Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-continued-t280960.html)

sewbizgirl 06-10-2017 02:02 PM

Oh, they will be some pretty Christmas lap quilts for people who are hospitalized over the Christmas holiday. My local group makes quilts for the organ transplant unit at our University hospital in Jackson MS. (University of MS Medical Center). Last year we started doing the Christmas ones and they brought a lot of joy to the patients. Can't wait to make some for this Christmas. So much fun.

My favorite is the print with the birds and holly on it. Anyone care to suggest some good patterns to try?

mmac71 06-10-2017 04:14 PM

Wow! Nice Haul....SewBiz

givio 06-10-2017 04:53 PM

The bird fabric is my favorite! That is a darling print!

oksewglad 06-10-2017 09:33 PM

With the large scale of the bird print, you may want to use a pattern that uses large squares..I'd hate to see it cut up so one would see partial birds; maybe a pattern that uses layer cake cuts.....pretty pieces

sewbizgirl 06-11-2017 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 7841367)
With the large scale of the bird print, you may want to use a pattern that uses large squares..I'd hate to see it cut up so one would see partial birds; maybe a pattern that uses layer cake cuts.....pretty pieces

Good idea. Maybe bird centers and smaller prints surrounding?

oksewglad 06-11-2017 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7841458)
Good idea. Maybe bird centers and smaller prints surrounding?

Exactly....

givio 06-11-2017 01:13 PM

I think fussy cut birds would be nice. Always more time consuming, and more wasted fabric that way though.

sewbizgirl 06-11-2017 05:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by givio (Post 7841737)
I think fussy cut birds would be nice. Always more time consuming, and more wasted fabric that way though.

I was thinking something like the Warm Wishes pattern would be nice. It can feature squares of the focus fabrics without having to cut them up too much.

If yinz think of any other good ones, holler at me. I will be making several lap quilts.

Here's one I was making to donate to the hospital out of some awesome fishy batik I got at Paducah last year during the show. Not so sure I can let it go now... I love it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574419[/ATTACH]

oksewglad 06-11-2017 07:54 PM

This pattern would work very well using a red in the dark angled pieces! Nicely done!

QuiltingNinaSue 06-14-2017 11:07 AM

Love your new fabric SBG. and your quilt pattern above. Ok used a pattern Warm and Cozy, but it was different I think.

I have been off line for about three day with Cousin Mary here...we had a lot of fun getting a start on her Log Cabin Quilt. Hope to get it done fefore end of the month. Quilter 65 says she has time foe another shop hop trip on Monday, so will see how well that works out. Details are pending. Not really looking for anymore projects. But temptation might occur.:)