Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 34 Old Indian Trail & Pansy Discussion Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-quilt-along-wk-34-old-indian-trail-pansy-discussion-page-t198946.html)

oksewglad 08-30-2012 06:06 AM

My rule of thumb is at $9 a yard for fabric--an inch width of fabric costs us a quarter. I have trouble tossing a quarter into the trash. A 5 inch charm is worth 15 cents and a layer cake 60 cents. Your 2 1/2 strip would also be worth over 60 cents. We must have been raised by the same kind of parents--waste not, want not.:)

Honchey 08-30-2012 06:27 AM

I love scraps and I don't throw out anything... I have several Huggies Wipes flip top containers is several areas where I cut, sew, press....and just push into them threads and pieces too small for crumb blocks. I am saving these "scraps to use as a filling for other projects....I place a pile of these "scraps" on a cutting mat and then rotary cut them into a finer pile with less lumps...no waste at all...I even save the trimmings from the pping blocks...future filling for pot holders...pin cushions..mug rugs/coasters...

JeanieG 08-30-2012 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 (Post 5478641)
Thanks, Jeanie. I've already found some very good ideas. I've sort of started to cut strips but this will take me to the next level. I agree with her that scraps are as expensive as the original yardage and that's why I've been so reluctant to give them away like some do.

I answered an ad on Freecycle several months ago. The gal had fabric scraps to give away. Those fabric scraps were 2 large bags full of scraps and miscellaneous fabric. I was astounded! I told her if she had any more that I would be delighted to take them off her hands. Well, she emailed me about two months later with another large bag of "scraps". Apparently she works with several other ladies and they do charity quilts, but none of them use the left overs. Needless to say, I have them all cut into several sizes of squares and strips ready for a scrappy quilt. Whatever is left over from a binding, or border they just toss, as well as already cut strips that were left over from a project.

QuiltingNinaSue 08-30-2012 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My organized sewing table/design pad might give wonder to why I lose a few pieces in the process:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]359036[/ATTACH], but I know its there somewhere! See why I need help, Mirabelle, CarrieM and the rest of you neat "chick" "hens"??? Room and board until its finished!! LOL!! Thought we needed a bit of laughter; its better than crying over the mess....or is that 'spilled cream' we laughed instead of cried over on the farm.

JeanieG 08-30-2012 11:46 AM

Oh Dear! Where to begin! That would be the main problem! :D

QuiltingNinaSue 08-30-2012 12:23 PM

I earned my pilot's license at a young age working with Grandma: we piled it here and piled it there. Simply took a big square box and slid it off the table into the box. Now the table is all clear again. That way I will 'discover' different fabric when I dump it out on the table again!! The rest of the story on how my blocks end up so different each time!! LOL!!

oksewglad 08-30-2012 02:10 PM

What a hoot! QNS!! Hmmm, did we have the same Grandma?
Thanks for saving the scraps from the landfill, Jeanie. Seems a lot of us cut from the same cloth
:D

dublb 08-30-2012 04:02 PM

I save everything too! I gotta git it organized! I can't find anything!:D

JeanieG 08-30-2012 05:43 PM

Here you go dublb - Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User System. When I finish a project, I cut all the smaller left over fabric into squares/strips and save in clear show boxes by size. I use the squares as leaders/enders, making twosies, then foursies.

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

dublb 08-30-2012 06:15 PM

Yes Jeanie; Bonnie is great! I've been plannin' ta do her system for a long while. I just gotta do it, but I keep goin' ta Brady instead. :) I also gotta git the boxes & boxes o' books outta that room & outta my way. I've got built in bookcases in the living room in Brady that I want ta put those books in.