Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Week 7 Discussion Page for Blocks 13 & 14 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/farmers-wife-quilt-along-week-7-discussion-page-blocks-13-14-a-t64779.html)

Honchey 09-14-2010 06:09 PM

Hi Guys, Let's Chat!

Suzanne57 09-14-2010 06:48 PM

Well, I sure had to rip and resew a lot on 13 Buckwheat. Not because of crooked seams or anything simple like that. No-- I wanted to have the straight of grain going in the right direction so outside edges were not biased. I drafted the block into Quilt Assistant and paper pieced it.

janRN 09-14-2010 06:56 PM

I had trouble with Buckwheat also (kept thinking of Spanky and Alfalfa). I couldn't grasp what direction to turn my triangles. I finally just spread them all out and followed the book (guess that's what I should have done all along).

mirabelle 09-15-2010 04:05 AM

I didn't have a problem with 13 just 14, I started them last week cause I knew this week was going to be a nightmare and it all starts tomorrow with my weekly patchwork meeting then I am away Friday, Saturday and Sunday at a quilting retreat.

My husband has just arrived home from work for a week and I am not going to be home. Oh well I filled the fridge and freezer with lots of food :-D He goes back to work next Wednesday...

I am trying to get ahead as I will be away for 3 weeks soon and don't want to fall behind. I am having fun making my blocks just not sure about my fabric choices. I find it really hard to work with dark fabrics.

rwquilts 09-15-2010 06:28 AM

Mirabelle, you win a prize, cuzz I have to say...block 13 was a bugger! Not hard, but I kept getting my colors in the wrong spots and the design got messed up...my seam ripper and I bonded quite a bit on that block...then on 14, it went okay, but I really didn't like my color choices, but since it was the right size, decided to keep it...after all mine are all scrappy...

QuiltingNinaSue 09-15-2010 01:15 PM

I found #13 & 14 to be a challange, so I paper pieced them...I ran off the templates from EQ7..for cutting out the pieces, then paper pieced them on to that page printed out from EQ7; I save on material and it usually goes together quite nicely and quickly. Chicken tracks here will appear again several times...

Love the instructions on rotary cutting and all the various colors used by the group and comments. Brings back memories of growing up on a farm in the mid-west. We had ponies, horses, dogs, sheep, cows, hogs, cats, and chickens. We have 21 chickens now, my dh feeds them, so when he goes out and hollers, "Chick, chick, chick" they all come at a run. But when I go out and holler the same thing, all I get is my 10 adopted cats.

pookie ookie 09-15-2010 01:58 PM

My eyes are buggin' so I'm a slacker this week. Love the Buckwheat but probably won't enjoy it that much. lulz

Glad so many others are on top things. Love the pix.

deranged_damsel 09-16-2010 06:48 AM

WHY can I never find the post??? untill a week after the fact??? am I doing something wrong? isnt it supposed to be in the virtual section with the rest?

Honchey 09-16-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
WHY can I never find the post??? untill a week after the fact??? am I doing something wrong? isnt it supposed to be in the virtual section with the rest?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out what post you're referring to?

Anne

wvdek 09-16-2010 07:45 AM

Well, homework done for the week, test/exams taken, and I am ready to start on these and 11 & 12. I don't like being a slacker.