Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-continued-t280960.html)

sewbizgirl 07-01-2017 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 7855584)
What could be unacceptable with a sewn binding? It's one of the reasons I don't like quilt shows. As if there is a 'proper way' to make a binding, let alone anything about a quilt. It's a creative process, unique to the individual making it, and they can make it any way they want IMHO.

I agree! But if you care about the "judging", they used to score points off for a machine sewn binding. The rules for this show say nothing about it, tho, so a sewn binding should be fine. As long as it looks good, that is. I can make the binding look the best when sewing it down by hand, but it takes SO LONG. Who has time for that? Especially when the part in question is on the BACK. :hunf:

JeanieG 07-01-2017 08:33 PM

I always sew my bindings by machine. I have arthritic hands/fingers, and just cannot do hand sewing any more. I would never put anything in a show anyway! I am just glad I can still manipulate the fabrics and sew by machine!

givio 07-03-2017 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got the center done for my granddaughter's quilt. Hoping to get a lot done tomorrow, as I have the day off of work. Her birthday is this month! I don't want to be late with my gift.

JeanieG 07-03-2017 07:17 PM

Love it Givio, so scrappy!!! Also so girly with the pinks!!!

sewbizgirl 07-03-2017 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 7857185)
I've got the center done for my granddaughter's quilt. Hoping to get a lot done tomorrow, as I have the day off of work. Her birthday is this month! I don't want to be late with my gift.

Love what you have done with the pinks from the color swap! It's beautiful.

QuiltingNinaSue 07-04-2017 03:43 AM

wow, Givio, you are doing a wonderful job on DGD blocks and quilt. Love to see the picture when it is done.

Progress on the border of the Wild Geese Flying and progress on cousin Mary's sewing of the nine patch on point. She is have fun. She also picked up from the floor a piece of gold/brown fabric to finish the binding strip on the S&W I could not believe it had gotten pushed off the table....hurrah! Happy day!

Happy Fourth of July to all. Enjoy the day, create memories to last all year long.

oksewglad 07-04-2017 04:14 AM

Lots of chatter while I was gone...what a week+....went much better than I expected. How do I catch up on sleep? Most of the laundry is done...not much else...laer

QuiltingNinaSue 07-09-2017 06:01 PM

I am ripping again...rip, rip and rip some more. Taking off borders from the Wild Geese Flying. My bed is a queen and the 98 inch square quilt was on the floor on each side. Too far for me. So glad. Cannot handle big bulky weight of a large quilt. Followed the directions and now I will asapt them to a smaller, much smaller border.

Have a wonderful week.

givio 07-09-2017 06:55 PM

98"! I agree, that would be too big for me too. I made one that was 96" I think, and I told myself to never make one so big again to keep. If it's for someone else, well, then fine. But I think after they are washed and crinkle up, they tend to be several inches smaller than when you are ironing the top though.

I got a round done for my granddaughter's pink quilt. I made some blocks for the top and bottom, to make it into a rectangle. One or two more sewing sessions and it should be done. :-) Must look for something to use for the back.

sewbizgirl 07-09-2017 07:28 PM

I found some adorable pink elephants fabric for a dollar a yard at Walmart yesterday! It was good quality cotton, on clearance. I bought 5 yards so I can use some for I Spys and some for a girls quilt back. It pays to check the fabric clearance when you are at Walmart!