Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 39 Block 77 Nellie & Block 78 Old Maid (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-30s-quiltalong-week-39-block-77-nellie-block-78-old-maid-t279137.html)

Honchey 05-31-2016 06:28 AM

The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 39 Block 77 Nellie & Block 78 Old Maid

Hi Everyone, Hope all of you had a good Holiday Weekend and now it's time to get the ball rolling again..Ummm, I seem to have lost my ball:) DH & I watched Band of Brothers...All Day & night!!!!

Anyone have these blocks done ? Lets have a "lets see them"..

QuiltingNinaSue 05-31-2016 07:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
right on, Honchey![ATTACH=CONFIG]551278[/ATTACH]Nellie was always going in a fast circle in confusion or causing you too...use sun glasses to view this 'cause she was a bright lady!

Old Maid was begging the minister who held her hand on her death bed, saying, "Please do not put "Miss" on my tombstone, 'cause I have not missed much in this life!"[ATTACH=CONFIG]551279[/ATTACH]Background reflexes her blushing pink...here it doesn't look too pink. Oh, well, the block background is pink.

sewbizgirl 05-31-2016 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
QNS, you are too clever. Love your blocks and their stories...esp. Old Maid's!

Here is my Old Maid:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551282[/ATTACH]

Honchey 05-31-2016 09:00 AM

My, my, Such pretties so far...Nina, you always have great stories!

janRN 05-31-2016 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought yinz had posted different blocks--the fabrics change the appearance of the finished block so much. All are so pretty. Keep the stories coming, QNS, love them.[ATTACH=CONFIG]551293[/ATTACH]

sewbizgirl 05-31-2016 03:04 PM

Gorgeous batiks Jan! I am going to get my Nellie done soon so I can get her posted tonight!

JuneBillie 05-31-2016 03:35 PM

QNS your blocks are so pretty, and I just love your stories along with them. I like those swirls in the first block, and those two colors look pretty together.

Sewbizgirl your block is so pretty. The pretty pieces against the back ground fabric almost makes it look like lace.

JanRN your blocks are so pretty, and always look so neat. Someday I would like to start a quilt using all batiks. They are pretty. Do you wash a quilt made from all batiks differently?

I will be in a constant behind state now, but I am not out of this. I am just slow due to taking day by day. I am actually working on the last block of last week. :)

sewbizgirl 05-31-2016 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't worry Susan, I'm in a constant behind state too! I started so late that I can't catch up until the very end of this, if I keep pushing myself to do about 4 extra blocks per week.

So, here's Nellie!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551307[/ATTACH]

These 'carrot top' colors wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'm still trying to stick to the book examples if I can. These colors do present a strong contrast.

janRN 06-01-2016 04:28 AM

Thanks ladies. About a third of the way thru I wished I hadn't used batiks but I have so many from other projects that I wanted to use up. I wash my batik items in cold water with a couple of Color Catchers, same as I wash all my quilted items (honestly, I don't wash them too often).

SBG, I like the orange but it's a color I rarely use. When we started the first FWS I never used yellow-hate yellow. With encouragement from the group I added yellow and now use it all the time. Maybe after seeing the examples of orange here I'll become more comfortable with it. That's why I like these sew-alongs: I always learn something new from the other sewers.

katybob 06-01-2016 04:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used "carrot top" orange this week, too. The 2 or 3 blocks I've used it in will really stand out in the final quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]551340[/ATTACH]