Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along "SPRING BREAK" Discussion Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-spring-break-discussion-week-t184848.html)

Honchey 04-02-2012 06:14 PM

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along "SPRING BREAK" Discussion Week

Sorry about posting a day early...I just read that QB will be working on the website tomorrow and I wanted to make sure that this got posted...

I have more or less disappeared into my sewing room for the past 4 days. I have printed, cut, and pinned 6 blocks so far and have partially sewn them...I have finally figured out how to do the y seams very easy...took me awhile and it does take a few more steps to do it but they come out beautiful....Clover Leaf is almost finished...2 seams to complete. Where's the Chuck Wagon????? I'm Hungry!!!!!!

QuiltingNinaSue 04-03-2012 03:22 AM

Step right up, Honchey, into our virtual RV that all quilters would love...its designed for them...comfortable areas with plenty of light, expanded out area for dining in or out on the patio, menu is available 24/7. Beautiful gardens out back to stroll in and lots of shade there too with benches. Upstairs is the sleeping area, with each suite an area for your own bed...and private bath area. Weather is guaranteed to be in the 70s, with a pool and spa on site.

Fishing trips and hiking are there for spouses, so they are happy too and will let us sew and shop in the 12 area quilt shops. Transportation is available on call and has a driver to take groups or singles wherever they want to go.

Experts available for LA and sewing machines of your choice.

Have I forgotten anything you what to add???? Entertainment, games, shows....computers??

Termi 04-03-2012 04:04 AM

Honchey, when you get a chance, I'd love to know your method for doing Y seams where they come out good. Thanks!

gardnergal970 04-03-2012 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 5112474)
Step right up, Honchey, into our virtual RV that all quilters would love...its designed for them...comfortable areas with plenty of light, expanded out area for dining in or out on the patio, menu is available 24/7. Beautiful gardens out back to stroll in and lots of shade there too with benches. Upstairs is the sleeping area, with each suite an area for your own bed...and private bath area. Weather is guaranteed to be in the 70s, with a pool and spa on site.

Fishing trips and hiking are there for spouses, so they are happy too and will let us sew and shop in the 12 area quilt shops. Transportation is available on call and has a driver to take groups or singles wherever they want to go.

Experts available for LA and sewing machines of your choice.

Have I forgotten anything you what to add???? Entertainment, games, shows....computers??

You can plan my vacations anytime. What a set up!

Honchey 04-03-2012 06:57 AM

Hi, I am currently in North Carolina and internet service is spotty, I will try to send some photos to help explain better.

Doe & Darts is the block I finally got it right. Most of the pieces are individual so keep pins in each so the paper doesn't fall off when handling them.
1. sew T C2 to C1 from the bottom point to the inverted point just to the sewing line...do NOT sew into the seam allowance or past the sewing line. with the needle down at the line turn the piece around then sew several stitches, clip the threads....leave the pins in each section

2.Perforate the paper along the seam so that you can lift the folded over seam "out" . ..finger press the seam open...now slip the paper under the side of the seam butting it up against the threads so that the seam is on top of the paper and laying open & flat over it. this is very important because the paper has to line up with the paper on the other side of the seam for when you add the triangle.

3.Take a pin and stick it thru the bottom point of the triangle piece...Now...hold the joined piece in your left hand...with your fingers holding the seam flat over to the opposite side that you're sewing ...take the triangle with the pin. right sides facing stick the pin thru to the point of the joined piece. This has to be precise...
4. Looking at the triangle stick another pin in the top right point of the triangle...bring it over to the top left point of the joined piece..stick the pin thru to the point on the other side..line up the Longest side of the triangle with the joined piece...sticking a pin thru to make sure the lines are aligned.. do the same with the seam you are about to sew. place a few pins to keep it all in place.

5. Sew the seam from the top to the inside "V" stopping at the bottom point of the triangle. turn the piece around..sew a few stitches...clip the threads...remove from machine.

6. Now the "magic"...Place a pin in the last point of the triangle...fold over the seam of the joined piece...bring the pin from the triangle over to the right top point of the joined piece...adjust & flatten it all and there you have the last seam to be done..pin as you did for the other seam..this time you will sew from the bottom point of the triangle to the outside of the piece...place the piece as if you were sewing it upside down...place the needle a few stitches from the point of the triangle...sew to the point exactly!!! then turn around and sew to the outside edge of the piece.

7. I don't like to fix or backstitch at the point..it creates bumps and distorts the seam for me. I find sewing "to" the point then turning it around leaves a clean "finish" to the "Y" . I finger press and don't press with an iron until the section is finished...it might create a crease where you don't want it.

I keep pins in ever section so that the paper doesn't shift away from where it's supposed to be...and most important is not to sew past the sewing line of where the "Y" seams meet. I call it the point.

Termi 04-03-2012 07:33 AM

Honchey, thanks so much!!!!!! I've made a copy of your instructions to take up to the sewing room.

Anael 04-03-2012 07:57 AM

Spring break......I forgot we had a break :D Thanks for reminding!

dublb 04-03-2012 12:14 PM

QNS what a place for us ta stop! Can we sew on the patio??? I've always wanted ta sew outside, but can't because of the weather. I have hand quilted outside the very few times the weather was good. The wind is blowing now.To much trouble ta take the sewing machine out only for the weather ta change.:)

dublb 04-03-2012 12:15 PM

I love this idea for a spring break. At least I won't get any further behind.

QuiltingNinaSue 04-03-2012 02:56 PM

Virtual camping in the "rough"(fully equipped RV) is where anything can happen and leave your cash $$$ at home because you are the "guests" and you are being catered too

...Yes, dublb, you can quilt on the patio and ask it be set up for you and whatever you need.

An eccentric recluse elderly person owns the RV, the transportation, pool and spa and town, and has invited us as special guests during Spring Break. So let us live it up on QB. Sure its all make-believe, but its nice to dream a bit this time of year. So, come on, add a line or two to this fantasy trip.

What do you want to see on the menu? Your favorite dish which is??? Your favorite quilting pattern that you love or have actually done lately?