful round that is going to be. I'm with Emma in rethinking this whole design process, have gotten tired of all the BOM's with different blocks & then trying to put them together with a different interesting setting. Same ole same ole gets tiring. This is how we move forward in our quilting, trying new!

mom-6 01-11-2014 08:25 PM

That candle wick center is lovely. I like the idea of the ribbon border after a (couple?) narrow framing strip(s). Definitely do not want the borders to overwhelm that center!