Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Week 4 "Basket of Flowers & Betty's Delight" Photo Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-week-4-basket-flowers-bettys-delight-photo-page-t176861.html)

gardnergal970 02-02-2012 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=janRN;4932310]Gardenergal, I just re-read my post re templates and it sounds so snooty-I apologise. I wasn't suggesting that you were doing something wrong. I was suggesting check your printer. I should read my replies before I hit send--so sorry. Can I blame DH? He was prowling around suggesting it was time for lunch and I was "suggesting" maybe he get his own LOL. So sorry!

No offense taken. Virtual communication does leave something to be desired at times since we can't pick up the body language which often is half the meaning! I'm used to working with plastic templates that don't shift or get in the way of my rotary cutter like paper does so I know that it's the template making that is my biggest problem! I have my printer set for 100% so everything starts out correct and my blocks come out size wise but some of the pieces have to be eased...I'm working on my pressing too.

Honchey 02-02-2012 06:25 AM

[

I have my printer set for 100% so everything starts out correct and my blocks come out size wise but some of the pieces have to be eased...I'm working on my pressing too.[/QUOTE]

Gardnergal, I'm not sure if you're aware that fabric sewn on the crosswise width will stretch more than on the straight side. When I find that one section is a little fuller than the piece it's being sewn to... I pin the intersections then I place that side on the bottom...the feed dogs will ease it in most times. ...use a little steam and by magic (most times) it all settles in place....

Honchey 02-02-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 4932274)
Yeah Honchey, back on the trail ride you are and posting cute blocks to boot. Nice basket fabric. It reminds me of the plaid design used by Thermos back in the day when I carried my lunch to country school! And the brown in the Betty block looks like dark brown worn leather.
Termi the stars so complement the dark blue fabric. Neat little flowers popping out of the the basket. If you had problems it doesn't show.

the brown fabric has a paintbrush effect with a little red and blue . it's very hard to see. very faint.

gardnergal970 02-02-2012 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey (Post 4934748)
[

Gardnergal, I'm not sure if you're aware that fabric sewn on the crosswise width will stretch more than on the straight side. When I find that one section is a little fuller than the piece it's being sewn to... I pin the intersections then I place that side on the bottom...the feed dogs will ease it in most times. ...use a little steam and by magic (most times) it all settles in place....

Thanks, Honchey. I'm working on that process. I don't always figure out which "leg" of the triangle should be on the straight grain.

oksewglad 02-02-2012 09:31 AM

Yes ggal, grain lines especially on the triangles would've been helpful. Basic premise is to place the st of grain on the side that is on the outside of the block. In the case of those paralleograms (sp?) in A Beauty use the longest sides for st of grain.
Someone in the FWS suggested using double sided tape between the template and your fabric b/4 you cut it out. I have used card stock to print the templates on too. It's more sturdy than paper and as for tape I took a strip and rolled it into a circle sticky side out to create my own 2 sided tape. It worked for me on A Beauty.

JeanieG 02-02-2012 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=gardnergal970;4934665]

Originally Posted by janRN (Post 4932310)
Gardenergal, I just re-read my post re templates and it sounds so snooty-I apologise. I wasn't suggesting that you were doing something wrong. I was suggesting check your printer. I should read my replies before I hit send--so sorry. Can I blame DH? He was prowling around suggesting it was time for lunch and I was "suggesting" maybe he get his own LOL. So sorry!

No offense taken. Virtual communication does leave something to be desired at times since we can't pick up the body language which often is half the meaning! I'm used to working with plastic templates that don't shift or get in the way of my rotary cutter like paper does so I know that it's the template making that is my biggest problem! I have my printer set for 100% so everything starts out correct and my blocks come out size wise but some of the pieces have to be eased...I'm working on my pressing too.

I've been printing mine on card stock and that gives a little better edge for the rotary cutter. I can place a ruler on the edge of the card stock and cut. However, I just usually mark around my templates and cut them out with scissors. Works great for me.

mirabelle 02-03-2012 02:24 AM

I measured my first few blocks and they all ended up at 8 inches so I'm a happy camper, must be my printer.... Everyones computer and printer are different so as long as the blocks all end up the same size it works for me

gardnergal970 02-03-2012 05:45 AM

Thanks all for the template tips. I will keep working on it. I've looked at next week and may try paper piecing.

QuiltE 02-04-2012 10:59 AM

I'm in Catch-up Mode ... Ladies and Gent!! ....

Template Discussion ... Interesting about the different sizes.
When printing ... be sure to check that you have "No Scaling" selected. I missed that a couple of times on my FWS. Luckily only made one block where I didn't catch it and then had to re-make.

Fabric Stretch Discussion ... One thing I've learned since joining the QB is the value of starching fabric, particularly when dealing with bias cuts or stretch potential. Before QB, I never used starch or sizing til the quilt was finished. Oh what a change it can make throughout the process! And bonus ... very little fraying when starched. I've started hoarding starch as it's getting very hard to find here in Canada ... and sizing is not sold any longer.

Honchey ... Perfect basket, straight as can be with those lines and with the handle matching right up. Flowers are so nicely blended with the background and the basket! And precision on all those seams for dear Betty!

OKSGlad ... good eye on the plaid Thermos! I always envied the others with the fancy thermos' and lunch pails. My Mom would never let us have them ... boring and plain were ours!

Termi ... Great fabrics for both blocks. I particularly like the freshness that shows with the basket fabrics.

QuiltingNinaSue 02-04-2012 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Basket of flowers:[ATTACH=CONFIG]308921[/ATTACH]and herbs. And Betty's delight: Kicking up her heels & throwing her hat into the ring:[ATTACH=CONFIG]308922[/ATTACH]