Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   FW Medallion Quilt Along BOTW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fw-medallion-quilt-along-botw-t311407.html)

carriem 06-21-2020 05:20 PM

suern--I am glad you are going to try it out!!

givio--you make a good point about making blocks from the center out...since we will probably keep everything all in one thread, I can just call out 2 blocks a week and also announce the 2 for the following week for those who want to work ahead...

Does anyone think it would be too confusing to go out of order??

JeanieG 06-21-2020 09:03 PM

Yes, I thought of that also, like Bonnie Hunter's Unity Quilt. However, if we are doing this as a group, I think it will be easier to do the same blocks as most everyone else. We will see how many sign up, so far there are only a few interested. I know their is another weekly quilt along going right now in place of the gal that did the Train Rides.

That center paper piecing is really a large project. It will probably take more than a week to put it together. I have not done any paper piecing since our last FW project. It really is not my favorite way to do these blocks, but I think it would be best for the center.

QuiltingNinaSue 06-22-2020 10:41 AM

Thanks, Carrie. I will join in on looking and commenting on the beautiful work done on each square. I have high hopes of doing 400% more than reality....life goes on at a slower pace. (Use an inchworm to measure with , and you will see me move) My book has been shipped, so hoping to get it before July 8th, which is just around the corner from now! Wow, how time does fly the older I get. Yes, I have the reds and blues and maybe enough fabric for the background in my stash.

carriem 06-22-2020 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what we are going to do...

We will work on the center block through the month of July and start making the other blocks on Monday, August 3rd. This gives people time to get their books/fabric and make the center 18" block and flying geese.

On July 1st I will start a new thread with the first post having a schedule of blocks for each week...then we can refer back so we know what blocks we should be making. *I will also post each Monday with the block #s for the week in the same thread. We will start in the top left corner and work our way around to the right 2 blocks/week.

The schedule would look like this:

July 1st-Aug 2nd Block #93 (18" center) and Flying Geese

Aug 3rd-9th Block #117 & #112

Aug 10th-16th Block #92 & #70

Aug 17th-23rd Block #53 & #76....and so on until we get around

Then we will take a week for catch up and sewing the blocks together/around the center block for those who want to assemble as we go.

I got my FQ bundle today...KT Through the Years line. I am using a purple for my borders between rounds (where the original quilt is blue)...I ordered the yardage from somewhere else...

givio 06-22-2020 05:52 PM

Carrie, What a stack of fabric! :-) Do you think it will be enough? I seem to waste a lot when I paper piece, but conserve it when I use pattern pieces.

carriem 06-22-2020 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 8395700)
Carrie, What a stack of fabric! :-) Do you think it will be enough? I seem to waste a lot when I paper piece, but conserve it when I use pattern pieces.

givio--I hope so! It is 40 FQs. I also ordered some yardage of a few more creams and a couple of the purples. My local shop has some more KT...nice thing about KT fabrics is that all the lines will match, so if I need to pull in some more patterns I can.

sewbizgirl 06-22-2020 07:09 PM

Love that stack! Those colors are going to be beautiful.

carriem 06-23-2020 06:06 AM

SBG--thanks! I only have 3 finished quilts using Kansas Troubles fabrics, I figured nothing wrong with one more! https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/wink.png Also I have one BOTM started that was mailed to me each month...need to get that done one of these days too. My family calls KT fabrics "Carrie colors". :)

I would love to see some pictures of fabrics everyone is planning to use.

happylab 06-23-2020 01:20 PM

I received an e-mail telling me my book has been sent. Estimated arrival July 7th to 14th. I’m really hoping it will be here sooner. So I have time to select, wash and iron my fabric. I’ll post pics of fabric after I completely decided on my fabric.

I really like the new time line and looking forward to sewing along with everyone. Until I see the book and yardage, I’ll reframe from selecting my fabric. In the mean time I will finish my 100 block challenge. (I call my 45 day challenge, which s/b be a 15 day challenge). I’m 1/2 done. 12 blocks cut out and 3 blocks I have fabric ready to cut. This projected is worked from the outside to inside. It’s 60” by 60” with out borders. Of course I’m adding borders.

then I have a few minor Easy projects for guild to make and donate next meeting in July (hopefully).

aforristall 06-24-2020 02:03 PM

Hello,
I received my book today and ordered fabric so will hopefully be set as far as getting the materials to start. How will everyone assign colors for each block? The book has a colored diagram of each block with what looks similar To the actual color of the fabric used. I just don’t want to run out of certain colored fabric. Any suggestions?